Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 01-27-2006, 10:46 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Default I need the ultimate...

...housetraining advice.
I have an almost 5 month old American Staff Pit and she's great. We adopted her and have had for about a month now.
We got the schedule alright, she's fine with a crate and still she has accidents all the time.
And I mean not the type of understandable-"it-happens" accidents. I will walk her for a while...let her sniff...walk her some more...until she pees a bit. But when we come back in she squats down somewhere after 5 minutes and pees.
Also, believe me, I looked for everything...studied her for hours and days, but she does not give me one little clue when she has to go. Well, sometimes she will cry when she needs to go and sometimes she doesn't. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks...
Julia
Old 01-27-2006, 11:04 PM
Rusty but Trusty

I can tell you how I housebreak my dogs. I would allow my dogs ten minutes of play time (supervised) in the house (also make sure you set the timer) and after the ten minutes was up they were crated for twenty (set the timer agian). After the twenty minutes of being crated they went outside and went potty and then big praise and a treat for going potty outside. After they went potty outside they came inside and I set the timer again for ten minutes and then started the process all over again. After your puppy gets the hang of this routine you can raise the amount of time the puppy can stay out and play in the house by five minutes (I found that after three or four days I could try raising the time that they got to play out of their crates by five minutes). My dogs never alerted me to when they had to go out either though, so it was all just guessing for me. That is how I housebroke my dogs and usually after a month I could safely leave them out of their crates for an hour without having to worry about them peeing or whatever all over the house.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:01 AM
Top Dog

You can try leashing your dog to you at all times. Take her out every 45 minutes to an hour in addition to right after she eats and after every play session. Never take your eyes off of her. If you can't watch her, into the crate she goes. As soon as you catch her going (because you will, because she's leashed to you and you're not taking your eyes off of her) take her immediately outside and pop a treat in her mouth the second she goes. "Good girl, etc, etc."

Clean up all accidents right when they happen. Soak your carpet in Nature's Miracle and let it dry on the spot. It works really well. Your house won't smell like a kennel with that stuff. It's awesome.

Once you get a little more comfortable that she's developing good habits, let her off the leash, but not out of the room you're in. Don't give her the full run of your house until you're positive she's reliable. Still keep an eye on her at all times.

Of course, this is my opinion Worked for us.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:05 AM
Top Dog

here's what i did:
when i first got yoshi she wasn't trained at all. so every two hours i would take her out and right after she ate i would take her out. when we went out i'd say go potty. i'd wait for her to poop and pee before taking her inside. if she went pee and didn't poop (she usually poops 8-10 hours after eating) then i'd take her inside and sit down for about ten minutes. after that i'd take her out and tell her to go potty again. if she still didn't i'd get her to follow me to the area she usually pooped. and i'd stand there until she went to the bathroom. as i'd had her longer i'd spread it to every three hours to every four hours. now she's got it down. also right before taking her out i'd say 'yoshi you have to go out?' and then i'd take her outside. now whenever i ask her if she needs to go she'll go tothe door and if not she'll just lay there
Old 01-28-2006, 07:24 PM
Magic, motherf@%$*#!

Hey y'all,

thank you for the great tips...i will try them one after the other

Julia