Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

Default Would you secret shop other breeders in your area?

Just to see what they send out, what clearances they do, and so on?

I'm still working on a final webpage, but it annoys me sooo much that there are lots of breeders on many of the lists who do nothing or next to nothing for health testing and pump out the puppies. I know from looking before that many of the stock dog people said things that were against show borders, like they all have hip problems (which is why they're tested, the working dogs don't, so they don't need to test them ), and so on. Of course I don't want to say 'hey, I'm going to be breeding a litter, what do you do, what do you send out, how much do you charge, do you ask questions...' so thinking I'll get another email address and do some shopping and see..

Thoughts?
Old 11-19-2012, 09:50 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't know.

I don't like the idea of contacting breeders if you're not actually interested. May not bother some people but it doesn't quite sit right with me. I think fishing for information when you're not actually out to buy is very different from considering a breeder then asking for information (and subsequently deciding yay or nay on said breeder).

I think there's nothing wrong about poking around websites and OFA and things like that and seeing what you can find out just out of curiosity.

All in all, I wouldn't want to base my own breeding/contracts/selling on what other people do, I'd want to base it on what I think is ethical and right. In the end the proof is in the pudding, imo.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:58 PM
Resident fainting goat

the idea doesn't sit right with me. Breeders are already busy with emails..to make them spend their time talking with "fake" puppy buyers doesn't seem very honest. Plus, that isn't the most friendly/honest/open way to get to know fellow breeders, there is enough drama and gossiping in that world already..

Do what you think is right, at a price you think is right.. list of all it and go from there. Who cares what other breeders are doing IMO

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM
& the Muttly Crew

I don't really get the point of doing that. If they are people you admire in the breed or have a breeding program you would like to emulate, then go ahead and ask about their practices but be upfront about it. Networking and getting relevant advice is to be encouraged...looking at publicly available information (website, OFA databases, etc.) is perfectly fine...but misleading people is certainly not.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-19-2012, 10:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
I don't really get the point of doing that. If they are people you admire in the breed or have a breeding program you would like to emulate, then go ahead and ask about their practices but be upfront about it. Networking and getting relevant advice is to be encouraged...looking at publicly available information (website, OFA databases, etc.) is perfectly fine...but misleading people is certainly not.
This ^^^^ instead of lurking develop a relationship with them and find the one that best suits your goals and aspirations and have them as mentors.