Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 02-01-2006, 08:26 AM
Top Dog

I think the reaction to this article here is a little silly. That dog should be put down, it almost killed a child. All of you people defending it, I challenge you to put your child in a room with that dog, or any other dog with a history of violence. I know I certainly wouldn't.
I would be saying the same thing if it were a lab, or a border collie, or any other breed of dog.
It almost killed that poor little girl, and certainly disfigured her for the rest of her life.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:56 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Typical typical typical.

Dog in a home, owner not present.

I would bet money the kid was in the dog's face when it happened.

Tragic.

I hope the child recovers ok. Imagine the mental scars. Wow.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinaweena
I think the reaction to this article here is a little silly. That dog should be put down, it almost killed a child. All of you people defending it, I challenge you to put your child in a room with that dog, or any other dog with a history of violence. I know I certainly wouldn't.
I would be saying the same thing if it were a lab, or a border collie, or any other breed of dog.
It almost killed that poor little girl, and certainly disfigured her for the rest of her life.
I think the Dog should be put down but I also think the owner should lose her right to ever own a dog again. That dogs behavior was created by its life experiences and I bet they weren't very good. Its too late for that dog, I just don't want another dog to be raised the same way.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:40 AM
Top Dog

There is a followup article today that states they do not know if the child was unattended with the dog. I wonder why the 2 adults who were in the house can't say yes they were with the child or no they were not?

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...602010363/1006
Old 02-01-2006, 09:41 AM
RedyreRottweilers

I agree completely, AmStaffer.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:30 AM
Top Dog

I agree with that also, that she shouldn't be allowed to own dogs. But I also think all the people in this thread saying "ohh it was probably the little girls fault, poor dog" is kinda strange to me.
The dog was trying to kill the little girl, and almost succeeded it sounds like. It's not the little girls fault for being in the dogs face, if she indeed was, that's what kids do. It's the adults fault for allowing a small child around a dog that had probably exibited aggressive bahviour, since everybody claims that pit bulls don't just "snap and go crazy".
Old 02-01-2006, 10:37 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Definitely NOT the child's fault.

It's a 3YO for crying out loud. If the child was in the wrong place doing the wrong thing, it's the PARENT's fault.

The dog should be destroyed.

If anyone does NOT think that dog should be destroyed, it should come to live in THEIR house.

Imagine looking every day at a dog who tried to tear the scalp off a toddler, and would NOT RELEASE!!!

No thanks.

If one of my own dogs ever did anything like this, it would be dead before the sun went down.

PERIOD>
Old 02-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Top Dog

I think a good family dog has more tolerance for things kids do. I've had lots of dogs, GSDs, Labs, mixes etc with my kids when they were toddlers and although watched, there were occasional times where the kids would do something which I corrected them for, but the dogs were all very tolerant and would walk away if they were being bugged. One time my 2 yr. old son squeezed my GSD's muzzle and turned it like a door knob. He didn't know what he was doing. I told him "no." But it had already happened. The dog made a little wincing sound but put up with it.... and then walked away, quite unperturbed. Another time, my son fell off a table onto the soundly sleeping GSD and knocked the wind out of the dog. He grunted, got up, walked across the room and lay down again.....unfettered. Small kids do weird things and a dog with a decent temperament, as well as proper handling, should be able to tolerate a little bit, especially if it is not trapped and free to leave the immediate area. That is my opinion after having lots of dogs with young children. Dogs have hung out with kids for eons, gone fishing with them, gone exploring and parents didn't supervise them constantly...that's a little older kids anyway.

Back then, when my kids were small, not so much was said about supervising kids and dogs. They just kind of went together. My GSD would hang out with my kids without my watching every second. He was their pal and he loved them like crazy....watched over them, put up with stuff, just wagged his tail and was thrilled to be with them...never one iota of resentment or "crossness" of anything to do with those kids and their friends.

This is indeed a tragic thing. I do hope the child recovers OK. I would definitely destroy the dog. It is unfortunate but simply not safe.
Old 02-01-2006, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Same here,Dober. My Goldens were great with my kids. But, I had to teach them that all dogs weren't as docile.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 02-01-2006, 11:05 AM
RedyreRottweilers

A good sane dog should treat an annoying toddler as it would an annoying puppy. At the MOST a dog might correct a toddler by knocking it down. This is a reasonable reaction to an obviously smaller weaker pack member who is teasing or annoying the dog.

Dogs who have good bite inhibition do not bite like this bitch did. I can imagine the history on the dog:

Bred from idiots who have no business breeding dogs.
Placed at too young an age
No training
No discouraging of mouthing at an early age
No bite inhibition training

Who among you would go off and leave your dog loose and unattended with a family member?

I would NOT.

A very sad situation all the way around. The dog pays with it's life for the mistakes of the humans who caused her birth and raised her. The kid pays with a lifetime of a traumatic memory, and scars.

No winners here.

None at all.