Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-17-2012, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
I was thinking this too. That situation isn't something anyone should wish anyone to be in. But it's old news. It's from back in 2010 and just NOW he is talking about it. I DO think that is weird timing especially since he has that new show coming out.

Honestly I've always thought he really cares about dogs. I've always wondered if maybe he does know there is a better way to train dogs but he's just got such an ego problem and is so deep with his training methods that he's afraid to come out and say 'hey... I was wrong here's a better way!'.

If he ever changed his training ways I'd probably watch some of his stuff. I like how he DOES seem to care about the dogs and seems like a decent guy. A lot of training stuff I've watched I always get the vibe of 'ok this is how to train subject #43847593' and I don't get that from him.
I do agree. It seems like he really truly does LOVE the dogs so it's so hard for me to understand some of his choices. I mean, it's not like watching Brad Pattinson for god's sake ... who clearly doesn't even like dogs or people. Like I seriously don't even understand how people can watch him and say "Yeah! That looks right!" whereas Cesar, I can see the appeal -- I once was one who thought he was amazing. I do not agree at all with his training methods and lack a lot of respect for the harm he has done, but he also seems like a decent guy who really does love dogs.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-17-2012, 11:37 PM
Obey the Toad.

To be fair, suicide attempts are not just something many people talk about publicly the week after it happened. Yes it's been 2 years, but it's certainly a painful and for many people shameful thing to discuss.

Yeah, it could be all for publicity, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:35 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
To be fair, suicide attempts are not just something many people talk about publicly the week after it happened. Yes it's been 2 years, but it's certainly a painful and for many people shameful thing to discuss.

Yeah, it could be all for publicity, but I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt.
Also, I'm not sure how that could benefit his reputation in a good way. Suicide isn't exactly something to be proud of.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwnedByBCs View Post
I've certainly met some "positive" trainers who only have only extended that courtesy to their dogs, and were vicious people. Now, I've met some very mean traditional trainers as well, but anyways I don't think that's the point here.
No, not the point. There are some gawd awful people out there period. Iíve left some R+ groups because it was nothing but a bitch fest, but frankly the counter group is no better. Sadly, anytime you get people in to a group based on ďweíre not *them*Ē you get ugliness.
By the same token, there are lovely people out there too - regardless of training methods.
I guess what Iím trying to say is that I donít judge the person by the methods they use to train their dog.

As for CM... Gosh... Iím trying *really* hard to be compassionate here. I canít even imagine what kind of pressure someone with his kind of celebrity must be under. However...

He has always struck me as a misogynist. Just seemingly innocuous things he says and the implication behind them. Iíve read 3 of his books and again, got the same icky feeling off those. The skeptic in me canít help but wonder if his suicide ďattemptĒ was a power play. A manipulation of sorts to get his wife back.
It is not an unusual tactic for a narcissistic man who was left (she did the leaving, not him).

**Putting attempt in quotes - it in no way is meant to belittle anyone in pain who is thinking about ending it. It is because if his plan was to manipulate his wife, he never intended to actually kill himself, just make it look that way.

Obviously, this is 100% speculation on my part, I have no idea what goes through his mind. Whatever is going through is mind though, I hope he finds peace.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-19-2012, 05:53 AM
Top Dog

Oh my gee! A lot of dog owners here in chazhound may not agree with his training methods but a suicide attempt would still be very sad.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:11 PM
SBT Lover!!

I feel very badly that he was that low. I honestly believe that he is a good person, who just didn't know he was doing wrong and now doesn't want to admit he was wrong. The things that I don't appreciate about this are:

A: When he said Junior was hi SD, he got him "certified" by one of those fake online certifications where you pay $150 and they send you a vest and a certificate saying your dog is a SD, no questions asked. Made him seem like he was "faking it," which makes people with real SDs look bad.

B: He claims to have healed himself using "pack theory." I think that could make people with depression think that they can heal themselves rather than seek help.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:24 PM
Felurian

The thing that gets lost when the D word comes up is that not all depression is clinical -- some of it is circumstantial -- situational -- and working through the situations, fixing what you can and consigning the rest to history and lessons learned IS the "cure."

Sometimes depression is a natural, rational, sane reaction to too much sh1t.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
ó Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-19-2012, 12:41 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Actually he bought a registry online, that is all. That is not the downfall of SDs, we always encourage registering a self trained SD because you cannot certify them the same way and not everyone needs/has resources for an organization SD.

Also I agree with Renee, sometimes depression is "fixable" than manageable. I actually find it refreshing to see that argument.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM
SBT Lover!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Actually he bought a registry online, that is all. That is not the downfall of SDs, we always encourage registering a self trained SD because you cannot certify them the same way and not everyone needs/has resources for an organization SD.
But you don't have to certify SDs. There is no requirement to do so in the ADA and businesses/housing/etc. can't require it according to the ADA. I am self training my SD, but I have no plan of giving money to one of the "certification" scams. I have a harness and may buy one of those tags, but even that is not required. Too many people don't know that and think they have to certify their SD and end up giving money to these companies thinking that "certification" will protect them, when it might not do so!
Old 11-19-2012, 12:51 PM
PSD Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The thing that gets lost when the D word comes up is that not all depression is clinical -- some of it is circumstantial -- situational -- and working through the situations, fixing what you can and consigning the rest to history and lessons learned IS the "cure."

Sometimes depression is a natural, rational, sane reaction to too much sh1t.
Very well said.