Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-29-2006, 03:32 AM
Top Dog

I think Hunter was like 50 bucks from the HS
Old 01-29-2006, 03:48 AM
Top Dog

yosh was 35 ^_^
Old 01-29-2006, 09:21 AM
Top Dog

Also, EliN ...he was neutered/chipped and had shots....

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2006, 09:41 AM
Naturally Natural

personally, i wouldnt put much faith in a breeder with a 10 year guarantee - its simply something they cannot enforce. look closely at their guarantee - it states in most places if the dog isnt (something -- sweet, long lived, healthy, etc) - you get a replacement pup.

if your dog has a poor temperament, poor health, etc - do you want it replaced from the same breeder that gave you the LAST bad animal?

in addition, to get the replacement you need to give BACk the other dog - do you think after having a dog for 3-4 years (or longer), if something goes wrong you want to give it away for a new one?

if you dont do what she wants in terms of vaccines, other preventative care, kenneling, and feeding she can void the agreement.

seems to me its a paper that sounds good at first glance, and then later has a lot of loopholes and stuff you dont want to deal with.

personally, id want more health testing, more titling, more proof of being structurally correct. no one can guarantee me that a dog will live 10 years - but you can do your best to make sure they are healthy and what the breed SHOULD be.

ARCHX Bowie's Semper Fidelis v DRU, VC CDX ASCA-CDX CDX-H RE RL1X RL2X RL3 ATT WAC TT CGC FFX-OG

Beja's Bombs Away v Bowie, CD ASCA-CD CD-H BN RN NA RL1 WAC ATT YTT PTT CGC

Bowie's Here Comes the Boom!

http://otchrah.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2006, 01:01 PM
DrackettCase Cockers

How does "health testing, titling and more proof of being structurally correct" guarantee that a dog will remain "healthy and what the breed SHOULD be"?

Health testing is a good start, but inherited defects can happen later in life.

Titling (I assume this means winning awards) has no bearing on health as breeding to a standard can introduce health problems. Not many breeders will breed from a dog that doesn't look like the "breed standard" - Why would someone go to a breeder for an Alsatian (for example) and buy a genetically deficient puppy that looked more like a collie?

How many breeders actually promote temperament and ***8220;what the breed SHOULD be***8221;? Owners need to be made aware of the general character of a breed before making a decision, but many breeders are only too willing to sell a puppy to anyone with the right amount of money in their pocket.

Breeders have an obligation (to another breathing life form if nothing else) to ensure that prospective owners know what they are letting themselves in for.

IMHO: There are no bad dogs - Only bad owners.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrackettCase

IMHO: There are no bad dogs - Only bad owners.
I disagree. Bad breeders that breed dogs will temper issues can easily make 'bad dogs', or at least dogs that are extremely hard to train.
Old 01-29-2006, 01:58 PM
DrackettCase Cockers

Good point Fran27. Breeders have a huge responsibility.
As we try really hard to find the right family for our pups, I suppose my comment was too generalised. Maybe I should have said, "There are no bad dogs - Only bad humans".

Last edited by DrackettCase; 01-29-2006 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
BlackDog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saje
Mav was $150 from the SPCA but he's not pure just purefect
"Not pure, just perfect"

That's a really good way to put it.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:55 PM
Island dweller

I had a clever moment
Old 01-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Top Dog

Theres no way, if I owned a dog for either six of ten years, that ended up having a problem would I return it to the breeder for a replacement, this contract IMO is playing on your loyalties to your dog, and chances of anyone actually taking them up on this contract is virtually non existant. I would be happier seeing a contract that tells me the lines have all had the relevant healthchecks and are clear of any hereditory problems, that they will take back a dog if required, and that I can keep in contact with after buying the dog for any support required,

Mo