Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 11-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Default Senior food

What do you prefer? I need to pull the pit bulls off this great life kibble, it's too fatty for them but I'm not sure what to put them on.

For starters at my new job I can get ToTW, Acana, Canidae, solid gold, and Evangers at cost. I was going to do Fromm senior but I figured I'd ask about these first.

I need something without such high calories, they're gaining weight on way too little food and my guilty conscience hates feeding less than 1 cup per meal.

None of the formulas at work are seniors, except the canidae senior & overweight, but I could probably ask for that to be ordered.

Suggestions? I need grain free (which these are).
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:28 AM
Top Dog

I'd try Acana Pacifica. I really like the Champion foods though! Its actually what Hobie and LoLa eat a lot.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

The Canidae Platinum is one of the lowest calorie foods out there, at least that we carry, but it isn't grain free.

If it was me I would probably rotate through the Acana Regionals line.

Difference between Canidae Platinum and the Acana lines is going to be roughly 90 calories per cup.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
What do you prefer? I need to pull the pit bulls off this great life kibble, it's too fatty for them but I'm not sure what to put them on.

For starters at my new job I can get ToTW, Acana, Canidae, solid gold, and Evangers at cost. I was going to do Fromm senior but I figured I'd ask about these first.

I need something without such high calories, they're gaining weight on way too little food and my guilty conscience hates feeding less than 1 cup per meal.

None of the formulas at work are seniors, except the canidae senior & overweight, but I could probably ask for that to be ordered.

Suggestions? I need grain free (which these are).
*dog food nerd hat on*

Taste of the Wild is a fairly moderate-calorie food - between 338 and 375 kcals/cup depending on which formula you go with.

Acana is at 425 to 460 kcals/cup depending on the formula.

The Canidae Pure formulas (the grain free ones) are super high in calories - 475 to 500 kcals/cup. The Platinum that you mentioned is only 330 kcals/cup but it's not grain-free - it contains brown rice, white rice, and rice bran.

The grain-free Solid Gold formulas are 350 kcals/cup (Sun Dancer) and 465 kcals/cup (Barking at the Moon).

Evangers has two grain-free formulas, the Meat Lover's Medley (sounds like a pizza) at 387 kcals/cup, and the chicken at 414 kcals/cup.

I love love love Fromm, but only their four-star line has grain-free formulas (the senior is not grain free), and they range from 400 to 425 kcals/cup.

Honestly, brand-wise, I would choose Acana or Fromm, hands down, but they might be too high in calories. My second choice would be the Solid Gold Sun Dancer.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:32 PM
Top Dog

I really like Acana Pacifica. It was good stuff! I did feed Lily less Acana than I did Evo though... and Acana is less cals. For some reason she gained easily on Acana. Eh, it may just be my dog is weird.

I really like the look of Fromm. I think if I were in your position I'd try Fromm or Acana.

Isn't the Go Now! Endurance formula pretty moderate fat/cals and all life stages? Maybe that would be a good grain free to try with them.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I have used the Go or Now? Senior large kibbles for treats and enjoyed the results.

Outside of these brands do you guys have another recommendation? I don't have to stick to these, it was just an idea since these may be cheaper.

Old 11-12-2012, 02:55 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

I really like Earthborn foods, the dogs have been on it for a few months and have done quite well. Depending on which flavor you get, the size of kibble varies from teeny, medium, and large.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:05 PM
such sights to show you

I am not a fan of senior diets in general. If I had a senior who gained weight easily I would probably feed Wellness Core Reduced Fat. It's expensive, though.

ETA: And it's not through your feeding program... reading comprehension fail.

Last edited by sassafras; 11-12-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeys23 View Post
I really like Acana Pacifica. It was good stuff! I did feed Lily less Acana than I did Evo though... and Acana is less cals. For some reason she gained easily on Acana. Eh, it may just be my dog is weird.
We are actually having this problem too. Zander is high energy, 70lbs, 27''....big dog that I usually have a HORRIBLE time trying to keep weight on. He's only getting a total of 1 cup of Acana per day, some days less. He gets fat otherwise. And I do mean very fat. Very fast. His nickname is Sausage Dog. Acana, for what it is, is pretty dense. For some reason, the calories per cup just doesn't translate the way you think it might.

I know Earthborn is a hit or miss with most dogs. The biggest issue is itchies, though, so nothing too horribly wrong with it.

Fromm has good food, small kibbles though. Since you have bigger dogs they might inhale more than they eat. It's also pretty high in calories, but I didn't have nearly as much of an issue on it as I am with Pacifica. I fed closer to 3 cups a day to Zander, and he was still a bit ribby. I fed the Surf n' Turf and Salmon grain-free.

Now and GO! have really awesome reviews. I haven't heard anything bad about them. I haven't tried them, though, because they all have poultry and Zander is a no-processed-poultry dog.

If I think of anything else, I'll come back and drop a few more brands. It's been a while since I looked at a Senior food.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I am not a fan of senior diets in general. If I had a senior who gained weight easily I would probably feed Wellness Core Reduced Fat. It's expensive, though.

ETA: And it's not through your feeding program... reading comprehension fail.
It doesn't have to be these brands or a senior food they were just a starting point, it just has to be a lower cal that allows me to feed enough and not have old fatties.