Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 01-04-2005, 02:29 PM
Big Dog

Default pedigree food

I'd like to ask for your opinion...From the moment i adopted prita i've been feeding her almost all the products of pedigree she loves the schmachos treats and the chucky(or whatever it's called over there(pal?)) She loves the canned rice with chicken and also the dental rask .
Do you know if the food they provide is good or not?
Anyone has tried this food with your pet?

ps: sorry for naming out a brand...i just want some help to find what's best for my dog

thanks in advance for any insight on this!
Old 01-04-2005, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

It's the only brand all my dogs can eat! I know i've heard its not the best but they like it and are healthy on it. I know it doesn't have some of the bad things in it(they did a thing on the news a while back about the leftover drugs in the food slowly killing dogs when it builds up in there system-edit*which I just noticed is stickied at the top!). They all love the dentabones too. The food the vet always trys to get us to use gives the dobe runs That was not fun to deal with. I know there are some websites that list how good the foods are but most of the good ones are things i've never even seen in the store!
Old 01-04-2005, 06:24 PM
Felurian

You really should read the article at the link TiggersDad supplied: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

No way would I ever feed my animals Pedigree. I'd rather feed them out of the garbage can than take a chance with Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt, ad nauseum. It would be safer and more nutritious in the long run.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-05-2005, 02:55 AM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
You really should read the article at the link TiggersDad supplied: http://www.api4animals.org/79.htm

No way would I ever feed my animals Pedigree. I'd rather feed them out of the garbage can than take a chance with Pedigree, Purina, Iams, Eukanuba, Science DIEt, ad nauseum. It would be safer and more nutritious in the long run.
yikes ...that made me almost puke!
thanks for the article!gee and i thought pedigree was an innocent one .
Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serena
Pedigree? Your dog would be better off eating donuts and hot dogs..Pedigree is PURE junk.
Serena, do you have anything proactive to add? I am somewhat new to the forum but find your posts to be very opinionated and pointed. If you have such a problem with Pedigree, perhaps you could give reason why? I would love to hear it since I give one of my dogs Pedigree and he's eaten that for 12 years.
Old 01-08-2005, 08:33 AM
Felurian

EliNHunter, being new, you've probably missed the numerous and lengthy discussions posted here on dog food and nutrition - or lack thereof.

The reason our answers on this subject tend to be rather terse and to the point is that the information is already here to be read - several times over.

Check the link above that TiggersDad originally posted in another of these threads. You'll find it most enlightening - and disgusting. Another reference I give is www.greatdanelady.com . Linda Arndt has amassed years of superb information that she shares with dog owners.

Some dogs do survive on tripe like Pedigree, Iams, Science DIEt, Puriina products (and numerous others) for many years; it's more a testament to the canine abililty to survive than anything else.

Just compare it to a lifetime of consuming Twinkies and sodas vs. a balanced diet of foods untreated by chemicals, hormones and carcinogens. You might live a long time on that kind of diet, but your quality of life will suffer and you're at a very increased risk for all sorts of chronic health issues.

Charley initially thought I was nuts, insisting on feeding our dogs the Innova feed instead of the $15.00 a bag Purina from the grocery store. Now he looks at them and points out how healthy they are, how good they look, the energy they have, how HIS (??) dogs are so far superior to other dogs - and tells people they really should look into this food!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 01-08-2005, 01:00 PM
Big Dog

I stopped feeding pedigree for the last few days i just cook for her...but really this is not going to work when school starts,i won't have the time to cook for her.So the last few days i went to almost all the pet shops and supermarkets that exist close to my house and far from my house...i spent hours to look for a good brand of dog food...and guess with what i came up?nothing...just pedigree, friskies and purina.
I really don't know what to do...Maybe it will be better to feed her what i make for myself.
I asked the vet if i can feed my dog,the stuff i eat and said no if i don't want her to smell bad since most of the time she's in the house(also her poo will be too smelly).Also that some stuff that i eat can poison her example : onions,garlic etc

She told me also that the dog takes everything it needs from the dry food...so i could feed her only that...I find it cruel though to feed her only that...

Still trying to find a result on this...I live in Greece where there are just limited dog food...i couldn't find the innova thing i've read about or Wellness etc...

"Dogs have given us their absolute all. We are the center of their universe. We are the focus of their love and faith and trust. They serve us in return for scraps. It is without a doubt the best deal man has ever made." ~Roger Caras
Prita's slideshow

Last edited by josephine; 01-08-2005 at 01:11 PM.
Old 01-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Abby's Mom

So I am lost. What is the best dog food avaialable we use Beneful now but would like to get her switched
Old 01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I sincerely hope you take the time to further educate yourself on pet nutrition. There is a TON of information available.

There is NO excuse for pet owners to lack nutritional knowledge today...Period.
Ok, so once again I get your harsh criticism. But I'll bite. Just where do I find the wealth of info to keep my dogs the healthiest they can be? I have a Lab on Science Diet and he is VERY healthy with a GREAT coat. Then I have a golden who's been on Pedigree his entire life and am afraid to switch diets on him. I grew up with dogs living on nothing but Purina dog chow and they all lived to be 15 or so. What am I supposed to do? Feed them live rabbits and chickens??
Old 01-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Feeding live rabbits and chickens? Why do you ask about that. Is researching proper nutrition such a difficult and tedious step for you that you would rather set your dogs loose to hunt their own food rather than taking responsibility for their health and learning on the subject. Shame on you.
Ummm... I think that was a joke. Sorry you didn't get it, Serena. Like I would set my dogs free to fend for themselves. I guess I don't see what the big deal is when my dogs (probably 20 over my lifetime so far) have lived long, healthy lives on store-bought kibble. Yes, I've done my research, thank you very much, and I see as much bad press as good press. If you have some brand new research that has just come to light about what we should feed our dogs and why, I'd love to see it...