Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-21-2012, 09:50 PM
Top Dog

Default Overtime Question

Just had a quick question for you lovely Chazzers.

At my job, we are paid time and a half for working on Sundays. If you do not work Sunday, and you go over 40 hours, obviously you are paid overtime.

However, if you DO work Sunday, and you go over 40 hours, you are paid time and a half for Sunday, but not for the overtime. It's been explained to me that since you are already receiving time and a half, well, you don't get anymore.

You see, on the time card and on our checks, we have two separate 'classes' of pay, ...Regular Hours are xx, Overtime Hours are xx. Sunday hours are always included in overtime hours. So say you work 44 hours, and 8 of those are Sunday hours. The check will say you only worked 36 hours regular, and 8 hours overtime/Sunday. So you don't really get paid overtime, for working those extra four hours.

Is that legal?? Am I making sense? Haha..

Old 11-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I don't know, but if I got paid time and a half to work on Sundays I would be pushing people out of the way to work EVERY Sunday!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I don't know, but if I got paid time and a half to work on Sundays I would be pushing people out of the way to work EVERY Sunday!
Definitely. I work every Sunday .

Old 11-21-2012, 10:23 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I am so beyond jelly. lol

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:59 PM
Top Dog

I don't know for certain. But we've having our own overtime issues at work and it's SUPER frustrating and I'm 99% sure illegal >.<
Old 11-22-2012, 06:01 AM
Top Dog

I'd be keeping my mouth shut, because I suspect if the issue were pushed, Sundays would be switched to regular pay unless it is for over 40 hours.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:31 AM
Top Dog

So say you work 44 hours, and 8 of those are Sunday hours. The check will say you only worked 36 hours regular, and 8 hours overtime/Sunday. So you don't really get paid overtime, for working those extra four hours.

That sounds right to me. That's the way my old job did it.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:44 AM
Big Dog

I think every state is different on the overtime. You should be able to look it up on the States Department of Revenue site.

http://www.tulipscloset.net/
Old 11-22-2012, 06:58 AM
Twin 1

Sundays don't have to count as overtime, right? So what they could be doing instead is giving you 40 hours of regular pay and 4 hours of overtime. But since they're giving you overtime on Sundays, you get 8 hours of overtime. I'd say that's a pretty good deal.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:20 AM
Silence! I ban you!

I worked at Kmart while in high school and college (this goes back quite a few years). That is the way it was worked. We had three classes, regular, Sunday and overtime. Your Sunday time was always time and a half regardless of the regular hours worked. If you had 32 regular hours and 8 Sunday hours, yes, you got time and a half for those 8 Sunday. The Sunday didn't count toward your 40 hours for the purposes of "overtime" too (since you already were getting overtime).

That was "back in the day" when employees were considered an asset and not disposable. We got our birthday off with pay, 2 weeks vacation regardless of full time/part time status, Sunday overtime and even a Christmas bonus. Heck, when I worked in electronics there, I got commission on the sales in addition to my regular pay.

Later, the Sunday pay became "base plus $1 per hour" so if you made $6 an hour normally, Sunday pay was $7. I stopped working Sundays at that point because it wasn't worth it. I had plenty of church and family activities and would always be rushing to get to work for my shift after church. By reducing my pay for the day, the incentive was gone.