Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 08:30 PM
Love My Mutt <3

MY BIRTHDAY

and Christmas, I guess

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-26-2012, 08:48 PM
SBT Lover!!

I'm an Atheist who celebrates Christmas! My mom is Finnish Lutheran and my dad is Protestant, though not practicing. I also celebrate "Pikkujoulu" (Little Christmas), which is the day we get our tree, decorate our home and exchange one small gift.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:51 PM
Allons-y!

Christmas, minus the religion.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:43 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Christmas, without religion. It's just so much fun and cheery. I love Christmas music, giving gifts, getting together and having fun and socializing and eating good food with family! Everything about it makes me happy
This!

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 11-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Behavior Nerd

I celebrate non-religious Christmas, for DH it's Festivus thanks to his family's weird hangups about gift giving....

Old 11-27-2012, 09:09 AM
<--------Orson

Christmas---religious, as well as Santa, Rudolph, decorated tree and everything else that goes with it!

I grew up that way, but DH's family didn't do much tree decorating or any of the 'fun' traditions. I should say his PARENTS were the fun suckers.......his aunts, uncles, and grandparents celebrated the same as we do now.

Also, I learned something new in this thread! Not much of a Reader's Digest reader, so I'm not familiar with the inventor of Festivus Dan O'keefe........I was never a seinfeld fan, so I have never heard of Festivus that way either! LOL I had to Wikipedia the word, hehe. I'm sure I've heard the word, but never knew it was celebrated as an actual holiday!

Anyone actually do the unadorned aluminum pole and other "traditions" that go with Festivus?

Learning new stuff is fun
Old 11-27-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

I celebrate Christmas as a mostly non-religious holiday.
Old 11-27-2012, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

I am trying to word this so it doesnt sound judgemental or rude as I truly do not mean it that way.

For those who celebrate a totally secular Christmas, is there a reason you still call it Christmas? I do at times, mainly because its family tradition but I am trying to pull away from it as I almost feel its rude to call it the same. The tree, the lights, the presents, etc all have mulitple sources and are not really related to the religious aspects (but can be).
Old 11-27-2012, 09:18 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I am trying to word this so it doesnt sound judgemental or rude as I truly do not mean it that way.

For those who celebrate a totally secular Christmas, is there a reason you still call it Christmas? I do at times, mainly because its family tradition but I am trying to pull away from it as I almost feel its rude to call it the same. The tree, the lights, the presents, etc all have mulitple sources and are not really related to the religious aspects (but can be).
I tend to call it Pugmas. As most of the presents I buy are for my dog hahaha.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-27-2012, 11:05 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post

Mostly because Christmas is a mishmash of Roman, pagan and other celebrations and traditions (winter solstice and all). Christmas as it is in this country has little mention of religion at all in all it's commercial wonder (the trees, presents, carols, cookies, santa, sales, etc...etc..) The tree, if anything, is a pagan tradition, and the rest of them are recent American traditions
Like it or not from where I'm standing.. Christmas is basically a secular holiday these days.
I mean, it walks like a secular holiday, it sounds like a duck, it looks like a duck.. it's a duck lol

same goes for valentines day. I mean, I love the story of saint valentine as much as the next girl but come on now..calling it anything but a secular holiday would be quite odd.

As much as I would like to so call it something else, just in the name of word association... as it is, the term is what it is and is already heavily featured everywhere in carols, songs, and other secular things so frankly, I don't mind it.

Plainly..the word muffin top having the word muffin in it does not make it a snack food. That's not it's definition and that's not what I think of when I hear the term.
So for me, same policy goes for christmas.