Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 08-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Active Pup

Default Odd dog barking behavior - can't find anything to help!

So my dog (male Black lab/pit bull mix) who is about 4 years old has always been a bit of a barker, so I bought him a spray collar a few years ago and it works great for those times when he wants to bark at the moon at 10PM when he goes out to pee.

The problem I have encountered though is that when he is outside with my girlfriends dog (male golden retriever). If it is just them outside together, he doesn't bark at all. But as soon as myself or my girlfriend go outside, my dog instantly starts barking at the golden and chasing him around. It used to not be this way, but it has gotten so bad now that the barking spray collar doesn't help and we can't even enjoy time out in the yard with them together.

Does anyone have any idea on how to tone this down? I searched the internet but found nothing like it so i figured I would stop by here and ask.

Thanks everyone.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:55 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Is he barking in play?

I ask, because Abrams and Cynder can be out in the yard for hours without actually doing anything. But as soon as one of us steps out, Abrams gets excited and starts trying to entice Cynder to play by chasing her, barking at her, and in general being annoying.

Regardless, my advice: leash the barking dog when you go outside. Work on some training exercises. Get his attention focused on other, more constructive things. Take him for a walk. Tire him out. THEN still see if he barks.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~