Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I hate leaving with only one dog. I feel so guilty because then one just stays crated and the other goes to have fun. So, I almost always take both of them, which isn't fair either because both still need individual time. If I had three or four, I don't think I would feel as bad about leaving dogs behind since they aren't alone. Especially since the pup will be going to work with me.

It will be interesting in the next year to two years if we add a pup. They will be fairly close in age. Harlow will be 3 or 4. I honestly have no idea how old Rider is... I think he is older than what the rescue guesstimated. But, I don't think having two dogs in classes is overwhelming, especially since I don't trail. If I do trial, it will be in herding and the Koolie or ACD won't even be old enough for that for a few years past puppyhood.

For those of you who have "husband dogs" does it work ok? I kind of see it as a separate, you train this dog for said sport, I train this dog(s) for said sport. We both pitch in for feeding/taking potty/family events and stuff.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 11-12-2012, 09:03 AM
Top Dog

Pshh you guys are all suckers, I don't feel bad about leaving one dog home alone If you only had one dog they'd be left home alone anyway when you went to non-dog places.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2012, 09:05 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Eh, Ozzy is a "husband" dog, but DH doesn't really have any interest in dog training at all. Like, I'm sure Ozzy would run amok in the neighborhood if he'd gotten him as a bachelor. He'd be a holy terror I think, and I think DH wouldn't really know what to do about it.

He still feeds everyone/lets everyone out, ect, but he doesn't really take anyone else anywhere, and if he does, it's only Enzo, and he's taking two of them, which is always Ozzy+1.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:06 AM
Top Dog

For those of you who have 3 or 4 + and say it's hard, especially with sporting weekends, events, and dedicating time like that...do you think it's easier if you're not active in dog sports? If you just need to worry about training, exercise, care...and you're not worried about entry fees and equipment and traveling with four dogs and running multiple dogs and schedules and stuff....doesn't that take a lot of stress off?

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Sloan is Denis' dog, if we god forbid broke up she would go with him. However, I took her to work daily, I trained her in agility, I trial her, and he trains and trials in IPO, Dock, obed, and whatever else they try. The pit bulls are "mine" but he pulls plenty of weight with them. Backup is technically mine but honestly Denis is the reason he hasn't been sold a few times.

They're all "our" dogs really and sharing walks, money, energy, and management makes a world of difference.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:11 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
If you only had one dog they'd be left home alone anyway when you went to non-dog places.
What are those??

Old 11-12-2012, 09:21 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
For those of you who have 3 or 4 + and say it's hard, especially with sporting weekends, events, and dedicating time like that...do you think it's easier if you're not active in dog sports? If you just need to worry about training, exercise, care...and you're not worried about entry fees and equipment and traveling with four dogs and running multiple dogs and schedules and stuff....doesn't that take a lot of stress off?
Actually right now without training and trialing (new city, still trying to figure out where to train and can't afford trials yet) it hasn't changed a lot.

If I had only Arnold who could take or leave training/sporting I wouldn't mind. He loves to be with me but frankly has no interest in challenging his mind and body. My other three however live for it and it would be cruel to deny them it.

If I had a cohesive, moving together, and tightly bonded pack of "doggy" (most people know that as dogs that are more dog oriented than people oriented) dogs I suppose it would not matter but each of my dogs looks at me like I am all that matters (a lot of that is trained on purpose) so when I leave I have to look at these eyes and I feel the guilt even knowing they just sleep while I am gone.

My wheaten, he's my dads now, never cared one bit. He would maybe glance my way and then trot off to do his own thing with the other dogs or cats or dust mites. If I had "roommate" dogs, like I call him, it may be different.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:22 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Yeah like I said in my original posts, the number of "household" dogs I could handle is much higher. My current four would be no problem at all and I could probably add a couple more provided they are good fits. We do a lot of group activities from hiking and walks as well at lake time, etc., where more isn't really an issue, and without trialing and training-for-competition taking up my time it would be even easier to ensure each dog has one-on-one time in addition to the group activities.

Problem is that there is no such thing as a pet-only dog here lol. Right now there's only "competing", "indeterminately benched", and "temporary". They are still pets first but that other side of our relationship takes up a lot of resources.

Although to be honest, if I didn't compete I would probably have fewer dogs, not more. Mostly because I would probably travel more and it's much easier to travel with one dog than several, especially if you're visiting folks who are only somewhat dog-friendly or staying in hotels.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 11-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post

Although to be honest, if I didn't compete I would probably have fewer dogs, not more. Mostly because I would probably travel more and it's much easier to travel with one dog than several, especially if you're visiting folks who are only somewhat dog-friendly or staying in hotels.
Yup, the more you compete the more dogs you acquire or want to acquire it seems.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:41 AM
swimming upstream

Quote:
Pshh you guys are all suckers, I don't feel bad about leaving one dog home alone If you only had one dog they'd be left home alone anyway when you went to non-dog places.
the last time I left Wilson home by himself..he bit through the copper pipe in the bathroom! My husband came home to water all over the floor, and a panicked Wilson. Lesson learned...never leave that hound by himself. I think he thought he was deserted again. So for me, it's a two some or none.