Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 09:38 AM
Glutton for Crazy

We have a new client with a dog called a "comfort retriever" that I do make fun of it though. It's a nasty little **** and the owner tries to claim it's a golden until you ask questions and come to find out it is 7/8th golden 1/8th poodle and expensive. That one gets chuckles and rolled eyes. That one gets written in the book as a doodle. :P
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:45 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Basically..that ^. It's not my job to judge the client or make them feel bad.. lol so they can call their dogs whatever they want. It's a small business with a heavy reliance on local customer loyalty and treating the customers with super friendliness.. my boss would NOT be ok with me getting all high and mighty on the doodle crowd.

and I'm sure SOME would be offended, even if not all.. not a risk I'm willing to take on someone elses business lol
This!

I really don't care if people want to call their dogs "doodle whatevers"- if their owners are taking them to doggy daycares, training facilities, and hiring dog walkers, I'm not going to make them angry and turn them off from doing these things with their dogs.

It's just not worth it.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Sport Model Pug

The doodle crowd here honestly believes their dogs are purebred and have no issues and have a superiority complex about it. It's sickening.

One lady was going on and on about how horrible rescue is and how horrible kennel club purebreds are and how they both have so many health issues and are hyperactive with nasty temperaments. So she's getting a purebred mini labradoodle because its going to be perfect in every way, the breeder promised. *rollseyes* Her words not mine...

One of the breeders here swears up and down to me that none of her dogs come up with food or enviro allergies. Well I've dealt with many of her customers and there are a ton of allergy issues, she just believes that because they're doodles they're immune to everything. It's just weird that people believe it.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-28-2012, 10:15 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
It doesn't bother me, honestly most purebreds are coming for equally as crappy breeders as the doodlenation.

I call borderstaffies borderstaffies and borderwhippets borderwhippets. I also call most purebreds purebred without seeing pedigrees.

I just take them in stride, I would presume some people lose business by being offensive and frankly I enjoy my clients.
Yea I really don't care what people call their dogs, I rarely even roll my eyes internally anymore. If we legit don't have the cutesy mix name in our system we'll list it as a "schnauzer/poodle cross" or whatever but just because it's easier, not to make a point.

And I figure at least if I can figure out the mix from the name I have SOME idea of what to expect.

Old 11-28-2012, 10:17 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I don't see the harm in calling them Maltipoos, Goldendoodles, etc.

I am jealous that the Golden/Labradoodles (least the ones around here) are such a nice red/dark orange color, the color Lincoln started at before he turned Orange lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I've become so immune to doodles, I forget they're an issue sometimes. Lol
LOL me too! I call 'em whatever doodles or poos, not so and so mixes.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I don't even flinch when people tell me about their 2 pound Morkie's anymore, lol, I'd say that is an improvement. Chorkie drives me nuts though, it sounds like you are trying to VOMIT! That's not even a nice word to say.

One of my favorite recent ones was a customer who Megan dealt with who had a "mini Goldendoodle" and do you know how they got the mini part? They mixed it with a cocker spaniel. Yet, it's still a mini GOLDENDOODLE.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-28-2012, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
We didnt have 'designer breeds' in our system so yes, would put them in as mixes. I coached the staff to ask "Is their coat/size/etc more like a breed a or more like breed b" and then explained we priced grooming by breed so needed to best resemblance to make an accurate estimate.
This.

If you're calling me and telling me you want to bring in your cavalier, or golden retriever, I have a pretty good idea of the dog's size, coat condition, etc.

If you call and tell me you've got a Cavapeekachon, I have no idea what that dog's coat is like, how big it is, what the heck I'm expected to do to it. A good portion of the time I really honestly have no idea what mix of breeds the people are even talking about, the names are so convoluted.

And considering just about every client I've ever said this to has returned every 6 weeks, often times they recommend us to friends, and send us quite lavish holiday gifts and tip very well, I really don't think they're very offended. People get more offended when you tell them their dog has an ear infection ("well he must have just caught it while he was there.") or that their dog needed to be muzzled ("he's SO well trained though, my husband watches the dog whisperer and just pins him down whenever he's bad") than they do when you tell them their dog is a mixed breed.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-2012, 11:04 AM
Felurian

I don't really give a rodent's rectum what someone else calls their dog . . . but sometimes the names they come up with are so comical that I wonder if they did it on purpose or totally missed it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
One of my favorite recent ones was a customer who Megan dealt with who had a "mini Goldendoodle" and do you know how they got the mini part? They mixed it with a cocker spaniel. Yet, it's still a mini GOLDENDOODLE.
Miniature golden retrievers are a thing now.

I'm 95% sure they're someone selling Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retrievers for $3000, but who knows.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com