Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-30-2012, 10:20 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
That part is so horrifying! I loved the breeder I found, loved the litter she had planned and had already been talking to her for a WHILE. I was horrified at the thought of "...what if the price is too high and I have to back out? what would I even say?! how?!"

Thank goodness the price was right and she was willing to work with me!
It's SO hard when you know the breeder is awesome and doing everything right, because you don't want to offend them if their puppies are out of your price range.

I'm so afraid I'm going to pick a different breed someday (I'd LOVE a Mudi), fall in love with the breeder, and then learn that their puppies are $4000 a piece. Thankfully, chihuahuas and border collies are VERY rarely priced over $2000 a puppy. Border collies tend to fall in the "under $1000 range," and chihuahuas are under $1500.

But still! If I found a breeder I absolutely LOVED and their puppies were amazing and the most awesome puppies ever, and were $3000 a piece, I'd feel so strange telling them I couldn't do it. It's always in the back of my mind when I contact breeders. I'm like, "pllllleeeeeasssseeee let them be in my price range!"

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
It's SO hard when you know the breeder is awesome and doing everything right, because you don't want to offend them if their puppies are out of your price range.

I'm so afraid I'm going to pick a different breed someday (I'd LOVE a Mudi), fall in love with the breeder, and then learn that their puppies are $4000 a piece. Thankfully, chihuahuas and border collies are VERY rarely priced over $2000 a puppy. Border collies tend to fall in the "under $1000 range," and chihuahuas are under $1500.

But still! If I found a breeder I absolutely LOVED and their puppies were amazing and the most awesome puppies ever, and were $3000 a piece, I'd feel so strange telling them I couldn't do it. It's always in the back of my mind when I contact breeders. I'm like, "pllllleeeeeasssseeee let them be in my price range!"
and there is always that fear that they'll be super offended like I don't think their puppies are worth it, or worse, think that because I won't pay $3000 for a puppy that I can't afford care for a dog.. which of course isn't true, I just don't want to pay that much as an initial purchase price!

and I think that's why people very often ask owners of dogs how much they paid. Sometimes it really isn't a judgement or anything.. just more of a "It's easier to ask you than to ask the breeder!"

I would hate to get my hopes up and I would hate to waste a breeders time only to find out they are out of my price range.

Please, breeders of the world.. list average ballpark price range on your website. People who can't/won't pay that much won't inquire and those that do inquire don't have to deal with the horror of asking.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:39 AM
Top Dog

It doesn't bother me so much when people say "she's a rescue" to explain (I don't want to say excuse) their dogs behavior.

I often see people with AWESOMELY well behaved dogs, champions at dog sports, service dogs, etc...and the people will gladly say "she's a rescue" which no one scoffs at.

If your dog was beaten by a man and rescued and she's nervous around men, or if your dog never walked on a leash until it was 4 years old and it's pulling and jumping around and being a jerk about it, I don't think there's anything wrong with telling people (especially at a park or day care or a pet store) that the dog was a rescue. ESPECIALLY if you're a trainer or dog walker, and you don't want people to think you just can't handle the dog for no reason.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-30-2012, 11:01 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
and I think that's why people very often ask owners of dogs how much they paid. Sometimes it really isn't a judgement or anything.. just more of a "It's easier to ask you than to ask the breeder!"
That makes sense logically and yet the cultural taboo of asking such a question is so strong for me that unless I was specifically planning to get a puppy from that very breeder and really knew the person, I'm not sure I could ask. I'd rather have the discussion with the breeder even if I'm not sure how it will go. But that is nerve-wracking too...I mean buying a puppy is such a weird mess of conflicting protocols...at the end of the day you are buying a loved family member...so how do you put a price on that...and the breeder is selling a living soul...so again...but on the other hand there is reality and things like going rates and potential and what has gone into the litter to think of so the breeder is fairly reimbursed and you aren't living in a box down by the river...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-30-2012, 05:49 PM
Felurian

Quote:

Please, breeders of the world.. list average ballpark price range on your website. People who can't/won't pay that much won't inquire and those that do inquire don't have to deal with the horror of asking.
SO agree with you, Fran!

I think a lot of people ask simply because they don't have any idea how much legit breeders charge and it IS easier to ask someone standing there with a dog from one than to find one and ask, especially when they're curious but not ready to seriously look for a dog.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-30-2012, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

I'm fairly certain most of my friends would have NO idea of even a ballpark range of what a breeder would charge. You can find out about pet store prices, or craigslist prices, or adoption fees, but those aren't usually comparable to breeder prices.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-30-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm All Ears

Luckily everybody I've talked to has had a price up front.