Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-28-2012, 06:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Default 'Where did you get them?'

Do y'all get this question? I get it often enough and I am still not sure what they're asking. I'm talking about random people at parks and stores and things like that, not 'dog people'. Are they asking if I got them at a store or a breeder? Breeder names? I typically answer 'A breeder in Texas and a breeder in Oklahoma.'

I never know what to say to that question. That and 'how much did they cost?/Were they expensive?' Which I also get a lot.

Last edited by Laurelin; 11-28-2012 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

I get that question a lot. My answer is always just "a breeder here in the city" if they just as "where did you get your dog/s?". If they ask who, then I tell them where. Normally I'm asked in doggy places though.

Sometimes though I've accidentally asked people where they got their dogs (when I see Tollers or Dobermans), and what I mean to ask is who they got their dog from just out of curiosity. Especially when I see a really nice example of either breed.

When people in non-doggy places ask I again just tell them "from a breeder here" and leave it at that. Sometimes with Dance I get "you can get those dogs here?!" like she's some rare commodity or something haha. To which I tell them that yes, there are lots of breeders of her breed all over Canada and the US.

People sometimes ask me their cost as well and I tell them they were over $1000 just because I don't know why they're asking. Maybe they're genuinely interested in the breed and want to know what they cost on average. I don't know. I've gotten told I could've got a better deal on a Doberman before though lol. Sometimes depending on the person if I get a bad feel for things I tend to just kind of avoid that question too.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM
aka RedHotBabe

I get asked that. When I respond with "A breeder in Illinois" they usually just give me strange looks like they can't figure out why anyone would get a dog from that far away, lol.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:57 PM
Behavior Nerd

Try having a dog from Canada when you live in NC... I haven't had the question asked much but when I have I get lots of funny looks. The Customs guys didn't understand it either when we drove up to get Aeri and we got pulled over for additional screening!

Old 11-28-2012, 06:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I'll occasionally get asked by the general public where my dogs are from, but I don't think I've ever been asked about cost. For Mira I say Minnesota, for Webster I say he came free with a bag of dog food , and for Kim I say Petfinder.

Probably 95% of the time, though, when someone asks where my dogs are from it's a dog sport person and they are asking about Mira. So the "general public" scenario isn't really that common.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

I get asked this a lot by random people we encounter (I've actually never taken Trent anywhere near dog people before). Since Trent's breeder is local, I tell them "he's from a breeder in Salem", because I'm assuming everyone knows the state's capital. A lot of people who ask start off with a story about how they used to have a German Shepherd dog, too, and how great their dog was. I figure they may be wondering if he is from the same breeder or keeping breeders in mind for future reference... or they may just be flat out curious. I almost always ask someone where their German Shepherd is from when I come across one. I'm a creeper

I think I was asked about Trent's purchase price once or twice when he was a really young puppy, and I didn't mind telling them the amount. One lady who asked had a dog pass away recently and was legitimately wanting to get another.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:10 PM
orange iguanas.

I just say "a breeder in X City". Most people just say oh okay and leave it at that, so I don't know if I actually answered their question or not lol. I don't know why people ask in the first place. If I see like, a border collie that I really like I will ask where specifically that dog came from. Cuz maybe I want to get a dog from the same place. But generally I don't really care if someones dog is from a breeder or rescue? Lol.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-28-2012, 07:12 PM
I'm All Ears

I get asked by dog people too (not the price though) and I get that and give breeder name usually. I assume they mean to ask what breeder they're from. But I also tend to assume dog people are more knowledgeable and are genuinely curious/interested. It's the general public that I'm not sure what they're actually asking. Are they asking breeder name or store/breeder/rescue? Usually when I say breeder they look at me funny.

This last week I was at the park and a lady came up and that was the first question out of her mouth. But she didn't seem that interested. I'm wondering if she was thinking they were from the local pet store that sells puppies. They have papillons disturbingly often.

I get asked 'Were they expensive?' more often than actual price. That's a horrible question though because I have no idea what 'expensive' is to them.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Top Dog

People seem really surprised for some reason when I say I got Lily at the shelter. *shrug*
Old 11-28-2012, 07:29 PM
Top Dog

I ask this of other people, sometimes - but usually I don't just say "where did you get her", I say "was she a rescue?" or "did you get her from a breeder?". So yes, I usually mean breeder/rescue.

No one ever asks me about my own dogs, but people have asked me about dogs I walk or sit for - in that case I usually say "she's not mine, but she was a rescue dog" or "she's not mine but I believe her breeder was upstate"

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com