Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Puppy Dog

Arrow Pups won't obey anyone but me.....

My 2 pups' training is coming along fine -- I now have them sitting on command, lying down, going outside, etc. But when my husband or anyone else for that matter tries to get one of them to do a command they won't respond. They barely acknowledge the other person is even there, but if I give the command then they do it. What's up with that?
Old 01-31-2006, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

The others need to spend more time training with them. She obviously views you as the boss...but not them. Have them spend 5-10 minutes a day with food and having her perform the commands.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:42 PM

I agree. my dogs used to never listen to my husband. it was his fault because he didn't follow my rules, yet I hated having to step in to settle them down. (they'd get all goofey the minute he walked in the door..jumping..etc. sure they were happy, but....) I finally made him follow thru saying exactly what I say...took awhile, but things are so much better.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:31 PM
Top Dog

the same thing happened to me when i moved back in with my family yosh won't listen to anyone else. now she's starting to listen to my brother since i've had him take her out while i was at work and feed her once in a while. i even had him take her for a walk a couple times and help me with her training each day.
Old 02-01-2006, 04:54 PM
bullie lover

Having your family help in feeding them or walking them with you will do wonders. Having them give commmands and make the dogs work for them as they do for you will also help with these issues. Make sure your family members are following all the rules regarding the dogs - no deviance will help.

My Mojo still does not always listen to my boyfriend Neil, but has been better since Neil has fed, and walked him a few times. It has also helped Neil to use the same words *I* use with Mojo... Such as saying "Off." when he wants Mojo off the couch. He used to say "Down" which Mojo took as settle in and get comfy since that's the command for lying down in my speak. Actually it's especially been easier for Neil when he not only uses my words, but copies my pronunciation and tone when I give commands.

Old 02-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Puppy Dog

Solid advice guys, thanks! . Y'all pegged it exactly -- when my husband comes home they immediately get goofey, jumpy, etc. Looks like I'll have to start training my husband too!! lol