Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Pictures and Pet Photos

Old 11-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Top Dog

LOVE EVERYTHING. You guys and your dogs are all amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
So I was thinking, because some of us don't always get the whole trick completed in one week, I think every 4 or 6 weeks we should do little "progress reports" or something, where we video all of the tricks we've worked on since the beginning to show how far they have come since that week was over. Maybe?
I know this is from forever ago but I like this idea a lot. This is essentially how we did it in Mu's tricks class - we added a trick every week or two but worked on all of them until the end. It worked great.

I am way behind because I haven't had access to my dogs for almost a week. We will be playing catch up as soon as I can. Tipper and Murph already have left spins so I'll either work on spinning right, or on the cue since I don't think either of them are very reliable. Lol.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-19-2012, 12:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I decided to just try and shape a left spin (I say left, it's my left, not his. I'm more important, lol) since he has a really good right spin, but I couldn't even lure a left spin with him. He just doesn't go that way!

I don't have high hopes, but here is our start.

http://youtu.be/XCb2CjPgUqw

Also, you can see that he is more stressy, heavy breathing, etc. in this than the other videos I posted. Shaping seems to be stressful for him, I just never noticed it before because he was stressed all the time anyway! So I use a higher rate of reinforcement than I normally would, and when I can tell that he is getting more frustrated I tend to just reinforce everything, whether it is what I want or not, just to keep his head in the game.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I decided to just try and shape a left spin (I say left, it's my left, not his. I'm more important, lol) since he has a really good right spin, but I couldn't even lure a left spin with him. He just doesn't go that way!

I had to. Really I did.

(Also, you can't deny that Frodo is really really ridiculously good looking.)

Old 11-19-2012, 12:40 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post

I had to. Really I did.

(Also, you can't deny that Frodo is really really ridiculously good looking.)

OMG that is so Frodo! His whole left side is just useless. Even with teaching him to shake I was able to shape his right paw super fast, and then spent like a week trying to get him to realize that he had ANOTHER ONE! Finally I just picked it up, clicked. Picked it up, clicked. And then it was like *lightbulb* holy crap I HAVE TWO!!

And I think he's quite handsome as well, even if he isn't really to standard and a bit on the chubby side

Old 11-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
And I think he's quite handsome as well, even if he isn't really to standard and a bit on the chubby side
Uh, him and Tipper have a lot in common. Just sayin.

Now that I've actually watched the video, I think it would help the Fro-dog understand what he's doing if you change your reward placement. When he actually does a head turn you can reward him where his head should be, out to your left. If he just steps out to the left you can throw the treat to your right and then after he runs out to get it and turns his head/body coming back you can click the head turn and then reward in the turn position. If that makes any sense whatsoever. It'll make it easier to up your reinforcement rate.

Actually I think it was Sara's video of Zing that had the reward placement I'm thinking of - Tipper really didn't know wtf I was doing until I started rewarding with her head turned. It's super awkward at first but it really helps.

Old 11-19-2012, 01:02 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

LMAO oh God. Frodo's not an ambiturner...

If it makes you feel any better I tried luring this with Pepper and she won't lure unless I actually put a hand under her belly and hold her front half still. As far as I can tell, she thinks my arm moving towards the back of her is a trick, and she freaks out and starts running around - not in a circle, just all over the place. Sigh. X_X

ETA: I agree about the treat placement thing! Can't do it with Pepper (see above) so I've just been throwing the treats behind her and to the left, that's as good as I can get with her right now. I'm hoping that will serve the same purpose and encourage her to turn more to that side.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-19-2012, 01:06 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Thanks Taq, I am terrible at remembering to reward in place. Terrible!

Yay for videos and suggestions. He is so getting way more food than normal today because I want to try this NOW!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:16 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Thanks Taq, I am terrible at remembering to reward in place. Terrible!
It's one of the first things I look at because it made such a ginormous difference in how fast shaping goes for us. It is really hard to remember until you get used to it though!

Old 11-19-2012, 01:39 PM
Top Dog

Oh man everyone's dogs look so great!!! The paps are cracking me up bigtime! And Kimma has totally got it! Super cute!
Sad/glad to see T is getting a forever home... you need your own GSD.

So this morning was the first I had a chance to work on spin. Scout was very confused, lol. But we started shaping it and she's doing good! She's getting better duration/balance on her sit pretty too!

Lily's got this spin thing like a boss following my finger as a target. So will just have to work on adding cues an fading the finger target. Of course when I got out the camera it all went to pot and she was like I have no idea what I'm doing!! Lol, so uploading that, but I may not show it because I'm pretty sure its awful. And I missed marking and rewarding her offering spin at the begining of it, doh! We did some mroe after the video fail and she did really good!
Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
LMAO oh God. Frodo's not an ambiturner...

If it makes you feel any better I tried luring this with Pepper and she won't lure unless I actually put a hand under her belly and hold her front half still. As far as I can tell, she thinks my arm moving towards the back of her is a trick, and she freaks out and starts running around - not in a circle, just all over the place. Sigh. X_X

ETA: I agree about the treat placement thing! Can't do it with Pepper (see above) so I've just been throwing the treats behind her and to the left, that's as good as I can get with her right now. I'm hoping that will serve the same purpose and encourage her to turn more to that side.
HAHA, oh Pepper!

Frodo's like "I'll just side step all the way across the room, that's what you wanted, right??!"