Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-29-2012, 01:20 PM
Not a Border Collie

I'm totally guilty for asking that question - what I'm really getting at is "what breeder is he/she from?" but I don't want to just assume the dog is from a breeder, especially if the owner may be a RESCUE ONLY nutjob. Although sometimes I will ask "is he/she from a breeder?" if it's pretty clear the dog is purebred and quality (example, beautiful, correct Dobe puppy that came into work last month with a very good crop job).

When asked where I got Quinn, I say I got her from a breeder in town name. Most people are happy with that and the subject changes, but I will tell them her name if they seem genuinely interested in the breed. It's not uncommon for a real dog person to say "Oh, breeder's name right" when I mention Quinn's breed and/or what town she's from, as her breeders are pretty involved with the AAC, which is pretty cool, and I always confirm.

My next puppy may be coming from Oregon, so it will be interesting to see if I get any weird looks or responses lol. All of my dogs to date have been fairly local (same province)!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It seems like everyone has a Border collie here, and a lab. It amazes me.
Everybody here has a Border Collie or a Border Collie mix. Everybody. Well, those who have a dog. Or if they don't have a BC/mix right now, they've had one fairly recently

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-29-2012, 02:20 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I'm totally guilty for asking that question - what I'm really getting at is "what breeder is he/she from?" but I don't want to just assume the dog is from a breeder, especially if the owner may be a RESCUE ONLY nutjob. Although sometimes I will ask "is he/she from a breeder?" if it's pretty clear the dog is purebred and quality (example, beautiful, correct Dobe puppy that came into work last month with a very good crop job).

When asked where I got Quinn, I say I got her from a breeder in town name. Most people are happy with that and the subject changes, but I will tell them her name if they seem genuinely interested in the breed. It's not uncommon for a real dog person to say "Oh, breeder's name right" when I mention Quinn's breed and/or what town she's from, as her breeders are pretty involved with the AAC, which is pretty cool, and I always confirm.

My next puppy may be coming from Oregon, so it will be interesting to see if I get any weird looks or responses lol. All of my dogs to date have been fairly local (same province)!
You know, for some reason, I thought Quinn was from Maine.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-29-2012, 02:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
People are aghast at how much we paid for her - $275.

My best friend said to me, "Yeah, when I get a dog I don't want to spend that much on the purchase price. I mean, I know it was worth it to you, but I can't imagine spending as much as you spent on Elsie--I mean it must have been, what, two hundred dollars at least?"

Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red.Apricot View Post
My best friend said to me, "Yeah, when I get a dog I don't want to spend that much on the purchase price. I mean, I know it was worth it to you, but I can't imagine spending as much as you spent on Elsie--I mean it must have been, what, two hundred dollars at least?"

Oh wow, good thing she doesn't know Elsie's actual price!
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
Top Dog

It's a bit different here....every single person asks how much my dog costed. It's really awkward. I don't want to be like I don't want to say but when I do say, first I feel awkward and second the most common response is that's so expensive! Or you got ripped off! I think it's pretty stupid and I never really know what to say without being really awkward. I say I got her from a show breeder usually but then the next question is always how much was she....or do you want to breed her to my dog. People in my area are crazy lol.

I've literally been asked more than 40-50 times about the cost of Nia. I don't think it's appropriate really.
Old 11-29-2012, 04:39 PM
Silence, peasants.

Since Wesley came from the state I live in, when asked I say 'from a breeder in X town'. I don't really want to give out her name because while she wasn't awful, she definitely saw it as a business and bred too much. She had accidental litters between her collie and poodle, Wesley's mother was wonderful in temperament but they kept his Dad on the porch because he was loopy, haha. None of their dogs were trained at all.

I know so much more now: Live and learn, as they say!

I just wouldn't recommend her to someone looking for a dog, but people we meet on the beach and out and about 'want a dog like Wesley'. However, he was probably the cheapest standard poodle ever, lol.
Old 11-29-2012, 06:36 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiyo-Fir View Post
It's a bit different here....every single person asks how much my dog costed. It's really awkward. I don't want to be like I don't want to say but when I do say, first I feel awkward and second the most common response is that's so expensive! Or you got ripped off! I think it's pretty stupid and I never really know what to say without being really awkward. I say I got her from a show breeder usually but then the next question is always how much was she....or do you want to breed her to my dog. People in my area are crazy lol.

I've literally been asked more than 40-50 times about the cost of Nia. I don't think it's appropriate really.
Maybe you should just politely tell people that if they have to ask then they probably aren't ready for one, or any specific breed at that..... Most people can find out a good base range of a particular breed if they are that interested. Or just give them a variable answer from byb price (not recommended) on upwards to $$ from a reputable breeder.

http://www.tulipscloset.net/
Old 11-29-2012, 06:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I've asked that question to a few people. I was looking for a lab breeder whose type I liked, so if I saw a gorgeous Lab, I'd ask the owner where they got him from. Asking that question actually pointed me in the direction of my two top Lab breeder picks in my area. Also a chessie breeder.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 11-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I will occasionally ask people where they got their dog, especially if it's a rarer breed, just because I'm always interested in what local breeders are around. I would never flat out ask what someone paid for a dog, that just seems...rude?

As for Frodo, nobody has ever just asked, if they ask it's after I tell them they can't pet him. And usually it's "awww, was he a rescue? " No, he's just nuts!

For Siri, if I get asked I will probably just say she's from a breeder in Canada.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.