Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I avoid talking with people IRL.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 11-14-2012, 01:52 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

No I use it as an opportunity to spread the fact that dominance/DW way it thinking is a bunch of bunk.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
All the time. Unless I know they are deeply involved in dog geekery like I am, honestly, I don't want to scare them off. Not only that, but I'm kind of sick of giving away free training advice in general. I feel that people don't take it seriously unless they are actually paying for it and that I'm just wasting my breath. I avoid telling people that I'm a dog trainer for that very reason.
I am to this point, but I am not a dog trainer. Kinda would like to be, but working with the owners is the thing holding me back in seeking out getting certified honestly.

I get a little overexhuberant and I think my excitement about stuff I've learned comes out wrong and owing recycled dogs I'm a little jaded and cynical about the average pet owner... so thats not a great combo. I think it might be a good idea for me to read some books on how to work with the people side of people looking at training and couple that with just keeping my mouth shut most of the time.

I got called the 'dog nazi' to my face by the people who were second in line screwing poor Scout up right before I took her. Uh yeah because I'm so uptight with my dogs... riiiiiight. How dare I give them a predictable schedule and do fun stuff with them!
Those people go through so many dogs and ruin every single one. Its so sad. They shouldn't ask my opinion if they don't want it. I'm just done. Next time they ask I'll just recommend finding a trainer they like or buying a good book.

I'm way too sensitive, I shouldn't let that particular family get to me.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

I generally avoid talking to people, anywhere.

The lack of drive to educate themselves drive me crazy. I don't understand how people have conversations with each other.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:22 PM
and Spy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenSins View Post
If you want to avoid being depressed and frustrated...stop looking at Reddit. Posting there with the intention of actually educating anyone is a lesson in masochism.
Lol I know. I don't know why I keep getting dragged back in... I find that site more frustrating than anything and that's not just regarding dog stuff. There is a lot of sexist crap on there and it gets me down sometimes. I just need to have the self control to quit looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:40 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

I avoid it like the devil. Even at work, I don't even give training advice to daycare clients unless they directly ask - and I mean directly, lol. And outside of work I nod and smile, or just plain pretend I don't hear. I also get a lot of, "Oh my dog, she does THIS and THAT!" (they stare at me expectantly and I just smile) "Well have you ever heard of that?" and then I simply say, "Yup, a fear of men is pretty common in timid dogs," or whatever. Sorry, receptionist at the chiropractor's office. LOL Or I'll recommend a book, or tell them to find a local trainer.

I also refuse to dole out free advice to people who call about booking training, but then just stay on the phone and pump me with questions. No, that is not free, sorry. I'll give them examples of my methods and what I would do for that particular dog, but I have to keep it very limited or people just take advantage of you. I remember being on the phone for like 20 minutes and finally just monotonously repeating, "Well if you'd like to sign up for a group class or some lessons we'd love to help you with that."

Some people are just tire-kickers when it comes to training.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:45 PM
such sights to show you

Aside from work and dog classes, I really have no reason to discuss dogs with anyone IRL. And definitely very little desire to. So I suppose my answer is "yes."

Old 11-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Top Dog

I tend not to discuss dogs in real life at all unless I'm with someone just as dog obsessed as I am, but even then I don't get into it too much. And with people I don't know well enough, or with friends or family I don't feel like getting in a disagreement with, it's not worth my time or frustration generally. As long as people love their dogs and try, I'm happy. If they ask me a question directly I'll give them the best advice I can in as short a way as possible (because most people don't want to listen for too long when it comes to dogs it seems).

Thinking about it, I tend not to talk dogs online either anymore. Just on dog boards (Chaz, another all breed board & a Doberman board), and even then I don't get involved in training debates or anything, and rarely give advice, just because I know others will say what I want to say more eloquently anyway. I prefer to listen (or read rather I guess!).

I've also learned that seemingly the worst place to talk dogs (for me) is Facebook. Rumors travel fast. So now I avoid talking dogs with pretty much everyone except for a select few.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

unless i'm talking dogs with the people I train with or somebody asks me specifically for advice or an opinion, I generally stay out of everyone's conversations
Old 11-14-2012, 04:10 PM
orange iguanas.

I don't say anything unless specifically asked.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013