Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 12:18 AM
Top Dog

If I really don't want to meet someone while walking by on the street, I try to keep my dog in heel and avoid eye contact. Usually body language works, and generally my dogs are more interested in the walk than the other dog.

If I'm at a store I guess I don't really care as I only bring good dogs with me, heh. I don't love the on leash meeting thing though as plenty of dogs snark pretty badly. I'd actually prefer not to meet any dog as I don't want my dogs anticipating that (okay it sounds good in my head).

Old 11-28-2012, 12:24 AM
Resident fainting goat

Keep walking.
We live in a city full of dogs and if I started on-leash greetings we would never get anywhere.
The rule of the regular every-day walk is basically straight ahead by my side walking. playing, greeting other dogs, going to the bathroom etc... are for after you are released (usually this happens at the park or somewhere less hectic than the busy sidewalk) although I also have a cue for "go say hi" to greet people because yea, I am always happy to let PEOPLE come say hi.

Side-walks are hectic..lots of people, dogs, food, garbage, pigeons, cars in close proximity, noise etc.. so I prefer to just teach that sidewalks are for calmly walking instead of creating even more chaos by teaching that sidewalks are also ok for playing/going to go see other dogs.
I will either have my dog sit on the other side of me/go as far away from the person and dog as possible/yell something like "OH HE HAS KENNEL COUGH, IT'S CONTAGIOUS!" if they are really persistent

I don't know what I'm going to do with new puppy once he/she gets older..I've never had a dog that when faced with annoying out of control dogs I couldn't just pick up! lol
Old 11-28-2012, 12:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I give a quick "with me" which is their cue to get to my side and keep walking. I don't typically let the dogs meet on leash. It's easier than trying to go through the "do they want them to meet? Is their dog friendly? Is it too tense? Is my dog too tense?"
^This with Grace (my friendly and very confident girl) but with Abby I usually cross the street if possible. If this is impossible, I give as wide a berth as I can manage. She is reactive and although there are times where I can keep her focused on me and it works out just fine - I like to keep my distance. For everybody's stress levels.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:59 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I cross the street if possible. If other people cross the street I smile at them in thanks. If I had enough money I would totally give out dollar bills to people who cross the street to increase the chance they would do it again! lol

If we are on a path or something I ask for Frodo's attention and reinforce heavily as we pass. If the other person's dog seems out of control I will pull Frodo off to the side and do LAT so that I can keep an eye on the other dog and deal with it accordingly.
Lol... I should've read further. This is so what happens when I'm with Abby!
Old 11-28-2012, 01:11 AM
Love My Mutt <3

y'all just need a scarier dog, then people will cross the street for you.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-28-2012, 02:58 AM
Top Dog

^ People find Rosey scary?
Old 11-28-2012, 03:15 AM
Top Dog

Depends. If we are sitting there and talking, I might leave Zander open for a greeting, but otherwise I try to keep him by me. He can get over-zealous and rude when it comes to other dogs because he wants to PLAY. And not all dogs like that.

Nor does it appeal to me to watch my dog happily shoving his head practically in the jaws of another dog like a complete idiot.

So we have to keep our walks some what idiot-proof. For Zander and other people.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Rosey's generally on my right hand side, and I'm walking on the right side of the sidewalk, so I'm always inbetween her and other people/dogs.
I do that too. My Poochi is very well behaved. She thinks all dogs are her friends but you would never know what kind of temperament the other dog has. I only allow leash greetings if my dog is already acquainted with the other dog.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:49 AM
Behavior Nerd

I also put my dog in heel and pass by. If their dog has already rushed into my dog's space, I'll immediately step back and loosen the leash to allow for a more natural greeting, but quickly ask my dog for attention and heel after the greeting is over.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:58 AM
Top Dog

I always find this kind of awkward too. Because sometimes people have that look, like, they want our dogs to greet, but don't actually SAY anything, so sometimes we'll give the awkward looks to each other and decide last minute if I'm just going to keep going, or what not. Nowadays, typically, I just keep going. But I used to let Jackson say hi to most dogs that ever walked by us, if the people were also initiating it, but now I've turned into a snob and don't feel like small talk, LOL

Brit & Jackson