Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 02-05-2006, 11:06 AM
Big Dog

Default blood in poop

Well we got a almost 200 dollars worth of blood tests done on Roxy...she has small seizures and she is pooping blood every other day and she is puking alot...and nothing came up!!! I dont get it..this is the fourth time and the second vet and they all say the same thing...there is nothing wrong with her! but how is this so when some days she doesnt even want to play with her toys and she doesnt eat, then pukes all day and poops liquid with blood in it. someone HELP!!!!! we are going to put her on a raw diet she is on IAMs right now, just switched over last month...she was on blue seal number 28 before and she wasnt half as bad, the blood thing has happened about 4 times in the past two weeks. Anybody know whats happening to my dog?? someone said something about a puppy flu going around here...but shes almost 2 years old...plus the vets swear shes okay!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Dog Show Addict

Honestly, I have NO idea whats wrong with her. The blood in her stool could be cause from irritation?

i'd defiantely be switching off of Iams though. Would it be something in Iams that is making her sick?

i'm astonished that your vets have no clue whats wrong with her though!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 02-05-2006, 12:41 PM
It wasn't me

What kind of meds did they prescribe for her, or suugestion on diet? I'm sorry your baby is so ill.

John's website, http://www.colorcrayon.com

change is the only constant in work and life
Old 02-05-2006, 12:58 PM
Fila Love

My first thought was parvo, but I am sure vets tested for that. It's obvious this is not normal, something must be wrong. A friend of mine had a cat that had similar symptoms, after many tests and xrays, she had swallowed a needle. Once they removed the needle she was fine. Could Roxy have swallowed something that is causing stomach/bowel irritation? Have you felt her for any sensitive areas around her stomach area?
I would also take her off the Iams and try a bland diet for few days to see if it makes a difference. Maybe something in her food is irritating her stomach.
Wish I could give you better advice. I hope you can pin point the problem so she will start feeling better.
Poor Roxy, give her hugs and licks from, Roxie, Brutus, and Maggie.
I would have to try another vet...have you considered a holistic vet? Just a thought.

Last edited by filarotten; 02-05-2006 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2006, 01:25 PM

goodness...2 vets think this is normal???? yes, get her off the Iams...but still, she shouldn't have this reaction. can you try yet another vet??? hoping you find help soon. sorry I can't be of more assistance. keep us posted, I'll be thinking of you. so sad your pup is so ill!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2006, 02:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Have they checked for Parvo? I am no exspert....New to this site but does seem something is wrong with dog. Yet two vets cant find anything. I know how frustrating this must be for you...................
Old 02-05-2006, 02:22 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i would go to a soft diet of boiled rice and meat that has had the fat boiled off as well..even pureed if it need be..something is desperately wrong..if that continues and as a supplement get some nutrical that is practically absorbed before it gets to the stomach and let the whole bowel rest for awhile..i have kept many animals that i thought were lost causes alive with nutrical. you can buy it at most petstores..is a high calorie, food in gel base...comes in a tube. you can test if she is dehydrated by pinching a piece of skin lightly and seeing how quickly it returns to the normal place..if it doesnt or goes back slowly i would go to the vet and be adiment..just because they havent found it doenst meant there isnt something very obviously wrong.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 02-05-2006, 04:09 PM
Quigleyfied

My sister in law had a similar problem with her cat. He had bloody diarrhea, was vomiting, being lethargic, refused to eat, lost weight to a point where he was only about the size of a ferret.

3 different allopathic vets found nothing and told her there's nothing wrong with him at all. Yeah right, obviously something has to be wrong if an animal is unhealthy like that!

She finally found a holistic vet who specializes in cats, and she diagnosed Talis with inflammatory bowel disease. He went on a diet of canned food only (with certain restrictions) and was given two different fiber supplements and probiotics and now he's doing fine. Of course this disease will never go away and occasionally he has another outbreak, but not as bad anymore as he used to experience.

I highly recommend you find a different vet, check out http://www.holisticvetlist.com and see if you can find one in your area.

Meanwhile, throw out the Iams and fast your dog for 24 hours. Do not feed any solid food so the digestive tract gets a rest. Small amounts of nutrical or honey are okay, and give plenty of water, or even better, pedialyte.

The only thing I'd recommend as a supplement (during fasting and after) is slippery elm. One heaping teaspoon of finely powdered bark mixed into enough cold water to make a paste and then quickly stirred into a pint of boiling water, let cool and give a teaspoon or two every couple hours.

After the fasting day, feed a mixture of 2 parts white rice (short or medium grain, cooked to death, 1 cup rice to 3-4 cups of water, until you can squish a grain of rice to pulp between your fingers easily) to 1 part cooked skinless chicken or turkey breast with the fat trimmed off. It would be a good idea to run it all through a blender or food processor until it has the consistency of baby food. Short-term you don't have to supplement anything, but if you feed this for some time, you should add 50 mg of calcium supplement per ounce of cooked chicken breast. One pound of this food supplies approximately 625 kcal, compare that to the amount of calories in the daily serving of Iams you were feeding to determine how much to feed.

Do not substitute brown rice for the white, you want something that is easily digested and low-residue, in order to irritate the intestines as little as possible.
- Product Research

I've been frosted!
Old 02-05-2006, 05:42 PM
Top Dog

Mordy , you're great !! I always went with the rice and chicken too. I can't understand the vet's attitude though !!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-06-2006, 08:49 PM
Big Dog

thank you all so much im going to have to wait a week to get money to pay yet another vet who probably got there license off ebay it fustrates me somedays she seems so normal then we go outside and poops watery blood. ive started giving her those beef marrow bones and a few chicken hearts here and there and am slowly tring to figure out how this raw diet works, maybe iams is upsetting her stomach or her poop is to hard....i recently had a baby and for all you females im sure you understand... well there are still foods that make me sick after 6 weeks lol, maybe a raw diet will help, maybe it wont but something has to work i will try anything at this point