Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-22-2012, 09:10 PM
Wookie Collie

A lot of folks I know have a steady little .22 caliber for home defense, as they're lightweight, easy to fire and also enjoyable to take to the range for hobby shooting. It would be my gun of choice if I could get away with legally having it unlocked in my home. :P

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
A lot of folks I know have a steady little .22 caliber for home defense, as they're lightweight, easy to fire and also enjoyable to take to the range for hobby shooting. It would be my gun of choice if I could get away with legally having it unlocked in my home. :P
A .22 is not a weapon I'd advise for home/personal defense. If you're shooting at someone - in fear of your life -your intent should be to kill them. Period. My personal suggestion for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with rounds appropriate for the environment you live in. For personal carry it's whatever gun is comfortable and simple for you to use under stress and lethal enough for you to finish the job in a small burst.

Shooting yet not killing an intruder/attacker can lead to legal complications that no one should have to deal with. So remember:

Dead people have a hard time telling their side of the story.

They also have a hard time filing lawsuits about their pain and suffering.

Your end goal with firing a gun at a person should be two things -
Surviving the encounter and the act being declared justifiable homicide.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:26 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
A .22 is not a weapon I'd advise for home/personal defense. If you're shooting at someone - in fear of your life -your intent should be to kill them. Period. My personal suggestion for home defense is a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with rounds appropriate for the environment you live in. For personal carry it's whatever gun is comfortable and simple for you to use under stress and lethal enough for you to finish the job in a small burst.

Shooting yet not killing an intruder/attacker can lead to legal complications that no one should have to deal with. So remember:

This.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-22-2012, 09:28 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:

While that does make sense, the reasoning most folks I know have a .22 is that they cannot see themselves justifiably killing someone.

I know I'd have a much better time psychologically by simply injuring someone, despite the lawsuit that may occur. I guess it would depend on the severity of the situation I'd find myself in, though.

The culture here is quite different. :P

RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 11-22-2012, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:

I agree 100000000%. Ask any policeman or military person...expert. They'll agree. Shoot to Kill. ALWAYS... if you're going to shoot a gun at someone. Absolutely. It's incredibly dangerous to just injure a perpetrator who breaks into your house or is violent. If someone breaks into my house in the middle of the night, in my mind, it's me or them. Period. No middle ground there.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-22-2012, 09:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

You don't trust Joey to protect you?

hehehe baby kangaroo punch!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM
Wookie Collie

Folks I know are quite misinformed then! This wouldn't surprise me.

Around these parts, you cannot keep a gun in your home without a PAL (which I do have) and even then, it has to be locked three different ways. So much for self defense.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Your gun control is much more intense than ours, I believe.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:26 PM
Taxiderpy

P9R.

It's the one the Hungarian police use. 9mm round. It's sooo awesomely calibrated that when you shoot the brass all lands within a 4 inch square pile of each other when they're ejected.

I don't have a handgun for defense because I don't think I can bring myself to actually shoot at someone. But I've shot a lot of handguns. Of them all, the P9R is my favorite. It was really easy to load, easy to shoot, barely had a kick, and of all I've tried it was the easiest to get a nice grouping on the target.

If you want a revolver, the m1895 Nagant is pretty dang awesome and sometimes you can get one for about $100. They're safer than other revolvers as far as not getting burned by vented gas from the cylinder. The only drawback is the ammo is expensive but you run into that problem with any firearm.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:28 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Your gun control is much more intense than ours, I believe.
Your state is awesome, because you can have fully automatic firearms but you can't pump your own gas.