Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-11-2012, 08:42 AM
Mutts to you

Yeah, we have a salesperson at work who cannot write a coherent set of instructions. She really does try to be specific as to what she wants, but words are misspelled enough that one is left guessing what the word is supposed to be, sentences are fragmented or just make no sense, so anyone receiving one of her orders has to call her to have her explain her instructions. It does get frustrating.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I’m not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I like good spelling and grammar. Honestly though, it bothers me waaaaaaay more when I see snotty people correcting someone's mistake or making fun of them. Seriously? Unless you are their teacher, or there is a legitimate reason you need to speak up, or perhaps they ask, it's obnoxious. In my mind, that is just another form of bullying *shrugs*

I always LOVE it when an asshat corrects someone while making a grammar mistake of their own, LOL Right here on chaz I've seen people say "Learn some grammer"

I know my homophones, but sometimes typing along I'll type the wrong one. I don't have spell check on this browser, I've won spelling bees but I still sometimes make a mistake. *shrugs* Life goes on. At work I felt differently, I was getting paid to make sure everything was in order, so I did.

I will say I agree with the article. When going through applications or deciding on job candidates, you must have a filter....that one is just as good as any.
This.

Now . . . I sometimes tease Coop about her homophones because I know they bug her

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I like good spelling and grammar. Honestly though, it bothers me waaaaaaay more when I see snotty people correcting someone's mistake or making fun of them. Seriously? Unless you are their teacher, or there is a legitimate reason you need to speak up, or perhaps they ask, it's obnoxious. In my mind, that is just another form of bullying *shrugs*

I always LOVE it when an asshat corrects someone while making a grammar mistake of their own, LOL Right here on chaz I've seen people say "Learn some grammer"

I know my homophones, but sometimes typing along I'll type the wrong one. I don't have spell check on this browser, I've won spelling bees but I still sometimes make a mistake. *shrugs* Life goes on. At work I felt differently, I was getting paid to make sure everything was in order, so I did.

I will say I agree with the article. When going through applications or deciding on job candidates, you must have a filter....that one is just as good as any.
I agree with this.

Also, I feel like if the job doesn't require grammar skills, then I shouldn't be too hard on them. For example: If they use the wrong "your" or "you're" sometimes, that's not going to make me think they shouldn't have the job... Now if they type like "ey boi I be gewd at dis job" well then.... Yeah. Lol.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 11-11-2012, 03:34 PM
Obey the Toad.

The incorrect use of "seen" bugs me--as in, "I seen the dog get out." No, you SAW the dog get out. People do that ALL THE TIME around here. Then there is "alot" and "a lot." I've had people argue with me that "alot" is the correct term a few times.

I don't expect people to be perfect at work, especially since I don't work in a job that requires good grammar and spelling. Also, I'm a pretty bad speller and have to constantly keep an eye on myself, so I try to cut others slack.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
The incorrect use of "seen" bugs me--as in, "I seen the dog get out." No, you SAW the dog get out. People do that ALL THE TIME around here.
Mine is “broke” and “wrote”.
“We have to ride in this car, that one is broke.” No, the truck is “broken”.
“I got wrote up at work.” No, you got “written” up.

But then I am amazingly good at screwing up it’s and its, but at least when I speak, you can’t tell I don’t know my it’s from my its
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Felurian

I want to know what happened to "who?" I see "that" used so often in its place.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
and Spy.

No one is perfect and the occasional misspelling or mistake or awkward sentence is totally understandable and not a big deal (in terms of forums, I'm not talking about work). It's the people that talk like this:

i know hwo to spell i just cant be bothered to do it properly lol. this is so annoying to reaad especially when it goes on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and with no paragraphs or anything lol who needs paragraphs those ar stupid lol...... but ya no i never use pargraphs and its cool cus i like to hurt ppls eyes!!

Yeah, that's my big pet peeve

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:28 PM
Obey the Toad.

There was a forum I used to frequent where one poster uses no capitalization and no punctuation other than "..."

so every post was like this...she never used paragraphs either...i finally stopped reading her posts altogether...it was so annoying just reading it ticked me off...it annoys me just writing like this...

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 11-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Disclaimer:

I am often posting from my phone so if you see a lot of words that should be spelled correctly but have odd little mistakes in them it is because I don't see that I have mistyped it. I am staring at my little keypad and focused on hitting the right keys with my fat fingers lol

I often go back te next day and read a post I made and am like OMG really? Lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 11-11-2012, 05:41 PM
Felurian

Phone posting . . . add in autocorrect . . . who knows what you'll get, lol?

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian