Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-25-2012, 09:39 AM
<--------Orson

Default Tell me about the taxes in your state....

Do you have property tax? Income tax? How's the sales tax? Anything else you'd like to share about your state?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:49 AM
such sights to show you

Well I pay a fair amount of taxes. Property, income, sales tax - we have it all. BUT, I get a fair amount of services out of it. I don't mind paying taxes when I get services in return. My city in particular I adore.

I've driven cross-country in various directions, driven through and stayed in some cities that are real shi*tholes... bare minimum and poorly-maintained infrastructure, no or crappy public green space/parks system, etc and I tell you what... I'll keep my taxes. In fact, you couldn't pry me out of this city with a crowbar.

Old 11-25-2012, 10:14 AM
<--------Orson

I think I should have put a disclaimer on this thread!

*This thread is not political. It's not to 'neener neener, my state is better'. It is 1 part curiosity, and 2 parts comparitive for possible relocation choices.*
Old 11-25-2012, 10:25 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Don't move to Illinois. Our taxes are ridiculous and yet our state is still broke.
I take that back. Don't move to Illinois if you intend to live anywhere south of the "Chicago area," because to the politicians, Chicago is the only part of Illinois that matters. Everywhere else? MEH. WE BROKE SORRY.

Chicago is kinda lovely though. I wouldn't have minded moving to a Chicago suburb, truly and honestly. Except the whole lots of lake effect snow thing... that's kind of a bummer.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-25-2012, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

I live in Arkansas. My sales tax is around 9%. As I don't have property or a house, I'm not sure about the other taxes. Missouri's is around 6.5%. Quite a few people just go across the state line to grocery shop or get tobacco products.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:36 AM
such sights to show you

Well I wasn't trying to be all "neener, neener." Just saying that I feel that I actually get tangible value from my taxes, things that are important to me to my quality of life, so I don't mind paying them. *shrug*

Old 11-25-2012, 11:20 AM
Top Dog

New Hampshire has no income or sales tax but super high property taxes. You could lose your home, if you lose your job. The state really needs to replace the property tax with an income tax.
Old 11-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

People here always say the taxes are the highest in the country, but I'm not sure that's true.

8.875% sales tax
Property tax varies A LOT, by both county, and type of property, family size, if you rent out, etc. I know some areas people say they pay really low property tax, and some areas pay very high taxes, I have no idea if that's in comparison to other NY areas or the country in general. Areas with higher taxes get things like Christmas lights hanging from their street lights and parades and really fancy school plays. Lower tax areas still have good schools, public services, etc. No one here gets good highway (or back road) maintenance, but that's more of a reflection on the horrendous superintendent of the highway dept. than taxes.

It really, really, REALLY depends on the specific area in NY you're looking in. Overall, I like the state, even if it's very expensive, we get a ton of benefits. My only complaints are that MORE of our tax dollars don't go to schools.

Also, I think this is the whole country, but not sure, for certain weeks in spring and fall there is no sales tax on clothing and footwear.

There is also an additional tax in NYC on top of the state taxes, but for all the free stuff we get I definitely think it's worth it.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-25-2012, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
People here always say the taxes are the highest in the country, but I'm not sure that's true.

8.875% sales tax
Property tax varies A LOT, by both county, and type of property, family size, if you rent out, etc. I know some areas people say they pay really low property tax, and some areas pay very high taxes, I have no idea if that's in comparison to other NY areas or the country in general. Areas with higher taxes get things like Christmas lights hanging from their street lights and parades and really fancy school plays. Lower tax areas still have good schools, public services, etc. No one here gets good highway (or back road) maintenance, but that's more of a reflection on the horrendous superintendent of the highway dept. than taxes.

It really, really, REALLY depends on the specific area in NY you're looking in. Overall, I like the state, even if it's very expensive, we get a ton of benefits. My only complaints are that MORE of our tax dollars don't go to schools.

Also, I think this is the whole country, but not sure, for certain weeks in spring and fall there is no sales tax on clothing and footwear.

There is also an additional tax in NYC on top of the state taxes, but for all the free stuff we get I definitely think it's worth it.
Just to add on to this.

We don't pay a property tax where I am, but we pay a pretty high school tax, which I'm OK with. Some of the places we were looking at when we bought our house paid over $10 grand a year in school tax, no thanks, but when we looked at houses in other school districts it isn't that bad.

Over all I like where we are for now. Not someplace we want to stay permanently, but nice for now.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Our sales tax is 6.25 %. I had to look that up Higher side in lorain county.

I have no idea on income tax, know we have it. I let my mom do my taxes and I know I don't get crap back and they take a ton out,or I feel that anyway. It makes me sick to look at my check honestly. More I make,more they take.

Here if you have over ten acres and you can say you use your property for farming you can claim CAUV status and pay next to noting on property tax. Last place we looked at was beautiful but only eight acres and 3,300 a year in taxes. Place before was 27 acres and 1,200 a year. My friend that does it just sells chicken eggs and breeds german shepherds(I know ). We would have our hay guy plant most of it so it really would be farmed. There are some areas were taxes are not bad out here even if you don't do cauv. I am just very picky about where we live.

I know PA has some clean and green thing which sounds great. You get to keep your money for keeping the trees basically if I understand it right.

You know its awesome here! Lake is fun, we could go boating! Play with the dogs on the beach

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber