Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-07-2005, 01:00 PM
Puppy Dog

Default puppy biting

ok, how do you get a puppy to stop biting? our little Shih Tzu thinks we are chew toys. we tell him "no" but that just gets him all excited. we try to ignore him but he just bites even more. he's also started to growl and try to snap at us when we pick him up. we always hold him and tell him the be quiet, and when his is we let him down. he plays with our cat, and eventually the cat will get fed up with him and attak him. as soon as the cat lets him up, he's right back at him for more. its like he doesnt get it, or maybe he's just really playful. we try to play with him as much as we can. iread somewhere that Shuh Tzus are ahrd to train, but this is rediculous.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:42 PM
Active Pup

when he starts chewing on you grab his bottom teeth and tell him no in a deep voice try this? might help ? alpha roll him mabe?
Old 01-07-2005, 07:29 PM
Felurian

When he starts that growling and snapping business put him in the bathroom and shut the door for awhile. It doesn't have to be very long, 10 minutes or so will usually do the trick. There is no worse punishment for a puppy than being alone, ignored and kept away from the fun everyone else is having. The cat's got the right idea!

As for the biting you when he plays, tell him 'No' then give him a toy he likes to chew on and when he takes the toy and starts gnawing on it lets him know he's a good boy.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-09-2005, 09:02 PM
Save a life: Rescue

Ugh..we were having the same problem with our pup, Sunny. A big problem with punishment was that she would wet herself when she was left alone (right after we got her from the shelter). We found that either grabbing her jaw or closing her mouth and telling her "NO" in a stern voice worked well. She rarely bites now...and when she does, she is reprimanded. Hope that helps!
Love and Spoil Your Pet
Old 01-14-2005, 01:16 AM
Allison&Ginger

never put your pupl down when he growls or bites at you! he'll say hey! all i have to do is growl or bite and i can get my way! i must be alpha dog here! when he does this, spread your fingers out lick a claw and gently use your "claw" like a mouth and "bite" him on the shoulder, you can do this on the ground too. this mouth acts like another dog putting him in his place. you can also take your mouth and lpace it on the tip of your dog's snout (a little weird, but it works.) another thing is to roll him on his belly and proudly stand on all fours over him with your hand biting him on the ground with his belly up. another *softer* way just to remind him you're dominant is to get on all fours and place one hand (curled under like a paw) on his shoulder.

all this will help establish dominance

allison

"A dog will never forget the crumb thoust gavest him, though thou mayst afterwards throw a hundred stones at his head." -Sa'Di-

"If a dog will not come to you after he has looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience." -Woodrow Wilson-

"My dog is half pit bull , half poodle. Not much of a watchdog, but a vicious gossip." -Craig Shoemaker-
Old 01-14-2005, 01:59 AM
Island dweller

You can also just abruptly walk away and ignore him for about 10 minutes. They won't want to stop there fun and games and will have to learn to play nicely.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:18 AM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsrmylife86
never put your pupl down when he growls or bites at you! he'll say hey! all i have to do is growl or bite and i can get my way! i must be alpha dog here! when he does this, spread your fingers out lick a claw and gently use your "claw" like a mouth and "bite" him on the shoulder, you can do this on the ground too. this mouth acts like another dog putting him in his place. you can also take your mouth and lpace it on the tip of your dog's snout (a little weird, but it works.) another thing is to roll him on his belly and proudly stand on all fours over him with your hand biting him on the ground with his belly up. another *softer* way just to remind him you're dominant is to get on all fours and place one hand (curled under like a paw) on his shoulder.

all this will help establish dominance

allison
we never put him down when he starts to gowl and snap. we just hold him and tell him to "be queit!" then as soon as he's quiet for awhile we put him down. he's getting the hang of that, now when you pick him up and he starts it, you only say "quiet" once or twice. do cats know about the alfa role? what you described is exactly what my cat does. they will play for awhile, then the cat will get on top of him and hold him dowm and bite him. usually he'll bite him till he yelps or we yell at him. i dont want the cat to hurt the little dog, he out weighs him by at least 14lbs. my puppy weights 4.5 lbs, my cat weighs 19lbs and stands 14 inches tall.

i'll try the 'claw' biting idea and see if that works.
Old 01-14-2005, 11:59 AM
Felurian

Be aware that if you try the 'claw biting' and he nips you, you've lost and it's back to square one - farther back, actually, because your unconscious reaction will be to jerk your hand out of harms' way and you've lost complete control at that point. If you try any of these techniques you've got to be willing to follow through just like a dog would follow through. You just don't do this unless you are supremely confident. I would also never, ever get down on all fours with my dogs. They understand the difference in standing on two legs and on four, and there is already an inborn instinct for 99% of the canine world to defer to mankind - on two legs.

Another thing to think about is that small dogs don't always react the same way big ones do. Small dogs are more likely to just learn to fear you from such aggressive techniques.

Try not yelling at the cat for putting the dog in it's place when he's being obnoxious. Cats are really very good at not using excessive force - better than many dogs, actually - and your cat is helping you train the dog. Don't undermine your cat's authority, he's the best ally you've got. If you really feel that you need to break something up, either distract the cat with something or just go pick him up, but be sure to pet him and let the dog know the cat has your approval. After all, the cat's not the one you're having the problem with.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-17-2005, 06:45 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il

Try not yelling at the cat for putting the dog in it's place when he's being obnoxious. Cats are really very good at not using excessive force - better than many dogs, actually - and your cat is helping you train the dog. Don't undermine your cat's authority, he's the best ally you've got. If you really feel that you need to break something up, either distract the cat with something or just go pick him up, but be sure to pet him and let the dog know the cat has your approval. After all, the cat's not the one you're having the problem with.

i'll do that. the more i watch them, the more i can tell he's not hurting the puppy. its almost like he knows about the whole alfa dog thing.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:59 PM
Island dweller

He does! They're the ones that invented it - not us.