Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-10-2005, 11:56 PM
Felurian

Bubbatd, I don't do the BARF diet (completely impractical for me, my beasts, and the standard issue 24-hour day), but here are some good links:

http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...w_diet_htm.htm
http://www.greatdanelady.com/article..._right_htm.htm
http://www.greatdanelady.com/article...et_options.htm

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 12:14 AM
Top Dog

Default Thanks Renee !

I have given my dogs the same brand of dog food for 40 years... I do add vegies and Omega oils depending on any problems. My vets have always said ..." if it ain't broke, don't fix it " I was just just questioning as it seems that unless we follow other's recommended diets we are feeding poison and are bad owners. My dogs always loved grapes and raisons ....glad I was clued into that no -no !!!
Old 01-11-2005, 12:32 AM
Felurian

The problem, like I've finally got my Charley to acknowledge, is the production of food has changed significantly over the years - much of it just in the last two decades. We now inject our food supply with all sorts of hormones, chemicals and other toxins to make it grow bigger quicker cheaper. We stuff our feed animals full of unnecessary - and harmful - antibiotics. You wouldn't believe what the feed lots WANT us to do with our cattle! (We don't). What the animal food manufacturers are using is the waste from many different industries as well, not just food production. And how about the traces of the drugs used to euthanize pet species found in many commonly fed dog foods? Our animals are developing all sorts of skin problems, cancers and other chronic conditions that are not all the result of poor breeding - many more are now the result of poor feeding. And the conditions some of these "pet companies" keep their lab animals in and the treatment they receive are unconscionable.

As for things like grapes and raisins, well, it's going to depend on the quantity and the size of the dog. My Shiva ate an entire (stolen) bag of expensive, gourmet raisins I was planning on using in a dish for Charley (he still doesn't know about that little transgression and we're not telling him either! ). She's none the worse for wear. She also ate an entire bag of Oreos. Of course, I never find the remains until it's much too late to worry about it.

By the way, if you're interested, there's a thread here - it may even be sticky - with an article about what it is that's toxic in raisins and grapes.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-11-2005, 12:40 AM
Island dweller

That's so true Renee, I've seen you point it out a lot, about the way our food has changed. It's also true if you think about how OUR food has changed. I guess in a sense it's there food too. With genetically-modified ingredients, pesticides, herbicides... And the WAY we eat! Dont' get me started. There are some people that NEVER eat food that isn't processed. No wonder we're a bunch of sickies.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Thank you, Serena.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
Obviously your having issues (what a shock) on properly using the ingonre button. If you had simple knoweldge on how to execute this simple feature you would not even be aware of my response.

Sitting there going "Lalala I can' hear Serena does not count, and if your going to say you put me on ignore than have the balls to say so.

Truth be told I would have you on ingore but I'm waiting for you to make the slightest screw up so I can ban your account. Unfortunately as much as you irk me and as stupid as I think you are I still have to moderate your posts.

I do hope those poor dogs in your care are not needless suffering. It's a shame that the only time better foods are coinsidered is if our dogs are ill.

OH so SENSITIVE one...seriously you may want to look into mood stabilizers for yourself.

Lithium would be a great one that would help you content with those manic highs and lows; bipolar disoreder should not be taken lightly?
You obviously didn't see that ElinHunter was not responding to you. ???
Old 01-19-2005, 11:12 PM
Active Pup

aren't you all digressing a bit here?
Old 01-20-2005, 12:06 AM
Island dweller

Frenchfries, this thread probably doesn't make a lot of sense to you. It got out of control and quite a few posts have been deleted. If you want to bring the topic up again you could start a new thread.

We do tend to difress a lot though. A chatty bunch we can be.
Old 01-23-2005, 06:03 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
You really should read the article at the link TiggersDad supplied: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

No way would I ever feed my animals Pedigree. I'd rather feed them out of the garbage can than take a chance with Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt, ad nauseum. It would be safer and more nutritious in the long run.
Thats why i make my dogs own food then I have no question about the quality my dogs are getting.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:40 PM
Island dweller

Do you feed your dogs organic meat? Just curious - not trying to start anything. I always worry about the amount of growth hormones, pesticides... in meat. Either way I still think it's better than feeding junk dog food.