Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-30-2006, 07:27 PM
Good Boy!

Unhappy Our New Pup (which may get taken away!)

Hello, I'm new to the forums.

Here's a picture of our Pomeranian X pup. We named him Rodger!

Rodger has been seperated from his pack for three days and he suffers from seperation anxiety at night. He howls very loudly. Our apartment council has threatened to take him away. We have no idea what to do.

Does anybody have any solutions to our problem?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

Keep the pup in your room. Where does he sleep?
Old 01-30-2006, 07:50 PM
Good Boy!

Right now, Rodger sleeps in his kennel on the back balcony. It's comfortable and he does go to sleep, but when he wakes up during the night, he'll howl until we comfort him.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:53 PM
bullie lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL
Right now, Rodger sleeps in his kennel on the back balcony. It's comfortable and he does go to sleep, but when he wakes up during the night, he'll howl until we comfort him.
Personally, I'd take his crate inside and put it next to your bed. That way when he, as a young pup, wakes up he will be able to smell and hear you near by. Also, if he needs anything from you, you will be able to know right away and tend to him. That should keep him from howling...

Also, if this back balcony is exposed to the elements, he as a small dog/puppy shouldn't be outside anyway at night. To me that just seems cruel... but that's just my opinion.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:17 PM
Good Boy!

^ Thanks! Your dog is SO adorable hehe

I agree that we should bring his crate inside. However we'd really like him to get use to sleeping alone eventually. I was thinking that we put his crate in the laundry and let him get use to sleeping alone inside, and when he's older, we'll let him sleep outside.

We're still so confused
Old 01-30-2006, 08:23 PM
Top Dog

I don't think it's a good idea for a companionship dog to sleep alone on a balcony, adult or not. Why do you want him to sleep outside anyway? The laundry room is a good idea, he will still cry for a few days though.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:11 PM
Top Dog

Insight with you please.!!! He looks like he's only about 6 weeks old ... I may be wrong as I don't know Poms. I'm in favor of the one on one with new pups... a " den " close to new owners. He misses his Mommy, he misses his siblings .... You can't just bring a puppy home and expect a dog ! Only you at this point knows the breeding, the breeder, the socialization.!! After 1 day of " howling " I would have stepped in rather than the council ! I hate to be harsh, but were you ready to take on a dog.??

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by bubbatd; 01-30-2006 at 09:13 PM. Reason: sp
Old 01-30-2006, 09:29 PM
Top Dog

I also think you should bring the puppy inside. Let him sleep in his crate in your room. He's not even comfortable at your house yet. Worry about him sleeping alone once he's settled in and a bit older. At this age, he probably needs to potty a few times during the night. Having him close will also let you know when he needs to.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:33 PM
RedyreRottweilers

Put the puppy beside your bed to sleep. Think of what he has just gone through! No more mom. No more Breeder. No more brother and sisters. New home. New people. and then he's put all alone, which he likely has NEVER been all alone, out on a balcony to try to go to sleep in a crate.

I'd screech too!

Put him inside by your bed. Do not console him for crying when he's by your bed. Correct him. AH AH. QUIET. When he's quiet, softly say GOOOOOD puppy, good quiet. Dangle your hand so he can sniff your fingers for comfort if he needs to.

Within a week or 10 days, he will be used to you, his new home, and his lack of littermates. Then you can move his crate out of your room if you wish, but dogs ALWAYS want to sleep near the rest of their "pack".
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
Top Dog

Brian.. you are a new member, and I don't want to put you down,,,,nor have any others do it. I do agree with what ever " container " you have him in should be beside your bed. A quiet stroke and a shhhhhhh should do it. Unless of course you know he has to go potty. Please let us know how old he is .... this makes a big difference ... also how he was trained before you got him.Personally , I would call an outide dog ever !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/