Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-08-2004, 01:02 PM
Active Pup

Talking Lifting leg?

I live in an apartment and I have a 5 month old Siberian Husky and I was wondering when they start to lift their leg. Our backyard is big and open and there isn't very much for him to lift his leg. He doesn't really want to mark his territory but he does smell where a dog has relieved themself. I was just wonder when a dog usually lifts his leg.
Old 04-08-2004, 03:13 PM
Felurian

It varies from one dog to another. They will, eventually, whether they've been neutered or not. My Bimmer was doing it from the time he was 4 1/2 months old; my first German Shepherd was about the same, but our Australian Shepherd didn't start until he was about 6 months old. I wouldn't worry too much, though, as long as he doesn't want to do it inside!
Old 04-13-2004, 01:36 PM
Puppy Dog

Cool Lifting leg

We thought Corgan my Husky was a little confused with his sex....he did not lift his leg to pee until he was over a year Phyl
Old 04-14-2004, 07:47 PM
Active Pup

Default leg lifting

I have a chinese shar pei and he was 9 months old i thought he would never start to lift his leg he turned a year old in feb and he still squats occacionally guess its a dogs world he will hike when he is ready a'Ronda
Old 04-14-2004, 08:26 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Sometimes a male dog will see no need to do this unless they see another male doing it.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 AM
Active Pup

I got my male dog neutered at 6 months of age & I never thought he would lift his leg...He didn't start lifting it until he was about a year old or more
Old 04-30-2004, 08:15 AM
Active Pup

So you mean even if there are no females around, they will instinctively lift their leg and mark territory? I live in a condo unit so I know i'll be finding his lifting leg thing a prob soon. I have two males and theyre still so young but my question is, do they all go through this even without a female in sight? Also, I was wondering why some were worried that their males didnt lift their legs? Does it indicate soemthing if they dont lift their legs? thanks!
Old 04-30-2004, 06:21 PM
Active Pup

My lab hardly ever lifted his leg, he used to lean forward and pee, he must have only done it max 20 times in his whole life.
Old 04-30-2004, 06:44 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruth27
So you mean even if there are no females around, they will instinctively lift their leg and mark territory? I live in a condo unit so I know i'll be finding his lifting leg thing a prob soon. I have two males and theyre still so young but my question is, do they all go through this even without a female in sight? Also, I was wondering why some were worried that their males didnt lift their legs? Does it indicate soemthing if they dont lift their legs? thanks!
Yep, Ruth, they will do the doggie ballet even if there are no females around. It's just a guy-dog thing.

As far as I know, though, it's not a big deal if they are very late doing it, or rarely do it; it's just a behavior. Oddly enough, though, I've observed that small dogs seem to be more aggressive markers than a lot of the large breeds.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:14 PM
Active Pup

My dog only started once he was well over a year old, and still doesn't lift his leg unless it's at a good spot (Fire hydrant, particularly spelly telephone pole...)