Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-24-2012, 08:28 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Default What do I do?

Chloe just attacked my brother.

Mom said everyone was sitting in the living room watching a movie and he was petting her. She just up and tried to maul his arm. Had he not been wearing layers of clothes he would have been seriously injured. As it was, he was able to pin her down until she calmed down and got away with only a few bruises.

I wasn't there so I don't know what happened exactly, but mom said she had never seen her like this before. She normally nips or snaps, but mom said this was a full out attack.

I can't have my family care for a dog that tries to attack then when they're just sitting there. I can't risk that happening to someone else. She does it without warning, for no reason. She will illicit attention and then turn and bite you when you pet her. This has been getting worse and I always said if she started biting and not just nipping I would have to do something. That just happened. Now my heart's dropped out of my chest and I don't know what to do.

Do I try to have her at my apartment? She'll stress out. She'll bark. She'll attack the three munchkins if they walk by her when she's in the wrong mood. She'll be an anxious mess. I'll have to constantly worry about how she and Mike interact. Prozac didn't help. Behavior modification has only got us so far, and I can't modify her just spontaneously aggressing because there is no trigger.

Or do I say this is it, throw in the towel, and let her go?

I don't know what to do.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:34 PM
We are Home.

Honestly with it not being my dog I usually wouldn't suggest this but I might consider if shes safe to have around period and if I can't answer that question myself confidently I would euthanize.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 11-24-2012, 08:35 PM
swimming upstream

I don't think there is any one single answer here. Is she medically/physically ok? Has anything changed?
I'm sorry--this is such a tough thing to deal with. Do you have a muzzle for her?
Old 11-24-2012, 08:43 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

If I were you, I think what I would do is bring her to my place and HEAVILY manage her. Set up a crate (if you don't have room, MAKE ROOM. I live in an apt too and believe me, I get it, but you'll get creative if you need to), get a bark collar. I realize that may not help the anxiety but it will keep her from getting kicked out.

Try different medication. Prozac's not the only thing out there. Don't have Mike handle her unless he has to for potty breaks, and then it should be just slip a kennel lead on, potty, good girl, back in crate. Meanwhile, you observe her super carefully and try to figure out what's going on and if there's anything you can do.

In that scenario, she's spending a lot of time in a crate, I know. But in the alternative, she's dead. I can't say I would live permanently the way I described but I would do temporarily if I meant I might be able to keep my dog alive.

All that said, this decision is totally yours. If you feel that level of management to be impractical, impossible, or inhumane, then euthanasia is probably the best option - and that's said without a lick of judgement, I hope you know that.

And, lastly, I'm so very sorry, Andrea. I'm really sorry you're facing this decision, I really am.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

Letting her go is NOT throwing in the towel. (((hugs)))

I know what I would do, but it's not usually the popular answer. I wish you the best in making this decision. No way will be easy.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Top Dog

I'd go back to the vet for a full medical work up and question about other drugs. Then I'd place her in my care, because it's not fair to put that on anyone else.
Old 11-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
If I were you, I think what I would do is bring her to my place and HEAVILY manage her. Set up a crate (if you don't have room, MAKE ROOM. I live in an apt too and believe me, I get it, but you'll get creative if you need to), get a bark collar. I realize that may not help the anxiety but it will keep her from getting kicked out.

Try different medication. Prozac's not the only thing out there. Don't have Mike handle her unless he has to for potty breaks, and then it should be just slip a kennel lead on, potty, good girl, back in crate. Meanwhile, you observe her super carefully and try to figure out what's going on and if there's anything you can do.

In that scenario, she's spending a lot of time in a crate, I know. But in the alternative, she's dead. I can't say I would live permanently the way I described but I would do temporarily if I meant I might be able to keep my dog alive.

All that said, this decision is totally yours. If you feel that level of management to be impractical, impossible, or inhumane, then euthanasia is probably the best option - and that's said without a lick of judgement, I hope you know that.

And, lastly, I'm so very sorry, Andrea. I'm really sorry you're facing this decision, I really am.

^This. Or, managed at your mom's house, more than she is now. If she normally nips or snaps, then she needs to be in a situation where people are watching for the warning signs before she feels the need to do so. Many people can't read dog signs, perhaps she'd had enough of being petted, or he hit the wrong spot, or.... but regardless she either gave a signal that was ignored, so she attacked, or she doesn't give warnings, which is much worse.

If you take her to your place, a barking collar MAY help her settle down. I've seen it with dogs that have come to the kennel I work at for training etc. that are major barkers and stressed. With the owner's permission (in some cases, it's train the dog or put it down type cases), the bark collar breaks the 'hey, I'm barking and getting worked up here' type dogs, they figure out 'oh, can't bark' and go find something else to do and relax, instead of standing at the gate barking like crazy. Just a thought, don't bash the collars, you have to do what you have to do.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

I thought you determined she has pain... in a leg? Were you able to get to the bottom of that?
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 11-24-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorry .

I agree with Emily...have you tried her at your apartment yet? I think you have nothing to lose if you give it a go. Maybe she won't be as bad as you think. The spray bark collars work pretty well.

It's so hard to diagnose without seeing the behavior first hand. This usually happens because of petting right? Is she giving any calming signals when someone pets her..lip licking, yawning, etc? Vision issues? Pain?

Old 11-24-2012, 09:03 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I know this isn't an easy situation. This has been an ongoing battle with Bamm as well. For the most part he seems to be doing better, but then he has his moments where it's like a flip of the switch and I honestly don't trust him in a lot of situations. I have to completely micro manage him to keep him and other people safe. Most of the time he is totally fine... but it just takes one quick second for someone to end up injured. I'm not going to tell you what to do since obviously what you choose to do is going to be your decision to make. I agree with the suggestion to try her at your apartment. Muzzle her if you leave the apartment with her for any reason whatsoever. Try a different kind of medication if you are willing. If you make the decision to euthanize I doubt anyone here will give you flack for it. Whatever decision you make I know I will definitely back you up and support you in that decision. Feel free to PM if you want to talk. I know all too well what it's like since I deal with similar stuff with Bamm.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle