Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 08:31 PM
We are Home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran27 View Post
I believed until 6 or so. Then some kids in the bathroom at school made fun of us (my sister and I) because we still believed... after that we acted like of course we never really believed. I don't really remember... but I do remember the bathroom accident.

I didn't want to do the Santa thing with my kids but with them going to school, it's just pretty hard. We definitely don't overdo it though... although I *might* have slipped a comment about how Santa only comes for kids who are good... ok... maybe a couple times... or 3 or 4. But Lisa just said 'we are good!', so I guess she just doesn't understand what 'being good' is LOL... and it's probably just going to bite me in the ass when they get presents even though they're being brats. So definitely not going to do this again lol.

But yeah, between seeing Santa at the mall, and the North Pole train ride we had last year with Santa... and Santa going to their school and bringing them stuff... it would just seem mean and totally killjoy to tell them he's not real. I guess they'll figure it out eventually.

And yeah, tough one explaining to them why we're going to bring toys for Toys for tots or why I sent a girl I 'adopted' some toys. It's seriously really hard to try not to ruin it. I'm probably overthinking it but at some point they'll realize that all the presents come with the same gift wrap right? And that it's Mommy's writing on them? And where do you hide them anyway? Right now it's in the office and there's a door knob cover on it but I'm guessing they'll figure out how to open that eventually...

Mine are in my closet with a eyelet latch thats almost at the top of the door They can get anything else open/

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-26-2012, 08:37 PM
Top Dog

My mom hid ours in the attic I think or on the high shelves in her closet and just put them in shopping bags we couldn't see through. I NEVER found my christmas gifts when I was a kid, but I also never looked for them.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2012, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

We do "Santa" with the boys. And no, we don't hold them to "you better be nice and not naughty" stuff. Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.

However, as a Christian househould, we also celebrate the birth of Jesus. Contrary to popular belief, most Christians know Jesus was not born on the night of December 24th/early morning on the 25th. But I explain to the boys that since we don't know exactly when Jesus was born, we just celebrate his birthday that day. So in addition to leaving cookies for Santa, we also bake a cake for Jesus' birthday.

Especially during this time of year, I try to stress the importance of kindness and love towards other people to the boys. I want them to know that not everyone has the material things we have, or the food or necessary items that we do, or even a family of their own to spend time with. So we put together food baskets and buy toys and household items (including medicines! you wouldn't believe how many go without basic Tylenol all because of the cost...), and then we donate them to the church or specific group of people collecting such items to distribute to families in need.

The "Christmas spirit", for my boys, is one in where they go out of there way to show love to others. Now, I urge this all year long, but let's face it - holidays are especially hard for many people.

I almost cried today when Cole hugged the lady bagging our groceries at the local Winn-Dixie and told her "thank you". He does these things so often, and he's such a selfless child, especially for a 6-yr-old. (This is a child that went up to an elderly WWII veteran in a wheelchair at Sam's Club and asked him if he could sit in his lap and ride. He didn't say one thing about the man missing his legs, but rather asked the man all kinds of questions about monster trucks and horses and just jabbered on. The wife was almost in tears because she said children always just stare at her husband and people hardly ever speak to them. Not Cole. He has no fear of people, and loves to say "hi" to everyone we meet.)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.
Who says they'll be empty?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-26-2012, 09:21 PM
Top Dog

My kids believed in Santa and I did too as a kid, wouldn't do it any other way. So many memories. When my son asked if Santa was real and I could tell by the way he asked it was time to fess up, the first thing he said was "does dad know?".
Old 11-26-2012, 09:22 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Who says they'll be empty?
LOL. Because you, the parent, are so darned excited about all the goodies you bought, and you honestly just can't wait to see their faces when they get to see it.

For example, I sold enough baby stuff to get the older two boys LeapPad 2's, and then I found a LeapPad 1 on Amazon for just $35, so he got one too. Then I found out you can share the apps between three different devices, so I got all excited that I only have to buy something once. And let me tell you - those things are COOL! I've been playing with one all night tonight.

(I wanted these because Cole will be starting therapy in the spring, as well as begin seeing some new doctors, and waiting isn't Cole's best trait. These will be awesome to help him pass the time without wandering all over a waiting room. And if I buy one for one boy, I must buy one for all. That's a rule most parents know pretty well. LOL)
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
We do "Santa" with the boys. And no, we don't hold them to "you better be nice and not naughty" stuff. Empty threats get YOU, the parent, into trouble...not your child.

However, as a Christian househould, we also celebrate the birth of Jesus. Contrary to popular belief, most Christians know Jesus was not born on the night of December 24th/early morning on the 25th. But I explain to the boys that since we don't know exactly when Jesus was born, we just celebrate his birthday that day. So in addition to leaving cookies for Santa, we also bake a cake for Jesus' birthday.

Especially during this time of year, I try to stress the importance of kindness and love towards other people to the boys. I want them to know that not everyone has the material things we have, or the food or necessary items that we do, or even a family of their own to spend time with. So we put together food baskets and buy toys and household items (including medicines! you wouldn't believe how many go without basic Tylenol all because of the cost...), and then we donate them to the church or specific group of people collecting such items to distribute to families in need.

The "Christmas spirit", for my boys, is one in where they go out of there way to show love to others. Now, I urge this all year long, but let's face it - holidays are especially hard for many people.

I almost cried today when Cole hugged the lady bagging our groceries at the local Winn-Dixie and told her "thank you". He does these things so often, and he's such a selfless child, especially for a 6-yr-old. (This is a child that went up to an elderly WWII veteran in a wheelchair at Sam's Club and asked him if he could sit in his lap and ride. He didn't say one thing about the man missing his legs, but rather asked the man all kinds of questions about monster trucks and horses and just jabbered on. The wife was almost in tears because she said children always just stare at her husband and people hardly ever speak to them. Not Cole. He has no fear of people, and loves to say "hi" to everyone we meet.)
Yep this.

Just because we do the Santa thing doesn't mean Hannah doesn't know that gifts and things aren't also given by us. She helped me pack up bags full of food to donate to the mission and bags full of toys for a local organization

Practicing lOve and givIng and selflessness is top priority(wrll after celebrating Jesus' birth) but Santa is a super fun little extra that brings us all so much joy. And like Linda posted... It is amazing how kids will sometimes focus on keeping it alive for their parents even when the truth comes out for them. Kids are truly amazing beings

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Just curious - what do you mean by so there is no conflict about God? Do you mean you don't want them to see that adults talk about things they can't see such as Santa, find out it's not "real", and believe God is in the same category as Santa?
close. we don't wat them to learn that mom & dad LIED about santa & decide that maybe they lied about god too.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

I definitely do Santa, just relate it more to Yule when possible. He is, for us, the energy of the season manifest in a character. So, yes, we give presents from "santa" but as the kids grow older they will understand we do that to honor the giving energy. I like it, to me it makes it bigger than just a present exchange. And we do also give presents from "mom and dad" as well.

We do tooth fairy and Ostara bunny as well.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:25 PM
Big Dog

I believed in Santa when young and so did my son. He's now 20 and I still say to him to this day "If you don't believe, you don't receive" I never played the naughty or nice thing with him.... His gifts from Santa always came wrapped in a different wrapping paper....

http://www.tulipscloset.net/