Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Default Seeing a cardiologist today

Im a wee bit nervous (aka anxiety-ridden), as I'm seeing a cardiologist at 1:30 today.

Back in late September, I had a weird thing happen. It was approx. 11:00 pm, and I was sitting on the couch reading, when all of a sudden I felt this onset of intense pressure and a feeling of numbness in the left side of my face and neck and shoulder. The best I can describe it is like when you have a severe upper respiratory issue, and you only feel and hear yourself, and everything else sounds so distant. However, I didn't have any pain in my head or neck, but just the feeling of pressure and numbness (actually felt like left side of face was paralyzed, but it wasn't). At the same time, I had chest pressure and got extremely short of breath. I began hyperventilating. I was scared out of my mind. By thankfully, the episode passed within minutes, and although I was shaken up, I was otherwise ok. Because hubby had to leave for work at 3, I decided not to wake him up.

Fast forward almost 2 weeks, and I had a similar episode at around 10 pm. This time, I would've sworn I was having a stroke, as my entire left side went numb and I just felt this weird pressure. But this time my heart was racing (about 140 bpm), and I was so short of breath I could barely breathe. I felt so dizzy, lightheaded, and nauseous as well. I actually threw up in the kitchen. I was beyond panicked, as was my husband. This episode lasted about 20 minutes, but I was too stubborn (& too afraid) to let him take me to the ER. I honestly thought I was having a heart attack or stroke, but I was also afraid that was just my panic and anxiety talking. So I just took an aspirin and a Zofran and went to bed.

However, the next morning I woke up, and I still had the feeling of numbness and pressure in the left side of my head, neck, and arm, so I drove myself to the ER. The doc there just smiled and diagnosed it as an atypical migraine, which I had never heard of. I get migraines, but they are not even close to what I experienced at this time. The doc said, that basically, an atypical migraine can cause neurologic issues, which accounts for the numbness, pressure, dizziness, and nausea. He then blamed my anxiety for the rapid heartrate, chest pain, and shortness of breath.

I left upset, as I just didn't feel that those diagnoses were right, but who was I to disagree?...

Well, since then, I've had sudden onset of rapid resting heartrate (the other night it fluctuated between 127 and 135 bpm) and heart palpitations. I've had this recurring feeling of pressure in the left side of my neck, and you can actually see my pulse at the left carotid (it's freaky).

Because of all that, I made an appointment with a cardiologist. I go today at 1:30. And I admit: I'm kind of nervous. -_-
Old 11-13-2012, 10:23 AM
The Littlest Hound

Good luck - I hope they can give you some answers. ERs can be so incredibly frustrating :/

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CCH 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage CA

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:54 AM
Felurian

(((((HUGS))))) and hoping for a simple, easily fixable explanation.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Will be thinking of you. ~~~~~vibes~~~~~~~~ for a simple non evasive answer that puts your mind at ease.

Glad your getting it checked out.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 PM
Top Dog

How very frightening. I hope the cardiologist finds that it is indeed anxiety related and not something more serious. I bet there will be some kind of medication to help. I'm glad you're going in now. These are not the kind of symptoms to mess around waiting with. Lots of vibes headed your way that everything will be okay. (((hugs)))
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

I hate doctors because they are oftentimes arrogant & don't listen ... Hey just because I don't have a medical degree doesn't mean I don't know my own darn body you know? Which is why I don't go to the doctor unless I am feeling like you do & afraid there is something terribly wrong with me.

I didn't even go to the hospital when I go kicked in the shoulder

Old 11-13-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Hopefully just anxiety(even though that's awful all on its own!). Maybe they will stick you to a monitor for a while.

Any new meds recently? A friend just started a new weight loss drug and she described rapid heart beat and fluttering.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM
Top Dog

No new meds. I actually stopped taking my Wellbutrin and Buspar back in August because my bloop pressure was high. Seeing as how I had low/normal BP before taking it, and since one of the listed know side effects was high BP, I attributed it to the meds and stopped taking them.

I'm in a room waiting to see the doc. This is the worst part of a doctor visit IMO.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:16 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Good luck...

I hope you get some answers. That way you can get better instead of having to worry and be scared...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Top Dog

I hope it's nothing bad. A few years ago I had a similar thing happen to me, but it just turned out to be anxiety attacks.

It's scary, whatever it is!