Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-27-2012, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

Question Walk-By Etiquette

I've been curious about this for a while and I'm sure there's no 'right' answer. How do you react when you are walking your dog and another dog walks by? )Assume it's on a leash held by a human.) Do you let the dogs greet, ignore the dog and keep walking, what?
I always find myself in this odd position of wanting to let them greet and not wanting to upset the owner. I find it hard to tell if someone wants my dog to meet their's or if they want to get from point A to point B without having to deal with anyone else. Usually I'm in doggy areas when this happens, but some dog people are very.....particular. (Trying not to rag on you small dog people, but...some people.... geeze!)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:13 PM
Twin 2

I give a quick "with me" which is their cue to get to my side and keep walking. I don't typically let the dogs meet on leash. It's easier than trying to go through the "do they want them to meet? Is their dog friendly? Is it too tense? Is my dog too tense?"

But to be honest normally I'm biking or at the dog park so the choices in each situation are taken out of my hands.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Rosey's generally on my right hand side, and I'm walking on the right side of the sidewalk, so I'm always inbetween her and other people/dogs.

As a general rule, I don't let her interact with anybody, human or dog, unless that person asks or makes it obvious they want to say hi. Whether that be they put out a hand, say hello to Rosey, or they let their dog come up towards her, which I find people do to kind of let you know their dog could say hi.

Honestly though, Rosey couldn't care less about other dogs, so it's not a problem for her. I have had a few people ask if their dog could say hi to Rosey, to which I tell them sure, if Rosey wants to, as long as I'm not on a schedule. Otherwise, I leave it. Usually tell them something like "oh, she can be a snob and doesn't always want to say hi to people or other dogs, but you can certainly try!"

What I hate is when I'm obviously trying to get her to the side/away from your dog, and you try and force the issue.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

I think it's usually good to say "Hey do you mind if they meet?" first. As far as the small dog people goes, My little one really doesn't care to greet any dog bigger than 30 pounds or so, so when I'm walking her I usually tend to try and avoid most other dogs.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

I move my dog to the side farthest from the other dog, tell them "leave it" just in case, and carry on. I will not let my dog greet some random dog we pass by.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:20 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I cross the street if possible. If other people cross the street I smile at them in thanks. If I had enough money I would totally give out dollar bills to people who cross the street to increase the chance they would do it again! lol

If we are on a path or something I ask for Frodo's attention and reinforce heavily as we pass. If the other person's dog seems out of control I will pull Frodo off to the side and do LAT so that I can keep an eye on the other dog and deal with it accordingly.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:39 PM
orange iguanas.

We don't do on leash greetings.
If someone asks me if our dogs can meet (which is super rare...), I'll think about it and see if Juno seems willing and how the other dog is acting. But I will never initiate it.

If we are walking through the neighborhood, I will cross to the other side of the street so that there's distance between us and the other person/dog. On a path, I have Juno move over to my right side so that I am between her and the other dog, and I keep her on a super short leash as we go by. She is reactive though so this is mostly just so she doesn't lunge at the other dog.

At pet stores I just want to slap people, because they don't seem to notice that I am trying to stay away from them and their dog. If I keep backing away from you, or putting my body between your dog and mine.... this does not mean I want our dog to say hi. So please respect our space and be mindful of your dog and keep the leash reeled in a bit. Siiiiiiigh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-27-2012, 11:59 PM
such sights to show you

Yea I don't care for leash greetings, either. We just go on by.

Old 11-28-2012, 12:03 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I switch dog to opposite side that the oncoming person's dog is on. If I have multiples we stop, and work on LAT.
Old 11-28-2012, 12:09 AM
Top Dog

My dogs know a side switch and do not move forward to greet another dog unless given permission and no rushing is allow either. I try to keep myself between my dog and a strange dog. I don't allow on leash greetings unless I know the dog and owner VERY well.