Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Another grammar snob here.
~Suzanne Clothier
Old 11-10-2012, 08:41 PM
and Spy.

I am going to be honest, sometimes on Chaz when I see a post with no punctuation and spelling errors I skip right over it. It's more difficult to read and I can't be bothered piecing it together. It always seems to be the same people too lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:43 PM
Felurian

I wonder if a good deal of the backlash toward lazy grammar -- and there's a difference between honestly not knowing, issues like dyslexia, etc. and the annoying, "can't be bothered" aberrations -- hasn't come from all the text and street speak that some don't have sense enough to realize or too arrogant to accept does NOT wash in the working world.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 11-10-2012, 08:54 PM
Top Dog

I wish we had that stipulation at the vet clinic. It's very sad when someone can't spell "says" or "cause" properly, let alone some of the medical terms we use regularly. This not only applies to writing, but also to speaking - hearing "That's legit!" every two minutes is REALLY annoying.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

I used to be proud of my grammar and spelling. I do know it but when typing on forums, texts, etc I am usually doing something else at the same time, talking to the kids, messing with the dogs, what have you, and I just make a lot of really simple mistakes that I KNOW, I just dont give enough attention to.

Like I just texted my cousin and wrote here instead of hear...holy crap, how did I mess that one up? Well, I was thinking of each word instead of the whole sentence and I use "here" much more often. Gah, so annoying when I do that.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I used to be proud of my grammar and spelling. I do know it but when typing on forums, texts, etc I am usually doing something else at the same time, talking to the kids, messing with the dogs, what have you, and I just make a lot of really simple mistakes that I KNOW, I just dont give enough attention to.
On forums, I'm way more lax. I know I make errors - usually typos - and I don't proofread my posts. But when I really write for classes or what have you, I spell check, grammar check, and then read it multiple times (spell check is NOT useful when your paper has a lot of taxonomy in it!).

The other day I was writing either here or some other online place and I wrote "your" instead of "you're." I felt like I should have shot myself on the spot Fortunately, my time to edit the post had not yet passed, so I was able to fix it
Old 11-10-2012, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

I am much more conscious of my grammar in a professional setting than I am on an online forum or messaging someone. I have a particular fondness for the ... when writing casually. I can't bring myself to use outright abbreviations (like u) and I know the difference between "their, they're, there". On texts though I have to go through a menu to get to the apostrophe so I usually don't use one.

I think it depends on the workplace and the quality of the person you are looking to hire. Of course you can't be sending emails to the big shots in the state or something with bad grammar, but in simpler jobs..I don't see where it is terribly wrong if someone great has a little trouble with grammar or spelling. I work with someone that is a terrible speller but she goes out of her way to ask the correct spelling or copy it if necessary.

Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I have a particular fondness for the ... when writing casually.
Oh yes, me too. And starting sentences with conjunctions.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:13 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I have a particular fondness for the ... when writing casually. .
My favorite
Old 11-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

I am also quite fond of the ... while online

Most of the time I am posting from my phone and I am just too lazy to bother switching keypad screens for punctuation lol

I also post the way I would speak. The ... Would Be a dramatic or exaggerated pause lol captials would be a word I would make a point to emphasize when I am talking lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney