Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 12-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Corgi bum

Default Best & healthiest Dog Food

I'd like to get some opinions on what the best & healthiest brand of dog food is? I have my dogs on a brand called "Exclusive", I buy it at a local feed store. It is made with fresh Chicken and rice. They seem to do very well on it. They're both really healthy, and have "good poop"...never runny or yucky.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:57 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of Exclusive. I know that Wellness is a high quality food but I recently found out that it certainly isn't the best when it comes to dry food. I like to feed my dogs cooked diets whenever I get a chance. Its alot more work since you're making the food for them and you have to prepare everything, but I just couldn't imagine my dogs eating dry kibble for their entire lives. Its not fair and no matter how good a dog food is, its still DOG FOOD.

I was feeding my pooches Wellness but I just recently switched over to the Timberwolf Organics brand. I find it to be excellent. Its really high in protein (well, they do have a "lite" version if you will), so its great for dogs that are really active or if you have an underweight pooch.

I feed my dogs the Black Forest formula. Its lower in protein and great for dogs that aren't that active.

Have a look at their site:
http://www.timberwolforganics.com/
Old 12-02-2004, 06:53 PM
Corgi bum

I'll check that site out. What kind of cooked food do you do? When Chloe was pregnant, I baked chicken for her, she also had scrambled eggs & cottage cheese.

It really doesn't seem fair to feed them kibble only.

Thanks,
Dena
Old 12-03-2004, 10:38 AM
Felurian

I've had my tribe on Innova - Shiva and Kharma have been on it since they first came home. Recently I switched them from the Puppy kibble to the Innova EVO and have been soooo impressed with it and their response to it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-03-2004, 12:27 PM
Corgi bum

Thanks Renee...I'll check that food out. I did a search on it, and there are quite a few places not to far from me where I can buy it.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:43 PM
Top Dog

When I feed cooked I usually use chicken. Then I'll cook brown rice and chop raw veggies like carrots and celery and some squash (I rotate veggies so that there is more variety). I use ground up eggshell for the calcium (gotta regulate the ca : ph ratio)...and then as a supplement I add a mix that I made and keep in a big jar (got that from pitcairn's book). I'll add a tablespoon of it to the serving, not the entire recipe. These are my ingredients for the mix:

2 cups nutritional yeast / 1 cups bone meal powder / cup kelp

And you can also make an oil mix which is a good idea; it adds extra protein and fat...something you need when you're making a home cooked diet, as it will usually lack in fat (add about 1 - 1 1/2 tablespoons to the serving):

1 cups vegetable oil / cup cod liver oil / 50 I.U vitamin E (prevents spoiling)

If you need more information on home cooked diets and whatnot, just let me know and i can post some additional information for you.
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
Corgi bum

Thanks Renee....I'm really interested in doing this for my animals. I don't want them to get bored with the dry all of the time.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:57 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I had my dogs on Eukanuba until I got real and relized what's in dog foods. I did TONS of research and then switched to raw & cooked food (mostly cooked). The funny thing is is not only are the dogs eating Much healthier; I am too!

Anyone look at the 'new' eukanuba natural lamb and rice stuff? Is is any different from the 'old' stuff

pitbulliest I LOVE the new pics in your siggy, they rock!

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 12-03-2004, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

I've never heard of Exclusive.
Old 12-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Top Dog

Brattina..lol thanks..they're quite recent.