Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
<------ CLAIM! ^_^
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,581
Default

Than by that definatition no one would be "American" because a majority of folks immigrated from other countries (mine came over from Poland on my fathers side & Germany on my moms fathers side. My grandmother is full Cherokee )

IMHO no moving to "X" country from "Y" country & having kids there doesn't make you from "Y" country
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I was going to comment on that, too, but decided to just leave it. Yeah, I'm sure having the other high school kids omit you from their "club" for being white was just as traumatizing for all those kids who couldn't walk down the street at night for fear of being arrested, or worse, shot by a police officer
um yeah, because when you're a white kid at a predominantly latino or black school staffed by predominantly black & latino teachers and admin, the worst that happens is that they tell you you can't join the chess club.
you clearly haven't been a white minority kid and had to fight against 3 or 5 ****** kids at least once a week and then have the ****** teacher & principle threaten to expell you while letting the ****** kids walk w/o so much as reprimand. if it wasn't for the mexican kids becoming my friends & backing me up, i don't know that i would have survived those couple of years. so you can take your ignorant BS comment and shove it.
it's no coincidence that the most violent & ENDURING skinhead groups are in cities w/ LARGE "minority" populations.
i fortunately had the benefit of the Marine Corps to show me what it's like when color doesn't matter. it allowed me to mostly let go of the experiences of my childhood. but it also taught me that racism is racism no matter who does it and it ALWAYS leads to more than just hurt feelings. i also know that blaming one group for another groups failures only creates hostility in those that are blamed.

Last edited by eddieq; 11-11-2012 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Swear filter not doing it's job
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:21 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
um yeah, because when you're a white kid at a predominantly latino or black school staffed by predominantly black & latino teachers and admin, the worst that happens is that they tell you you can't join the chess club.
you clearly haven't been a white minority kid and had to fight against 3 or 5 ****** kids at least once a week and then have the ****** teacher & principle threaten to expell you while letting the ****** kids walk w/o so much as reprimand. if it wasn't for the mexican kids becoming my friends & backing me up, i don't know that i would have survived those couple of years. so you can take your ignorant BS comment and shove it.
it's no coincidence that the most violent & ENDURING skinhead groups are in cities w/ LARGE "minority" populations.
i fortunately had the benefit of the Marine Corps to show me what it's like when color doesn't matter. it allowed me to mostly let go of the experiences of my childhood. but it also taught me that racism is racism no matter who does it and it ALWAYS leads to more than just hurt feelings. i also know that blaming one group for another groups failures only creates hostility in those that are blamed.
Oh, I have absolutely seen horrible race crimes committed against white people,

but the example that Zoe posted in this thread was that her best friend wouldn't let her hang out with her anymore because she wasn't Mexican. That's not a race crime, that's high school.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com

Last edited by eddieq; 11-11-2012 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Swear filter not doing it's job
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I call myself Metis, which I am in my moms side. My papa aka grandpa grew up in a very metis culture. On my dads side is Cree, Iroquois, and Scottish, my dad is a status Indian. My great, great grandmother Victoria Calahoo is a pretty famous Indian Woman in Alberta, you can even google her. I get teased a lot about having a Native American heritage by friends. I was called Whindian aka white Indian a lot in school by friends as a joke, it really does not bother me, unless people are being outright malicious and then I stand up for myself.

People kinnda give me a weird look when I talk about my heritage as I don't really look the native American part, other than my dark hair and olive completion, my brother on the other hand looks the part, he was even born with brown eyes like most Indian babies.


it's funny how different you look. you remind of a Lakota kid & his sister i used to know. their dad was all lakota from pine ridge & their mom was mostly white. they were both about 5/8 lakota & he was a little darker w/ the dark hair & eyes but his sister was white w/ slightly curly medium brown hair & brown eyes. they had some features where you could see they were related. but if they weren't standing next to each other you'd never guess.
ETA: a really funny thing was that he had the anglo name & she had a native first name.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:26 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Recently I realized just how privileged I am to be a white person. I went to vote on Tuesday, and I had two registration cards--one in my maiden name, and one in my married name. I handed the lady my married card, and she said I didn't exist in the system. I handed her the maiden name, and she found me and just smiled, congratulated me on my marriage (which was uh, 4.5 years ago) and sent me on my way.

Had I been a middle eastern male or a Spanish speaker with limited English, I am fairly certain they would not have been as cheerful sorting out the issue.
Wow, that's a fairly nasty and broad assumption for you to make about an election worker...
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Wow, that's a fairly nasty and broad assumption for you to make about an election worker...
Why is that nasty? There's a chance whatever worked would have been just as happy to help, but plenty of studies out there prove the probability is that they just wouldn't.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Pops2 Pops2 is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: UT
Posts: 3,072
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Oh, I have absolutely seen horrible race crimes committed against white people,

but the example that Zoe posted in this thread was that her best friend wouldn't let her hang out with her anymore because she wasn't Mexican. That's not a race crime, that's high school.
i've been on the receiving end of racial violence & i still think that very term shouldn't even exist outside of a war crimes trial for genocide.
And I'M SORRY for the shove it thing. i get really angry at the tendancy to down play racism & racial violence by minorities. it's not acceptable no matter who does it or why.
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:42 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
I can say there are still a lot of people around here who identify as Italian-American, Irish-American, etc even though there families have been here for generations. I don't know why people get all bothered by how someone else labels themselves or identifies themselves. America is still a young country and full of many different people from many backgrounds. If some want to hold on to it longer or use a label to hold a piece of their heritage so what?
Yeah, I really don't care what people call themselves in relation to their ancestry. I consider myself American but if I had to choose I would identify with Switzerland the most, as there is a town there that is the same was my maiden name and I still have at least one very distant relative that lives there.

Personally I think that treating ANYONE badly because of their race, ethnicity, or religion, regardless of the reasoning behind it, is hateful and disgusting. Modern socialogy might deny the existence of "reverse racism" but discriminating against someone because they are white is STILL hateful behavior, and hate is something that eats away at the human condition like a cancer--regardless of the race, ethnicity, orientation, or faith or the hater or hatee.
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:44 PM
milos_mommy's Avatar
milos_mommy milos_mommy is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 14,572
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Personally I think that treating ANYONE badly because of their race, ethnicity, or religion, regardless of the reasoning behind it, is hateful and disgusting. Modern socialogy might deny the existence of "reverse racism" but discriminating against someone because they are white is STILL hateful behavior, and hate is something that eats away at the human condition like a cancer--regardless of the race, ethnicity, orientation, or faith or the hater or hatee.
I don't think modern sociology denies reverse racism, they just try to acknowledge what the root causes of it are.
__________________
"My favorite color is green, green like newly cut grass. When it comes to green with envy, though, you can stick it up your @ss!" ~ Grammy



http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 11-11-2012, 02:45 PM
sillysally's Avatar
sillysally sillysally is offline
Obey the Toad.
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: A hole in the bottom of the sea.
Posts: 5,016
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
Why is that nasty? There's a chance whatever worked would have been just as happy to help, but plenty of studies out there prove the probability is that they just wouldn't.
I think it's nasty to assume that someone who was completely pleasent and gave no indication of being racist would be simply because they exist. How is that NOT nasty?
__________________

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~




Labs do it in the lake.


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site