Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-23-2012, 11:42 PM
Felurian

Default Watched most of the Dog Show tonight . . .

And WOW! Is it just me or were there some truly tubby dogs in the ring?

Kady's Sako makes that AmStaff look like . . . an out of shape couch potato, and the ACD -- butterball, much? Even the Dane looked puffy. The Iggy looked positively smooth

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-23-2012, 11:44 PM
and Fozzie B!

I noticed that too, Renee! Especially the Amstaff and the Bull Terriers. They were downright rotund, and those dogs should be super cut.... I don't get it? I mean, I'm used to obese show Labs, but there was wayyy too much padding in so many of the breeds.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 PM
Top Dog

I was pleasantly surprised by the Sibe. It was refreshingly moderate, with a decent gait. The head was still far too toy-ish and front feet set under, but it's a vast improvement in what I've seen recently, and I'm being a tad picky.

ETA Screen shot! Just because I thought it was so nice, and I know I complain about the breed a lot. Again, head too dished and front feet are always under these dogs for some reason, but I like it overall.

Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

A lot of breeds are shown really fat. The bull-and-terrier breeds are among those. When I was showing Tess for her title, I put some weight on her so she'd get considered. At one point, she weighed 38 pounds. Judges loved her. She picked up 9 points and her first major in short order, if she didn't get Winners, she was usually Reserve, and if she was Winners, she was Best of Winners and Best Opposite Sex (we never got a Best of Breed, we were showing against the #1 dog in the country, and he was professionally handled).

I took 5 pounds off of her, and getting the last 6 points was like pulling teeth. I was getting them one point at a time, ie; at one show she was the only adult bitch in the classes, and the judge preferred not to give points to puppies, so Tess got the point. She got her 2nd major mostly because I showed her to a judge who had seen her fat and really liked her, so that influenced his opinion.

I keep her at 32 pounds now, and the concept of Tess at 38 pounds makes me shudder.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

I missed most of it, but I thought the colored Bull Terrier was a chunk.

I was hoping the bearded collie would win, since it seemed to be having so much fun, but the Fox Terrier was hard to fault.

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:18 AM
Taxiderpy

How hard would it be for them to find announcers who actually know a little about dogs? Or provide accurate notes for them? They repeated that silly lore again about how pharaoh hounds are the original dogs of the Egyptions... yeah, no.

And they barely showed the borzoi.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:48 AM
and Fozzie B!

^^Srsly... I just cannot STAND John O'Hurley. He's been announcing for dog shows for so freakin' long but still manages to sound like an uneducated moron. He is the real life version of Fred Willard in Best in Show - except not funny.

<3 Erica, Gonzo & Fozzie
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 AM
Felurian

Oh, and the other guy . . . the one who kept saying, "you really need to be the alpha dog with one of these . . ."

And WTF? The Xolo? Goes back 400 years? That's not even scratching the surface.

But d@mn, was that Cavvie adorable or what?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-24-2012, 02:00 AM
Top Dog

I mute the announcers. They've always gotten on my nerves with that sort of thing.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:36 AM
Taxiderpy

If someone with amazing google fu could find out the name of the borzoi shown, that would be awesome. I've been searching everyone and come up with nothing. He's got a familiar look and I'm curious to see if he's related to who I think it is.