Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-26-2012, 05:38 PM
Sport Model Pug

Default What do YOU celebrate this time of year?

With all the holiday controversy going on, lets hear it. What holiday/tradition/religious thing do you celebrate? Can be legit or made up, whatever you want.

This year I'm planning on celebrating Festivus (for the rest of us). But typically i celebrate modern commercialized christmas and will probably do an exchange of some sort.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-26-2012, 05:39 PM
Top Dog

Christmas.

My family is all non-practicing, non-religious Catholics, lol.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

I do a secular Christmas because my family does but for my own personal family, we celebrate Yule....which also happens to by my daughters birthday so it gets trickly. Basically, instead of focusing on a day, we focus on the energies or spirit of this time of year, the introspection and preparing for the next year, the cleansing of things we nee to let go of, etc.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

Christmas!!!!

Don't have a religious bone in my body but it has an interesting background!!! Winter!!! Food!!! Presents!!! Decorations!!! Yes please!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Resident fainting goat

Christmas (without the religion) lol we get the tree, presents, christmas music, santa, cookies etc..
It's all very fun!

As for traditions we have to make/create/plan an activity as gifts for family. No buying things at big stores...which I love.

Oh and lots of champagne

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
Christmas!!!!

Don't have a religious bone in my body but it has an interesting background!!! Winter!!! Food!!! Presents!!! Decorations!!! Yes please!!!
haha, its background is interesting and those parts of it yes, have nothing to do with the religion that celebrates it
Old 11-26-2012, 05:44 PM
PSD Partner

Christmas non religious since I am Atheist. We are doing a gift exchange with family. We start decorating on December 1st.
Old 11-26-2012, 05:48 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Christmas... both the religious kind and the non religious kind

We go to Christmas eve service (I will be singing "What child is this" this year at our service) and we thank God for everything and for Jesus' sacrifice and we observe the day as Jesus' birth.

We also do the whole Santa thing with cookies and milk and oats/apples/carrots for his reindeer sprinkled on the lawn, Christmas lights, Christmas tree, writing a letter to Santa, the presents, the christmas movies, the night before Christmas story, ETC ETC ETC.

It's fun... especially with a child Hannahs age. it's the BEST to see her face when she sees Santa at the mall or all the presents on Christmas morning, etc. These times are short and very limited and I'm going to enjoy ever second of it. We have been watching www.reindeercam.com where Santa comes and feeds two of his reindeer three times a day and it's so magical. We set up our tree last week and we've been listening to non stop Christmas music for two weeks already lol.

I can't WAIT to get to Disney and pair my two favorite earthly things... Christmas and Disney. it doesn't get anymore magical than Christmas at Disney (except not on THE day because that's just insane)

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Obey the Toad.

Christmas. I suppose we celebrate it as a religious holiday. It is believed that Christ was actually born in the spring/early summer (I've heard both), so Christmas is more the symbolic celebration of His birthday than literal (probably originally put this time of year to coincide with Yule and/or winter solstice). It is an "official" religious holiday for certain denominations, an unofficial one for others (the ones that don't keep religious holiday calendars) and some sects of Christianity (Jehovah's Witness and some Quakers) don't celebrate it at all.

I not sure that we celebrate separate religious and secular Christmases-it's just kind of rolled into one for us. The inlaws even observe the Epiphany, which I had never heard of until I met DH-lol.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:58 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

We celebrate Christmas as a family Holiday...a time to get together with family and friends.

Personally I celebrate Yule as a spiritual Holiday at this time of year.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/