Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
While that does make sense, the reasoning most folks I know have a .22 is that they cannot see themselves justifiably killing someone.
Not picking on you, just pointing out something in general.

Anybody that can't deal with the idea of killing someone in self defense should not have a gun for self defense. Period. Wounded criminals are pissed off criminals (especially if they're suffering from mental illness or on drugs) and wounding someone can make what's coming your way a thousand times worse.

Also, there's a huge risk they'll get your weapon away from you and use it against you.

You're a lot better off with mace or a tazer in that case.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Not picking on you, just pointing out something in general.

Anybody that can't deal with the idea of killing someone in self defense should not have a gun for self defense. Period. Wounded criminals are pissed off criminals (especially if they're suffering from mental illness or on drugs) and wounding someone can make what's coming your way a thousand times worse.

Also, there's a huge risk they'll get your weapon away from you and use it against you.

You're a lot better off with mace or a tazer in that case.
I agree with you. I personally will never have a gun for self defense for that reason (not that I can in this country anyway), though I totally want one for the range.

Gotta love our country, though. Mace is also a prohibited weapon, as are tasers. At least guns are restricted and non-restricted, depending on type, so I can legally possess them.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Top Dog

Never pull a gun, unless you intend on killing someone. If you're not willing to do what is necessary, you're more likely to end up a victim of your own gun. Better off not having it.

as for home defense?? why a pistol? Get a shotgun and you'd be much better off
Old 11-22-2012, 09:47 PM
Twin 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
Never pull a gun, unless you intend on killing someone. If you're not willing to do what is necessary, you're more likely to end up a victim of your own gun. Better off not having it.

as for home defense?? why a pistol? Get a shotgun and you'd be much better off
This.
Except, as to the last part, it seemed like she wanted something she could also carry with her.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Fishies!

Home defense and CC guns aren't equivalent and a lot of people might be better off with two. Or three.

CC you want light weight and small. In your home, you won't likely require that. Target practice, you definitely don't want that unless you're already very proficient.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:18 PM
Felurian

Taurus' Public Defender has a lot of features that make sense to me, especially being able to accommodate loading it with shot shells. I figure if I'm in a situation where I've got to reach for a gun and shoot someone, I'm probably going to have the adrenaline rush from hell and will need something that I don't have to be super accurate with to be deadly.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-det...ategory=Pistol

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-22-2012, 10:33 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
Home defense and CC guns aren't equivalent and a lot of people might be better off with two. Or three.

CC you want light weight and small. In your home, you won't likely require that. Target practice, you definitely don't want that unless you're already very proficient.
Agree. I have CC, but I really don't care much for the .38 in my purse. Even though it's an air weight, it still adds more weight and bulk to my purse than I'd like so it pretty much stays at home for defense. Hence my shopping for a small .22 for the purse.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM
*Now with Snark*

I've shot the public defender and in my hands it felt OMG heavy and clumsy but generally speaking I've found that true of most of the 45's. The reason I ended up choosing a revolver was that I wanted something stupid easy to use, load, and unload. There's not much hidden in a revolver to fark up too badly and I seemed to have so much trouble getting a semi auto pistol reliably started and didn't trust myself enough to fumble with it if I needed it.

I then went through my various models and picked the one I felt was the most comfortable to use with the most stopping power I felt comfortable with firing, one that I could conceal on my body frame, and felt right to my hand.

Then I decided on my ammo. My concern place was with walking my dogs at night in a fairly rural area. My dogs are about as intimidating as stuffed animals so I could see someone trying something stupid. At the same time I was concerned about where my bullet would end up if I fired it and I wanted something affordable to practice with. I did a bunch of research and found my round and practice round. I suggest you think it over and do the same.

As far as home defense - shotgun is where it's at. If the son of a bitch doesn't run when he hears it cocked he deserves what's comin'. Again, evaluate where you live and decide on your shells.

Then there is the legal aspect of all of this. You need to understand that killing someone may ruin you financially even if it was 110% justified. So think over what you should and should not tell police if the worst should come to your home. Words can and will be used against you.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:44 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
P9R.

It's the one the Hungarian police use. 9mm round. It's sooo awesomely calibrated that when you shoot the brass all lands within a 4 inch square pile of each other when they're ejected.

I don't have a handgun for defense because I don't think I can bring myself to actually shoot at someone. But I've shot a lot of handguns. Of them all, the P9R is my favorite. It was really easy to load, easy to shoot, barely had a kick, and of all I've tried it was the easiest to get a nice grouping on the target.

oooh I like that one... course I'd have to get my hands on one before I will eventually decide what it is that I want. Josh and I are going to the shooting range in the morning and they have a gun store there. I'm going to talk to whoever works there and see if they have guns people can shoot or if they know anywhere I can try out different ones. I just don't want to buy anything that I haven't shot.

I have a .22 Rimfire semi auto Remington rifle and a lever action Winchester 30 30 model 94. Josh used to have a 12 gauge shotgun and wants another one. I'm eventually getting a 20 gauge (for hunting) though not sure yet what model I want. My 20 gauge technically could be used for home defense as well though I would prefer a shorter barrel as well for it if I used it at all for that purpose. Still definitely want a nice handgun though.

Not sure how I shoot with a handgun, but I'm pretty good with the rifles/shotguns. I definitely want to practice some with a few different handguns.

Also... with home defense... my intent definitely would be to kill. I would not want to risk just injuring someone and them coming after me/taking my weapon, etc. Shoot to kill has always been what I've been told. I would hope it would absolutely never ever have to come to that... but I want to be prepared just in case.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
You don't trust Joey to protect you?

hehehe baby kangaroo punch!

hahahaha... he's about as protective as a stuffed teddy bear lol... maybe I can teach him to bounce on intruders as a deterrent
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle