Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post

I don't like a lot of the non-fiction casual dog owner books. Marley & Me was alright. Rescuing Sprite and Oogy were both...meh. Cute but a lot about their families and kids and stuff. I read Best Friends, that was fine.
You should try Merle's Door, I'd be really curious to see what you think! I guarantee that with your interest in training there are some parts that will make you shake your head, and some parts you will thoughtfully consider but respectfully disagree- but I'd be surprised if you didn't really enjoy it!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
You should try Merle's Door, I'd be really curious to see what you think! I guarantee that with your interest in training there are some parts that will make you shake your head, and some parts you will thoughtfully consider but respectfully disagree- but I'd be surprised if you didn't really enjoy it!
Merle’s Door - totally agree. Very thought-provoking read and just a great story.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-24-2012, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I swear I've picked that book up 10 times and chosen something else . I will look for it next time I'm at the store.

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 PM
Big Dog

Has anyone read Edgar Sawtelle? by David Wroblewski. I thought it was a good read.

http://www.tulipscloset.net/
Old 11-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Oh yes I read Edgar Sawtelle. Fantastic book.

Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 PM
Active Pup

Default Hrm..is it bad form?

Is it bad form to tell you about my own book? It's called "Circling the Waggins: How 5 Misfit Dogs Saved Me from Bewilderness" and it was released just this last July by Barking Planet Productions. http://www.amazon.com/Circling-Waggi...ng+the+waggins
Old 11-26-2012, 08:02 PM
Active Pup

Default my favorite dog books

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
I really liked "The Art of Racing in the Rain" can't remember off hand who it's by but I quite enjoyed it.
'The Art of Racing in the Rain' by Garth Stein is my favorite dog book, ever. I also love the Chet and Bernie mystery series by Spencer Quinn, and I thought "Lost Dogs" by Jim Gorant was brilliant.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

Fiction: The Call of the Wild, The Journey of Natty Gan, Never Cry Wolf, Julie of the Wolves... erm yeah see why I own what I own here? LOL.
Loved Where the Red Fern Grows too. I was obsessed with that movie as a kid, but never read the book until college.

I read Inside of a Dog by Alexdandra Horowitz and I'm sorry to those who liked it, but I very strongly disliked it. To each their own!

Other end of the leash, Control Unleashed, and Shaping Success are probably my fav "training"/relationship with dogs books.
Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Allons-y!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danefied View Post
Merle’s Door - totally agree. Very thought-provoking read and just a great story.
Definitely. It was one of the first real "dog books" I read, I enjoyed it a lot. I like the mixture of science/domestication history and story.

Emily &:
CH Aurai Defying Gravity CL1-R - "Newton"
MBIF CH Tova's Don't Stop Believin' of Aurai CL1-S CGC - "Journey"
BIF/BISS CH Tova's Cricket Song of Ardmoor Farms CL2 CGC - "Cricket"
Visit us on Facebook!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:25 PM
Resident fainting goat

- Don't shoot the dog.
Just kind of changed my approach to people..behavior..training.. life lol

- A dog's purpose by W. Bruce Cameron
Cried.
Cried harder.
Clutched the book to my chest and cried some more

- The art of racing in the rain
repeat same emotional process as above.

- Marley & Me.
Same as above..perhaps more crying. and more laughing to! I loved that it was more well rounded and not JUST about the dog.

Oh and of course

I'm finishing control unleashed now and while some of the things were quite interesting! I can't help but think A. Why the heck was the darn thing $30 and B. It's a bit too performance based for my taste. It's well written and personable but there isn't a single page that doesn't scream AGILITY