Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Best time to neuter?

I'm wondering about the pros and cons of doing it early, or waiting. My vet said she wouldn't do it before my dog (3 mo beagle) was six months old so if I wanted to get it done sooner, I'd have to go elsewhere.

There is virtually no chance of him getting to a female dog, so I don't feel that I need to rush on that account. I don't want to wait so long that he picks up more aggressive tendencies though. So, is there any good reason to try and get him fixed before he's six months of age? What are the risks/benefits of doing it sooner, or waiting until he's six months or older?
Old 01-30-2006, 03:08 PM
Beagle Bailey

Hello Keller.

Well, Bailey is just over 4 months now, and I had planned to get him fixed this month, but I believe because of finances and my schedule I am going to wait a month or so. So far I haven't discovered any crazy aggressive behaviors from him, but we'll see how it goes for the next month or so.

But, to really address your question, my vet had no problem doing it now at this age, so maybe it's just a preference of your vet. I can't imagine any damage being done by waiting until he is 6 months to have it done. Maybe some other members will provide a more logical/medical reason.

[
Old 01-30-2006, 03:49 PM
Top Dog

6 months is just fine. It's also the best time to do it according to my vet. Boris was neutered at 6 months, but Tips at 5 because it was in his adoption contract, although the vet would have rather waited until 6 months.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:03 PM
Top Dog

I think you'd be much more comfortable going with your vet's recommendation. If you trust him, this way if any problems arise , he can't throw it back in your face.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-30-2006, 07:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Thanks everyone. I know that 6 months used to be standard, but I've heard that there are benefits to getting it done a bit earlier or later. Since my puppy is all ready having a bit of an issue behaviorally, I don't want to take any chances.

I always try to do research when it comes to things like this because I know people who have had hits and misses in the past with this particular vet* . At this point, I go there, because she has the only office in the area, but try to be as informed as possible. Which is a good idea no matter who the vet is, of course.

*of course, she's only human and can't catch everything.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 AM
Top Dog

What problems are you having with him? 6 months is the earliest here that a vet will neuter, but be warned that neutering wont stop any behaviour problems
Old 01-31-2006, 10:55 AM
Puppy Dog

He's very nippy to the point of drawing blood. I talked to the vet about it, and she said it sounds like he's got a domininant temperment. She told me some things to try, and some people here gave me some ideas, so he's making improvements, but slowly. I've read that neutering can stop a dog from wanting to challenge other animals. Since he all ready has issues with people, I don't want to compound it by allowing him to get to the point that he wants to fight other dogs all the time if possible. I know that some wrestling, and little spats will be normal though.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:26 PM
rottiegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by keller
He's very nippy to the point of drawing blood. I talked to the vet about it, and she said it sounds like he's got a domininant temperment. She told me some things to try, and some people here gave me some ideas, so he's making improvements, but slowly. I've read that neutering can stop a dog from wanting to challenge other animals. Since he all ready has issues with people, I don't want to compound it by allowing him to get to the point that he wants to fight other dogs all the time if possible. I know that some wrestling, and little spats will be normal though.
Well, you should get him neutered ASAP. His dominant behaviour could be hormone-triggered . When he is neutered his testosterone level is lowered. Just my opinion.
Old 01-31-2006, 04:34 PM
Twin 2.0

Find yourself a good trainer while you're waiting for the six month mark. Habits established prior to neutering aren't going to magically disappear. It sounds more like he may not have learned much, if any, bite inhibition. What do you do when he nips you that hard?

Who needs sleep?

CrazyDog Photography CrazyDog on Facebook
Scent Sweet Home--Scentsy Wickless Candles Follow me!-Fall/Winter 2013 catalogs available!
Have Aussie, Will Travel--A Blog updated 5/26/12

Thanks Alliemackie!
Old 01-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Puppy Dog

When he bites hard, he's removed from the area for a timeout. We also tried holding his muzzle, but he'd bite again after he was let go. We also do exercises before the problem occurs to teach him submissive behavior. Such as feeding him by hand, NILF, and praise for playing without nipping. We've come a long way, and I don't expect his problems to dissapear with a surgery. I've read that lots of dogs never become animal aggressive if they're neutered. If he's one of them, then that's one less issue that we have to work on, and I'll be grateful for that.