Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 05:13 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default The Santa Topic... *possible spoilers*

*Santa Spoiler Warning for parents with kids reading over their shoulder....

I was always told by my mom that there was a Santa, and I totally believed her up until middle school. She even wrote "From Santa" on Christmas gifts into my early 20s. I was an imaginative kid, so I got very into the Santa thing and my mom made it fun. I was to ask Santa for gifts, but was never coerced into good behavior under the threat of no Christmas presents. Even when I realized the truth, I still loved the story and the spirit in which it was told.

DH on the other hand, had a very different experience. His parents told him from the start that Santa was a lie that parents told their kids to get them to behave, and I remember thinking that was such a sad way to look at it.

So, what were you told about Santa? What do you tell your kids?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:18 PM
We are Home.

My mom used it against us.

We don't use it against our kids. We try to make it fun and the holidays a fun time! This year we are limiting the family time for the kids and Bev has asked to go hang out with her friends and share her Christmas chocolates. <3

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-26-2012, 05:21 PM
Sport Model Pug

I was free to believe in santa until I went up to my parents and said he's not real. Although they and my aunt still sign things from santa (well my aunt signs it "auntie santa" lol)

One year my step dad even collected deer poo from the coulees and sprinkled it on the lawn so i thought reindeer were there.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-26-2012, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Believing in Santa was one of the best parts of Christmas for me. I used to watch this thing on my aunt's computer that even tracked where he was LOL. I loved it! My mom just told me two nights ago that my dad didn't grow up with Santa during his childhood Christmases and had a hard time when my mom wanted us to believe he was real. I'm glad he played along and let us believe. I can't remember how old I was when I realized he wasn't real. But it was fun while it lasted, and I played it up for a couple more years for my younger (by two years) brother. My mom still writes "From Santa" on some of our gifts just for fun. :-)

If I ever have kids I will tell them about Santa as well. For me it's part of the fun of being a kid and I wouldn't want them to miss out. Even when I was a kid I always felt bad for the one kid in class at school who didn't believe when everyone around them did.

ETA: They let us figure out whether he was actually real or not for ourselves. They never said that he definitely was and that we had to believe. But we also never really questioned it until we got a bit older, and then when we asked them, they'd tell us stories about Santa and basically told us to believe what we felt was right without giving anything away as to whether he actually was or not.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN

Last edited by Toller_08; 11-26-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:27 PM
Resident fainting goat

We didn't believe in santa around here. My parents WANTED us to believe but being kids who spend christmas often in Haiti, surrounded by poverty and poor children... it became impossible to explain "Why doesn't santa give toys to those kids? were they bad?" so for me my parents told us from the start that santa was a lovely story about a man who made toys to give to kids.. and to remember him, we give toys to little boys and girls and each other. Simple as that. I love that they never LIED to us.

My kids? I like to encourage wonder and imagination..I would hope to teach my kids HOW to think not WHAT to think. and part of that is not lying but also encouraging them to think for themselves and encourage whatever they want to believe. "What do you think santa is? What do you believe? Why?" Instead of "Santa is ____ because __ so there."
Eventually, they of course will naturally figure it out but if my kid wanted to believe in santa for as long as he/she wanted..that's fine with me

My parents let me believe in whatever I wanted really. I read lots of fantasy/magical books and they let me believe in hogwarts and magic and fairies and unicorns for as long as I wanted. They never said it wasn't real they just said things like "Well, maybe! Just because we can't see it doesn't mean it doesn't true" and lots of "That's a great idea!..what do you think magic is? where do you think fairies would live?" etc...
and I loved them for it lol I had such a magical childhood and I really loved that they encouraged me to imagine a world full of magic all the time and never threw my ideas away or told me to grow up and stop playing make-believe.

BUT.. big but here. They never lied. I loved stories as much as the next kid but when I asked what makes the trees change colors they didn't tell me magicr and when I did say things like "Oh the trees change colors because of magic" they explained that it was a special magic called science and that leaves had chlorophyll inside that changed with the seasons etc..etc..

I grew up with a hunger for stories and magic and learning and science and holidays and fun..and I think a huge part of that was just my parents letting me believe and encouraging me to think for myself.

As for santa, sadly it got stopped short BECAUSE the story had so much to do with all kids getting toys (and I saw evidence of that not being true) but for my kids.. I hope it's something I can share with them and encourage them to figure out for themselves. It's a lovely part of christmas IMO. I just won't ever lie to them about it, you are never going to hear "yes, santa is real" from me.

None the less. I loved santa while it lasted lol and loved the extra gift!
And regardless, I always left carrots for the reindeer.. just in case.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:28 PM
Top Dog

We are not "doing" Santa. We plan to explain that he is a fictional character, but one that, for many, is a symbol of the Christmas season. We will still read the stories, watch the movies, etc. But with the knowledge that it is fiction.
But,hey, fiction can be fun
Old 11-26-2012, 05:30 PM
APBT crazy!

My brother and I found out when we found presents in my parents room that were ours. Yes we were snoopy that Christmas to see if he was real or not. I don't have kids, but if I ever do have kids.. I'd let them enjoy it for awhile and figure out for themselves.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I was told the normal stuff I guess... Santa brings you gifts if you're good, etc. My uncle owns a clown business and has the contracts for Santas in the mall, so the Santa I went to see always knew my name, etc.

That said, as I've grown up, I've realised Santa isn't a person, but is a spirit that anybody can have inside them.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-26-2012, 05:37 PM
Wookie Collie

I believed in Santa growing up. I believed that mall Santas and other folks dressed as Santa worked for the true Santa up North, and true Santa was never really seen. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-26-2012, 05:45 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

As a kid I always believed in Santa. I remember when I found out he wasn't real. I was in the fourth grade and I came out in the middle of the night to "go pee" and saw my mom setting up presents. I just pretended like I didn't see anything, went to the bathroom and went back to bed and never said a word. I figured it was important to my parents to keep the Santa thing going... so I did. Looking back now I think that was pretty cool that at a time like that I was thinking about THEIR belief in Santa and not want to ruin it for them. I wasn't heart broken or hurt or anything. it just was what it was.

BUT... Santa is real. He may not be a big fat jolly guy living at the north pole making toys but when you see a childs face light up when they see Santa... That is REAL. When I tear up watching "The Santa Clause" THAT IS REAL. When Hannah and I make cookies on Christmas eve to leave out for Santa... that is REAL. The spirit of Santa is VERY REAL.

I loved it this year when we were donating a bunch of toys to a local organization to distribute to kids and hannah was kind of bummed that there were some toys in there she liked and I just said "Well think of it this way. Christmas morning those kids are going to wake up and come downstairs and see presents just for them and be like WOW Santa brought us awesome toys... except in this case Santa... is YOU." Her little face lit up and she couldn't wait to take the toys over, she was only bummed that she didn't get to hand them out and see the kids herself. THAT IS REAL!!!!!! The spirit of Santa is real.

I will encourage her belief as long as it lasts and when time comes and she doesn't believe anymore... if she asks me about it... I will tell her exactly what I said above. Santa is real because children believe and that's a beautiful thing.

My dad still signs my gifts "love Santa" LOL I love it. I will do the same for Hannah no matter how old she is.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney