Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog News and Articles

Old 01-31-2006, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Default PB Attacks Toddler

This is from my local paper.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/p...601310361/1006
Old 01-31-2006, 01:17 PM
bullie lover

That is tragic - but the article does bring up a very good point that i wish MORE people would get through their **** heads...

"In general, Caldwell said, children never should be left unattended with dogs, even if they are the family pet."

Regardless of breed that would be a good rule to have if you have kids.

I know this isn't the case here, but a lot of dog bites could be avoided if people practiced some common sense.

Also why didn't this owner have the dog vaccinated? If she wasn't vaccinated i wonder what training or other care the dog was lacking?

Just questions and opinions of mine...
Old 01-31-2006, 02:07 PM
Twin 2.0

That's sad.
Old 01-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Island dweller

that's so sad. I think it was a pretty good article though.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

Soooooooo Sad!!!!

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-31-2006, 03:22 PM
Top Dog

Well, consider the mother is in her early 20's, just got picked up on warrants, you can imagine the training the dog had- none. Another thug with a dog for a status symbol unfortunately. There is a byline on that web site that says they put the dog down today. I HATE seeing this stuff happen. I wish there was a way to ban irresponsible people from owning dogs.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

What really gets to me is that they say the dog attacked without provocation..how the heck would anyone know if the child or the dog wasn't even supervised at that time? There are so many missing parts to all these dog attack stories that they don't even bother considering...and that could be extremely important in actually determining why dog bites/attacks actually occur, and especially why they usually involve either young children or seniors...

*sigh*

And then the article goes on to speak about the 22 year old mother that is the actual owner of the dog..how she spit at the camera and how she has two charges or something of the sort...why do such irresponsible TRASH own dogs in the first place? We don't know the history of the dog, or this stupid woman for that matter...

-------------------------

As for charges of not vaccinating the dog for rabies being irresponsible or not...I wonder how they determine that...supposedly, dogs are to be vaccinated for rabies yearly..which I think is pathetic and actually very unhealthy for the dog..rabies vaccines last for 3-4 years within the system...so for example...would I get charged if someone called the police on me and they checked my files and noticed that my dog hasn't been vaccinated for three years? Even though its been scienfically proven that its unnecessary? See that's another load of bull..but anyways...
Old 01-31-2006, 03:57 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
Well, consider the mother is in her early 20's, just got picked up on warrants, you can imagine the training the dog had- none. Another thug with a dog for a status symbol unfortunately. There is a byline on that web site that says they put the dog down today. I HATE seeing this stuff happen. I wish there was a way to ban irresponsible people from owning dogs.
It would start with breeders selling puppies to reputable and responsible people. Too many breeders just sell their puppies to just anyone who pays.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Happy

It's interesting what the SPCA director said - thousands of dog bites go unreported every year because they involve family or friends of the dog's owners. I wonder why the SPCA and other animal agencies (rescue, shelters, etc.) don't do some work there with publicizing the fact that dog bites deserve to be reported. I've tried reporting dog bites to the police, animal control or SPCA - their reaction is "did anyone die?" All the funding to promote neutering is great, but can't a little go toward encouraging people (including officials) to act responsibly about dangerous dogs?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:23 PM
Twin 2.0

Because you know the human race is great at justification. And really, does one bite mean the dog is actually 'dangerous?" Think of all the stimulii you just listed...does reactive = dangerous/vicious?