Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-28-2012, 09:05 AM
Top Dog

Default Has anyone worked at an Animal Shelter or Rescue?

I'm not talking about volunteering, I'm talking about a paid, professional position at a not-for-profit shelter.

A very, very large, no-kill, not-for-profit, private shelter here is hiring both a rescue coordinator and a trainer. I qualify for both positions, and am applying. I don't know how much the pay, though - it just says "based on experience" (which I have, but most of my experience is volunteer work).

I know the trainer gets full benefits, not sure about the coordinator position. I'd LOVE to do a job like this, but it's not exactly right around the corner - it would be an hour commute each way, and if it's not paying much more than minimum wage, it won't be worth taking. It would also mean taking less classes, and taking longer to finish my degree.

*sigh*. If I could do this part time, or it was closer, I'd be so into it.

Anyway, what was anyone experience working professionally in rescue? Was it enjoyable/torture/rewarding/decent pay/not enough money/etc?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2012, 10:47 AM
Glutton for Crazy

No but I have done a working interview at one. It was a rough job, a lot of wonderful people, but the pay was low and I have experience which allowed for a higher pay elsewhere. I do have two friends who're long term professionals at shelters (amongst many other acquaintances) and they really do love their jobs.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:08 PM
We are Home.

With a baby on the way I would think about the hour commute. That is 2 hrs you will be paying a babysitter/daycare that you wont be getting paid. Are you going to be able to do a physically demanding job 6 weeks after the baby is born and prior? What if baby gets sick and you have to rush back to get them from the daycare?

Otherwise if you can live on it I would say go for it! It sounds like a interesting job and would be a foot in the door for the future.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-28-2012, 02:24 PM
Behavior Nerd

I was the behavior coordinator at a large open admission shelter. I got pretty burned out after 3 years of 45+ hour weeks. I negotiated my pay - I was salaried but I ended up with the equivalent of about $15/hr and that was much higher than several of my similarly "ranked" coworkers.