Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Sport Model Pug

I've been told Izzie smells like a cabbage patch doll. Whatever that means lol. I've never smelled one.

Generally she smells good though, I don't wash her much. The only Tim she gets a little stinky is if her wrinkle gets dirty, like in the winter when we play in the riding arena.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 11-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Ho ho ho off.

I did reply to this, but Chaz is being weird.

Fred STINKS. He pees on himself ALL. THE. TIME. He is the only dog I regularly bathe. He makes his bedding smell so I regularly wash that too!!!

Bodhi does not smell, and never has baths

I think it's a boy thang..... dirty stinking boys.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 11-13-2012, 07:39 AM
Top Dog

Nope, Jackson definitely doesn't. But I do bathe him every 10 days or so and he eats a good food, etc.

Our Golden Retriever growing up smelled soooo bad. Poor thing, we never bathed her (probably once every 2 years or less lol) and she ate a crappy diet, no exercise, etc. But you'd pet her and then have to wash your hands afterwards -- I can't STAND that. The two Goldens I dogsit for now are awesome ... they never have that 'dog smell' and really don't even seem to shed a lot for Goldens. I am pretty sure the owners get them professionally groomed occasionally and they are also fed a good diet.

Brit & Jackson

Old 11-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

Amber, the lab I watch, usually gets a bath the minute she steps in my house. She's always smelly!
ARCH URO1 UCD Buzz NAC NCC S-NJC O-TN-N TG-N WV-N RL2 RLVX RN ThD CGC
Old 11-13-2012, 07:43 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Webster can be a little smelly. Boy dog thing. But he feels like satin when he gets a bath and so a couple extra baths for him is no trouble *snuggles soft satin doggie*

The girls don't smell unless it's environmental. Kim loves to roll in things between dead and gone and there have been many instances where I told her either she get herself in the lake and swim some of it off or I am not taking her home in my car. Gross dog

They do get bathed well about once a month, though, simply because I am slightly allergic to dogs and bathing them that frequently seems to knock the dander and such down enough that I'm not bothered.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Monster Monkey, b. Dec'13
Old 11-13-2012, 08:00 AM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Violet smells right now. She needs a bath badly. She has been outside a LOT over the past couple months with the nice cool weather. It's pretty easy to make sure she isn't getting into something or trying to escape because the back of the house has tons of windows and our door is glass. Sometimes she can spend all day outside only coming in once or twice, and she'll come in, check everybody out, and sit at the door to go back out. She gets stinky cause she gets wet from either the dew, or whatever plus she just lays out in the grass all day. She's pretty gross at the moment and will go get groomed when I feel like she's far enough out of heat. (Maybe her having been in heat was a factor in how she smells as well).

Chloe doesn't really get stinky unless she's been outside for longer than normal and it's hot out. Then she gets a doggy smell but it doesn't smell bad really. Not like Violet does. But Chloe rarely gets baths anymore so she could probably use one soon anyway.

ETA: Just wanted to specify that Violet is not being let outside unsupervised since she is in heat. She is kept under close watch at this time.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)

Last edited by ~Dixie's_Mom~; 11-13-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Behavior Nerd

In general, my crew doesn't smell doggy unless they are wet or have rolled in ick. BUT when the girls are in heat they do have a musky smell.

IME, the smelly dogs are most often labs or goldens, especially if they are on a grain heavy food. They are also the most likely to have a coat that leaves your hands oily/smelly after petting.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

The Chihuahuas don't have a doggie smell to them naturally. If I stick my nose in their fur, there's no scent. Jose` does need a bath more often than Chuli because he gets pee on the back of his front legs sometimes when he goes. It's weird. If he arcs his body a little bit away from the leg that is up, it doesn't get on him. But if he stands straight or tucks a little, it's awful. lol. So, he might get rinsed off on his legs but not every time he goes. So, as a result, he can get a stale smell. The minute I start smelling that, he gets a bath because I can't stand it. Both dogs breath tend to be not too good, even if their teeth are cleaned.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-13-2012, 09:53 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Keeva definitely doesn't. I LOVE her coat, it's impossibly self-cleaning and all weather. She also eats an excellent diet and gets bathed/blown out every 4-6 wks. TBH though that's only to cut down on shedding, I don't think she would ever really smell.

Macky... buh. She's like covered in old cotton balls, and yeah, she gets sort of... musty. She also holds smell from anything she gets into (lakes, ponds, mud). So yeah, she's getting groomed on Friday and the bath will be much needed. She too eats an excellent diet, and her hair is not greasy, nor is she full of dandruff, but she does start to smell sort of... old. LOL

Old 11-13-2012, 10:05 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

The Finkies just don't smell. They never get baths. Unless they roll in something really gross or have a show coming up. But that's one of the reasons I went with that breed, TBH. I hate doggy smells. When we were listing our house in TX, the real estate agent said she would have never known we even had dogs if it wasn't for the fact that she could see them LOL. And we had all 3 at the time.

T also doesn't smell too bad, but he definitely has a dog smell to him. So I bathe him once a month and wash the blankets in his crate once a week. I also brush him out very frequently.

Loistava's Jari - 14 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)