Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Resident fainting goat

Fun fact: We had the little mouse (La petite souris) and not the tooth fairy lol I guess it's a european thing my mom picked up? but same concept.
I hope to go with tooth fairy for future kids. Fairies > Mice.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

Oh I forgot, definitely do NOT do the naughty/nice or good/bad thing
Old 11-26-2012, 10:14 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Oh yeah... don't really do the naughty/nice thing here either since I know I will not be able to withhold the presents I have for her LOL. I also don't want to taint the season with a "be good or else"

discipline is everyday stuff not the special stuff like Christmas. she may lose out on allowance money or have something taken away but not Christmas

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-26-2012, 11:30 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Obviously some of you here never read The Polar Express. >=|

*shakes bell*

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-27-2012, 12:04 AM
Top Dog

I got the Santa threat when I was little. Nothing about being good or thankful or whatever. Just the threat to do whatever my parents told me to do "Or else". Same with the Easter Bunny. Birthday presents. So on so forth.

I can't remember a time when I believed in him as a kid. Not sure if my brother ever did, either. Same goes with the other holiday characters. The most I ever believed in was my Grandmother's food.
Old 11-27-2012, 12:22 AM
treehugging clicker freak

My parents did the Santa thing, they never really threatened behavior with Santa, we we pretty good kids, the only thing I remember was going to bed on Christmas Eve otherwise he'd skip our house if we were awake lol

I stopped believing pretty young though (around 6) and we talked about it and she told me not to ruin it for my brother, so I played along and even helped them. I distracted him at the store when she bought presents from Santa, too I remember my friends being MUCH older than me and believing, but I never said anything to any of them because I didn't want them to lose the fun because it did take the fun out of it for me knowing like that

If I ever had kids, I'd probably do the same thing, pretty laid back. But I do want them to really know the religious importance of Christmas, I wish I would have.
I know a family that goes all out, making Santa footprints in the house, reindeer poop, the whole nine yards. I thought the Santa footprints were creepy personally (lol) but the children (they're adults now) were MAD as heck when they found out their parents not only lied but went to extreme lengths to decieve. It's interesting hearing everyones perspectives on it.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 11-27-2012, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
We do "Santa" with the boys. And no, we don't hold them to "you better be nice and not naughty" stuff. Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.
This drives me insane. Once my cousin's kid was 5 and up EVERY Christmas my cousin would threaten to take Christmas away. Starting in November. "Do you want to have a tree? Do you want to have presents? Because you're going to get it all taken away. Do you want to ruin Christmas for everyone?"

/facepalm. And no, she never actually took Christmas away and there's very valid reasons her kid is awful.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-27-2012, 08:27 AM
Chihuahua Power!

I was always told that there was a Santa, and I wouldn't have wanted it any other way!

When I was 6, I really wanted this toy called GoGo The Walking Pup for Christmas. I opened all of my toys and was disappointed that she wasn't under the tree. My dad was all like "wait- there's something in the fireplace!" Apparently "Santa" forgot to put her under the tree. It's one of my favorite Christmas memories

We always left cookies and milk for Santa, and carrots for the reindeer. My parents wrapped the "Santa" presents in different wrapping paper to make it more believable.

My parents never used Christmas or Santa as a threat against me. I knew about the "naughty and nice" list, but I figured you had to be REALLY naughty to not get gifts.

My parents told me that the Santas in the mall were "Santa's helpers." Santa is obviously very busy and can't leave the North Pole until Christmas Eve, so he sends his "helpers" to find out what the kids want. Haha.

I believed until I was 10. After that, I always helped my parents play "Santa" for my little sister.

I definitely want to do the whole Santa thing with our kids. I just think it's too much fun to not do it!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-27-2012, 08:45 AM
Top Dog

Do people really threaten to not have Christmas if their kids are bad or don't do certain stuff?

When I say I'm going to use the naughty/nice thing I mean I'm going to remind my kid "santa is watching" and good behavior gets rewarded and give them opportunities to have good behavior noticed - like a letter from "Santa" saying how it was nice that they've been sharing so well at school or something.

Not like "if you don't quit whining we're not getting a Christmas tree and SANTA ISN'T COMING TO OUR HOUSE THIS YEAR." People are INSANE.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-27-2012, 08:56 AM
Top Dog

I'm not a parent. If I was a parent I wouldn't tell my children Santa was anything other than a fictional character. I would feel I was being dishonest with my children otherwise.