Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-25-2012, 02:49 PM
Felurian

Sales taxes vary between 9 - 10% in most counties/cities. Property taxes vary greatly. Sevier County is ridiculously low.

There is no state income tax.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-25-2012, 02:52 PM
Top Dog

Virginia is one of the lower tax states, as best as I can tell. At least, people moving to the DC metro area often cite that as why they choose to live in Virginia over Maryland or DC proper. (Joke's on them though, traffic is horrible and they should just live where their job is!)

Sales tax is 5%. (Food is taxed at only 2.5%). Counties can add another percent, I believe.

Property tax is really low in my county--only 1.07%, but our property values are high, so for a normal sized 4 bedroom house I pay around $8k/year in property tax. The rate is by county, so it varies slightly across the state.

State income tax is 5.75% of anything over $17k (+ $720 due to the progressive tax structure).

Virginia also has "personal property" tax. We pay a yearly tax on boats, cars, RVs, etc. The rate is 4.57% of the assessed value each year. The (state? county?) subsidizes 85% of taxes on the first $15k of assessed value though, so if you drive an older car it shouldn't be over $400/year. My 13 year old car costs me about $100/year. A luxury car could run you over $1000/year though.
Old 11-25-2012, 03:31 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Well I wasn't trying to be all "neener, neener." Just saying that I feel that I actually get tangible value from my taxes, things that are important to me to my quality of life, so I don't mind paying them. *shrug*
Oh no Sass! My disclaimer post had absolutely nothing to do with your post *scouts honor*

It's just that after I posted this thread, I clicked over to my facebook and there were a couple of my cousins along with a few friends engaged in a political debate. (so sick of it all....seriously tempted to remove quite a few from my news feed!) States were mentioned and I thought "Oh dang......I hope my thread isn't taken as more political fodder" So I flipped back over and added the disclaimer, LOL
Old 11-25-2012, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Virginia also has "personal property" tax. We pay a yearly tax on boats, cars, RVs, etc. The rate is 4.57% of the assessed value each year. The (state? county?) subsidizes 85% of taxes on the first $15k of assessed value though, so if you drive an older car it shouldn't be over $400/year. My 13 year old car costs me about $100/year. A luxury car could run you over $1000/year though.
I think this is on trailers to. Heard its bad for horse trailers and they have yearly inspection? We have three trailers, the boat and the four wheelers plus the cars. No way. Lol. We have echeck but its free now.

I know some states like Kentucky always have the car tax kinda like yours I guess (not sure it's based on worth, though it was straight?) even after its paid off.

I think I like Ohio just fine lol!

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 11-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by joce View Post
I think this is on trailers to. Heard its bad for horse trailers and they have yearly inspection? We have three trailers, the boat and the four wheelers plus the cars. No way. Lol. We have echeck but its free now.

I know some states like Kentucky always have the car tax kinda like yours I guess (not sure it's based on worth, though it was straight?) even after its paid off.

I think I like Ohio just fine lol!
Yeah, the tax has nothing to do with whether it's paid off or not. I paid cash for my car, and I've still paid taxes on it every year (just slightly less each year as the value has declined). And yes, it counts for trailers too.

And yes, state inspection every year, but not on boats and trailers and such, just vehicles. It's painless though--15 minutes at almost any gas station, and I think it's only $12 or something trivial. Emissions has to be done every 2 years before you can re-register the car at the DMV. That's $25, I think, and again 15 minutes at the gas station.

Annoying? Sure. But it's trivial.
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM
Felurian

No inspections here. Most counties have a "wheel tax" though, which is just a surcharge on top of the tags. Where I am, it makes tags about $50, if I remember right.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Top Dog

We do have yearly car inspections here in NY. They don't cost much, I think like $20 or something. I'm not really sure because I normally do it with my oil change and I've only had it done twice. I think it's ridiculous, especially after talking to my co-workers. One girl, college age, was talking about how a guy she met at school basically paid the mechanic off back where he was from to pass his car even though it was falling apart.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2012, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

I think CT is an expensive state to live in We have state tax, 6.5%, town taxes, property taxes of which 75% go to the school system , car tax, boat tax, (all personal property tax)..You name we get taxed on it..We have alot of politicians who sit back and just love to spend our money on stupid stuff. Everything goes up except paychecks
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM
Top Dog

Massachusetts isn't called taxachusetts for nothing. Our sales tax is 6.25. no tax on food or clothes though. I live right near the New Hampshire border so I do most of my shopping there, no sales tax there. Yearly car inspections cost $29.00. Yearly Excise taxes on cars is $25 per thousand dollar value. Property taxes vary by town, but mine are lower than surrounding towns and I pay Residential $13.92 | Commercial $31.93 per thousand. I pay about $6,000 a year.
Income tax 5.3%. Gas tax is 23.5 cents a gallon.
Meals tax 6.25%
If and when Massachusetts finds a way to tax the air, they will.
Old 11-25-2012, 07:24 PM
Taxiderpy

Sales tax is 8-9%. No income tax. Property tax varies widely, a lot of it is determined locally because it's used to fund schools.