Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 08:28 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Oh, it irritates me to no end when people do the unspoken greeting thing, because usually they're acting as though they're trying to gather their dog, but, oh, what can they really do? The puppies want to say HI!

On the sidewalk, I gather up my dogs and for most people that's enough, although I've still had some approach directly (without asking) even then. The funny thing is that when people do ask and I politely decline, "No thanks, sorry!" they glare at me. So why did you even ask?

Pet stores are the worst. Dogs just appear around the end of the aisle on flexi-leashes with no owner in sight. I usually say loudly, "Oh excuse you, where's your owner? Not paying much attention huh?" and then I shoo them away dramatically.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:30 AM
Club Terrible - President

I don't let my dogs greet on leash. We walk on by.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:13 AM
Top Dog

If Tucker seems interested in greeting and it's a dog I know he'll like I'll ask them if they can meet. If they say no or it's the sort of dog I know Tucker will not enjoy (he doesn't react well to large dogs anymore unless they are the ones he knows already) I'll usually have him sit and do LAT so they can pass without him barking.

I'll never let him greet a dog without asking unless the owner asks/makes it clear they want them to meet or I already know dog and owner and the dogs get to greet every time we see them.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 11-28-2012, 09:25 AM
Not a Border Collie

Quinn is dog reactive so obviously no on leash greeting for us. I ask for her attention, maybe give her a leave it cue and we walk past. I may smile at the person to kind of gauge their intentions - if they slow down or let their dogs walk ahead I tell them that she's not good with other dogs and I put myself between them.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 11-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Top Dog

I guide mine as far to the side as reasonable, and pass by. People generally take the hint, and keep their dogs away. Tess is a bit reactive on leash, so I very much do not want her to "say hi". Particularly since she sometimes does the thing where she goes towards the other dog like she intends an appropriate greeting, then snarks at it when she gets close. She's never bitten another dog, but it scares people. Pi is perfectly fine with other dogs, but he doesn't need more friends, and I don't really trust other people's dogs.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 AM
Top Dog

We don't do leashed greetings. I bring her in close, step to the side, and walk past.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:43 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Oh wait, I will say... everybody seems to approach because Keeva is small and cute.

Have not had that problem with the Malinois. Even in her pretty pink jacket!

Old 11-28-2012, 09:52 AM
Professional Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post

Count yourself lucky! It seemed that everybody wanted to meet Harry, and he wanted their liver with a side of fava beans.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:55 AM
Bite Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Yeah I haven't had anyone approach, dog or not, when I'm with Riley LOL Most people cross the street when they see us coming... He is DR anyways, so I will cross the street if they don't.

Aura is fine, but I would still walk around the people/dog and not make any effort to meet.

~Aura & Riley~
Old 11-28-2012, 09:59 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by stafinois View Post
Count yourself lucky! It seemed that everybody wanted to meet Harry, and he wanted their liver with a side of fava beans.
LOL! A man outside of a retirement home did start yelling, "POOCHIE!!! POOCHIE! COME HERE LITTLE POOCHIE!!!" at us yesterday, which made Blossom bark (she's unsure of strangers).

I said, "Oh sorry, she doesn't like strangers!"

"WHAT'S THE MATTER POOCHIE?! YOU DON'T LIKE STRANGERS?!?! WHY NOT POOCHIE?!"

LOL