How often is too often? Bathing Wire Coated Dog

Hi everyone. My Petite Basset Griffon Vendeen (PBGV) has started to get stinky from frolicking in fields during our walks. I bathed her about two weeks ago and have heard that you shouldn't bathe rough/wire coated dogs very often. She's only 6 months so she has a bit of softer puppy hair still. How often is too often to bathe wire/rough coated dogs? What shampoo would you all recommend?

emc

Use a gentle shampoo for dogs and bathe her whenever it looks or smells like she needs a bath. Nowadays there's all sorts of pet shampoos so the amount of bathing isn't that much of an issue anymore.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I have a wire coat in a beef and Hound and I bathe him probably every other week or so. I use a gentle oatmeal shampoo and have no problems. his coat actually looks and feels really healthy.

Eta: I meant Ibizan Hound. **** autocorrect!

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
I have a wire coat in a beef and Hound and I bathe him probably every other week or so. I use a gentle oatmeal shampoo and have no problems. his coat actually looks and feels really healthy.

Eta: I meant Ibizan Hound. **** autocorrect!
OMG. :rofl1: That's awesome. I was looking at that for a minute going ...wait... what? Then realized you must have autocorrect on LOL.

HayleyMarie

Like a bat outa' hell
I bath Teagan only when she is visibly dirty or stinky, so she gets a bath probably never in the winter and every month or so in the summer. I use Vegan human shampoo that is very gentle and I rinse it all out.

yoko

OMG. :rofl1: That's awesome. I was looking at that for a minute going ...wait... what? Then realized you must have autocorrect on LOL.
XD I thought it was some crazy new dog sport I hadn't heard of before.

spiffy

A PBGV can be bathed as needed but ideally this grooming routine must not be done very often. Bathing removes the natural oil of the skin thus it would be necessary to use a rich in protein but extra gentle shampoo.

milos_mommy

It's generally considered safe to bathe/groom dogs more often in the past, because for one, the shampoos used these days are much less harsh, plus dogs spend so much time inside, on furniture, etc...it's unreasonable to wash them every 6 months and be clean enough to tolerate.

Just make sure you're using an appropriate shampoo, and bathing him every 2 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

Dekka

Just try me..
If you are going to be showing.. then yes.. as minimally as possible. If not.. bathe when dirty or stinky.

A good wire coat is like its been scotch guarded. Dekka is never dirty.. or at least not after she dries (at least one movie she has been in they have tried to make her dirty.. not as easy as it seems, even smearing mud on her.. after its dry it fall off) They do get dingy after a while. And they do smell. I bathe far more often for smell than for looking dirty...

I use Chris Christensen shampoo, and they have a specific one for wiry/rough coats.
I will certainly look for something like this. Thanks!

Dekka- Tara still has a lot of puppy hair so her coat isn't as rough as the breed standard wants yet. She's not dirty looking at all, she just is smelling....a little un-fresh LOL. Not super bad like a neglected lab but not as delicious as I usually find her. Normally she smells perfect! I'll bath her at the end of the week (or middle) and then again two weeks later- after we get off the plane. (good side note: Tara and I are Flying home from Germany 2December!!!!! I miss the USA)

If you use a dog shampoo, especially one for gentle skin, the bathing isn't really an issue. Just give her a quick bath whenever she smells/feels oily or dirty. (Or before, if you want to!) Once you get the feel of how often that is, you could make a schedule so you don't forget - like a bath every month/2 months/6 months/etc.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
I already responded to this, but wanted to add that the biggest reason I bathe my wire coat dog more often is because he has a LOT of white on him and the white tends to look dull and dingy after about a week. He plays at the park a lot and gets gross and he plays at my work which is an indoor dog play area. The dogs all pee/poop in there and we run the mop through, but I still prefer him to be bathed after he has been playing at my work. I love how bright his white is after a good bath.

Thank you everyone for the great advice and words of wisdom. Tara and I have been in Florida now for six months or so. She's become super fond of the dog parks. I tried to get her excited about the beach but she just gets irritable. We have discovered that I can safely bathe her after each of our weekly park visits. The only catch is I have to brush her soooo carefully otherwise she gets matted. =(

DGCO

So much depends on whether the dog is inside or mostly outside and of course his nutrition. Some wire coated dogs take a long time to dry, so with ours, we have tended to wait until his whites look grubby and/or until we have noticed his doggy odor (which fortunately is not that often).

Members online

No members online now.