Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Skye is...Skye. Every time I'm like aw just stick with Skye, maybe if you worked really hard she would learn to love sports..and then I go and work with her and it's just.. no. It's like trying to train a llama.
The llama thing is awesome and I totally get that. It just fits my parent's defective guard llama to a t! She will not stay with the sheep. Ever.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

This thread basically sums up the raging internal debate I've been dealing with this past year

Want:

- um, PUPPY?!?

- Puppy will grow up into a (hopefully) awesome adult dog.

- I'd really like to apply the knowledge I've gained over the last 3 - 4 years about what I really want in a dog and about the breed and raising puppies in general.

- I love dogs, pure and simple.

- I have a lot of time on my hands, and though I am still financially dependent, my family is on board with the idea.

- There are some fantastic litters I have been watching and admiring.

- All these Chaz puppies are not helping. At all.

- It's a good time, and Trent is at a good age (almost 4).

- um, PUPPY?!???!???

- I am enjoying my relationship with Trent so much and can't wait to build that with another dog.

Do Not Want:

- I am enjoying my relationship with Trent so much, that I am worried a second dog will take a little away from that.

- I have a Trent. He's perfect for me and there is nothing I am looking for in a dog, or looking to do with one, that he cannot do/become, to be honest.

- Trent is very much an only child. He doesn't like to share and doesn't especially enjoy the company of another dog.

- Added expenses. Food, vet care, boarding, etc. We take vacations every summer, and there are always one or two weeks where we are going to a place that is not dog friendly.

- The amount of effort it will take. I am okay with taking more time to own a second dog, but I feel like two dogs is a big jump from one.
~ If I go hiking or to the beach, that is one more dog to watch and manage. Two off leash dogs is harder to watch than one!
~ If I go on a grocery run, that two dogs to fit in a small car, or I have to decide which to take along for the ride.
~ If I go to Petsmart or Home Depot, which dog do I take? What about my morning coffee runs (and a bagel/cream cheese for the dog)? That's me and Trent time!

- Regardless of what I have learned in the last 3 - 4 short years, I have a lot more to continue to learn and think about before I'm comfortable enough to believe that I can make educated decisions. This is a big one for me... the more I am learning right now, the more I want to continue to learn and experience before I go into choosing and raising a second dog.

- Again, I have only ever had Trent, and thus, a grand total of one dog in my life. I don't know what it is to like to have anything else and I'm worried about our relationship taking a hit from getting a second dog.

This is why my puppy plans have been pushed back another two years
Old 11-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Reasons I has wanting:
-I have access to more free food from work each month than I can shovel into Frodo (obviously this is the MAIN reason I want another dog! )
-I want a dog to do stuff with who enjoys training and doing stuff! (this is legitimately the #1 reason)
-Frodo turns 7 in less than two months, I feel like the older he gets the harder it is going to be to add another dog to the household. I still want to be able to take both dogs on hikes and such for a couple years at least.

Reasons I hesitate:
-I'm scared the dog will seem all awesome and then turn into Frodo #2!
-I don't have enough money to clone Zuma.
-The initial period of acclimation is going to blow so **** hard.

And let me just say that dog number two will be a DOG! If this was about why I didn't want to add a PUPPY then the list would be way way longer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
Don't Want:
Our condo has a two-pet limit.
I have no more money to throw at classes/trials/food/toys.
I already have one very active, time consuming young dog in training.
I have no more time to train/play.
Meg would either kill me in my sleep or run away from home.
Please point her in the direction of Minnesota

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:23 PM
orange iguanas.

Do Want:
-I like dogs.
-Juno is a complete social wimp, I miss having a dog that I can take places worry-free.
-I want a snuggly dog! Lucy belongs to my mom. And Juno does not accept my love unless it is in the form of food or wrestling.

Do Not Want:
-I am poor
-I want a puppy but know that right now I have no desire to actually train a puppy
-My house is full of neurotic animals that take up enough of my time

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-14-2012, 05:51 AM
Top Dog

Don't want another dog RIGHT NOW! Already have four and the racket my babies make every time I open the door at the end of the day practically brings the house down.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:49 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
Want:
I didn't get my solid Koolie and I drool whenever I see one.
Oh... Make sure it is a boy.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Show Dog

Reasons We Want:

- We'd like a dog that's more suited to our lifestyle and energy level.
- We will always have a dog, a rescue, because we have the time, energy, and money to care for one properly.
- When we have the space (only allowed 3 dogs in the city) we'll adopt another because we really, really, love dogs.

Reasons We Don't Want:

- Gosh, we're not getting any younger and I'd hesitate to get a dog that just may outlive us. Not that it's future care would be a problem, but I wouldn't want it to be sad. Yeah, I'm a little weird thinking like that.
- The "There but by the Grace of God go I" syndrome. Right now we have two special needs and one Derp (special needs only in his mind). What if something were to happen that we couldn't afford the medical care? Three dogs, it's a heck of a responsibility really.
- What if we adopt a dog with a fairly high energy level (we camp and hike) and my arthritis flares up or some other medical condition (back to the "getting older" thing) and we're not able to give the dog the exercise he/she needs?
- Finally, and the only thing that really gives me pause when considering adopting another, emotionally I'm not sure I'm equipped to keep losing my guys. I've lost three so far, and each and every time I felt like my heart was being ripped out. The thought of eventually losing the three we have kills me.

So far, because I'm a bit anal about details, we have contingency plans for every one of the "cons", except that last one. Frankly, I've been accused of over-thinking things sometimes.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:51 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Reason I Want:
- Puppy. Puppy puppy puppy puppy puppy.
- Ever since Blackie passed away, I haven't had "my" dog and I really miss that bond.
- Every time I see a puppy I melt into a little ball of motherly hormones and want to take it home with me.
- I want to go through puppy hood again. I want to be able to raise and train and socialize the way I want to. I want to watch a little squishy puppy grow into a dog.
- Perfect time. I'm low income, but I can afford another dog. I work full time, but after December that will basically be my only thing that will take up my time during the day. I'm not married, I don't have children, and if Mike enlists I'm going to need something to focus on during that time frame and having "my" dog will be a huge help to me.
- Reiterating again how much I miss having "my" dog. I miss having a dog that enjoys working with me and loves to learn new things. I miss having a dog that views me as his person. I miss having a dog that I can take places and do things with. I miss having a dog I can play ball and tug with, and wrestle with. I miss having a dog that barks when someone is at the door. I miss having a dog I can go on walks with. I just...need my dog. Life isn't the same without one.

Reasons I can't have now:
- Mike's wishes. He is under a boat load of stress and dealing with a puppy doing puppy things could quite possibly be his breaking point at this point in time. So puppy needs to wait as close to May as possible.

Old 11-14-2012, 11:01 AM
Top Dog

WANT:
puppy. Do I need to say more?
I miss having a pit bull/bigger dog in general
Milo's a huge jerk and I want a nice dog
Milo's getting older, and it would be nice to have a puppy (younger dog) around
I want my baby to grow up with an AWESOME family dog, not a little sedated devil who wants to eat him
I'd like a dog to do sports with
So many need homes

DO NOT WANT
I'm having a baby. I've got enough on my plate.
Money - I could probably afford another dog, but don't want the added stress
Milo's a dick
Milo's getting older, and I wouldn't want to stress him by adding another dog
I don't want to crate and rotate any more than I already do, especially with a baby in the mix
I wouldn't have time to participate in all the things I want to with a new dog right now
My family who I live with doesn't want another dog

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-14-2012, 02:24 PM
Top Dog

Want:
Its so fun seeing the individual strengths and weakenesses when we train, like how one thing is really easy for one and super hard for the other. And vice versa of course. Thats one thing I really love about training multiple dogs at once.