Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2012, 04:19 AM
Let it be

Default Does your dog stink?

Everyone always comments on how non stinky Bandit is and I'm wondering... WHERE ARE ALL THESE SMELLY DOGS? Are they o nly stinky because they eat like poop or are there normal, well fed dogs with bad BO?
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 AM
Top Dog

The mastiffs were always oily and definitely had an smell to them, no matter the bath, food, or environment.

Zander doesn't stink. Ever. I've caught more than a few friends with their heads buried in Zander's ruff ooohing and aaaahing a "OMG HE SMELLS SSOOOO GOOOOD". Muted vanilla, apparently. Like a candle. WTF, I'm not complaining.

He smells doggy when he's wet, though. I think that's normal.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:39 AM
Let it be

Oh yeah Bandit gets the doggy wet smell but very mild for a big wet hairy beast. People are always awwwing about how lovely he smells. What do I bathe him with and how often? They are horrified to find out shampoo hasnt touched him in 5 years.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:29 AM
I'm All Ears

If Mia gets a little bit too long between baths she gets a very slight doggy smell. You have to bury your nose in her fur though to smell it. But Mia's a little bit stinky.

The worst dog I have ever smelled was a husky. It absolutely reeked. Looked perfectly clean but once it was within 5 or so feet it reeked. It was awful. Maybe it had rolled in something and the owner never washed it? I'm not sure.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:34 AM
Resident fainting goat

Lol Never. One of my many genetic quirks I got from my mother.. very very smell sensitive. I can't stand even a slight doggy smell, as a result dogs are professionally groomed at least once a month.

Smelliest dogs around the city are always SOME goldens. Don't know what it is... we have a few well groomed well fed goldens that smell fine.. but I think it's the bad diet or to few baths, I have met a few that REEK!
Like oil/smell all over your hands, smell it from 5 feet away REEK

In general..it takes a crappy diet and not enough grooming. Not even necessarily baths but brushing out all that dead undercoat to let the oil naturally work it's way through

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:38 AM
Top Dog

Murphy never stinks. Ever. Actually, his coat holds in the woodsmoke smell - from woodburning stoves? I love it when he comes in from the back yard in winter. He gets snorgled. He does get washed and blown out about twice a year to get some of his undercoat out. Mu and Tipper get a little blech if they go more than...I dunno three months? I don't wash anyone in the summer because they get dusty again almost immediately. But the girls get washed 3-4 times a year I guess.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 11-13-2012, 07:48 AM
Owned by Belgians

Cheap food makes dogs stink.

When I first got Doerak he smelled terrible, and had a lot of problems associated with poor nutrition. I went raw on his 3rd day with me and there was an amazing transformation. His coat was more shiny, his dandruff disappeared, the tarter on his teeth was gone, and his gums and feet stopped bleeding. Yeah, he was a mess and to think I paid $3,000 for him. I was a sucker for a pretty face.

My current dogs eat high quality kibble with meat thrown in the bowl. Currently, beef stew meat. They don't stink.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Owned by Belgians

I hate when I pet somebody else's dog and feel like I immediately need to wash my hands.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:13 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I don't think my dogs really stink. They get bathed every other week or so though since Cricket and Joey play a lot with other dogs at my work and sometimes step in pee or what have you before we have a chance to get the mop in the play area to clean up.... ***cough***Joey***cough***

Bamm gets bathed every 2-3 weeks or so mainly to help keep the shedding down a little. He used to shed so bad, but ever since I started bathing him a little more often I've noticed wayyyyy less extra Bamm hair all over the place.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 AM
Top Dog

Buzz smells. Regardless of diet, regular brushing, regular bathing... you can tell when it's bath time. It should be every two weeks but now that I don't have access to super nice facilities anymore, it's far less often.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years