Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
I was imagining more like, ricocheting off the walls and tearing holes in the drywall in the process.

Hahaha...riding the ceiling fans...super speed circling Malinois!

Old 11-10-2012, 06:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Yeah, laughing, until you desperately need sleep. -_-
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:39 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Yeah, laughing, until you desperately need sleep. -_-
That's why it would be an epic reality tv show vs. actual reality.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:45 PM
Top Dog

When I was in a committed relationship with someone willing to help, in school and working only part time, 5 or 6 seemed so doable. Most of them would have been fosters, probably only 2, 3 would have been ours permanently.

Now, with a kid on the way, and two dogs in the house, I think adding one more would be the limit (for me...my family couldn't deal with that). The limit will probably be the same when I moved out, 2-3 depending on energy requirements/behavior problems/etc.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 11-10-2012, 08:00 PM
Top Dog

I think two dogs is the perfect number right now, while I'm living at home. We both take care of both dogs, but she mostly walks and trains Missy, and I mostly walk and train Jack, and it works. If it was just me, I'd probably have just one dog, just because I don't think I could give adequete one-on-one time to two dogs if I was 100% responsible for everything for both of them. I would definitely be fine with fostering though - I wouldn't feel as guilty, since it's a temporary situation.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:06 PM
Big Dog

I have 6 now, but would like to get down to 3 or maybe 4.

Greyhounds make it hard to do b/c it is so easy to just add another and then another! But the Dogos make it easy to say NO b/c one Dogo is enough for me at a time!

In my perfect world I would go back to 1 Greyhound, 1 Doberman, and 1 Dogo, but I doubt that will ever happen again.

I like 3 big dogs, but then sometimes I do like the smaller dogs too. Bostons, Frenchies, Jack Russells, Min Pins etc.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM
Top Dog

I have cared for a maximum of 11 dogs and 2 cats at once. Not financially, mind you, but that's how many dogs I cared for last fall. Two of my own, Tango (foster), and 8 dogs and 2 cats belonging to the person I was dogsitting for (she had 6 dogs and 2 cats but found 2 strays and brought them home to keep before leaving again). Tango and one of the strays she found were small, three medium dogs, and 6 large dogs. Yes, I CAN take care of that many, but I would not want to - I was mentally and emotionally exhausted, partially from the sheer number, and partially from having three dogs that were brand-new to the pack at the same time, one of which required extensive medical care and all three required extended introductions, socialization and training (my own two had been with the pack for several months already at this point - and even at that, Gavroche knew the dogs already because she's the person that took him in when he was a stray). I also had school and work, and they were both 30-45 minutes away from where I was dogsitting. AND two of the dogs had to go to laser therapy an hour away twice a week. At least we had several acres and a HUGE house.

I think my personal limit will be 3, possibly 3 plus a foster (or an older retired pet that is JUST a pet and not a competition dog). Right now two is a good number. Logan is finally trained enough to work, Gavroche is in semi-retirement from trialing, and I've been "grounded" from trialing for the better part of a year due to financial issues and car troubles. I've got the UKC club to work on, and I do spend quite a bit of time with that, and I have two jobs and school. I don't think I could handle 3 dogs right now, even if one was a foster (which is fine, with my record apparently I foster a chihuahua every other year, and since I had one last year... )
Old 11-10-2012, 09:26 PM
swimming upstream

I really enjoyed having three--I was able to take one out at a time and then the other two were able to keep each other company. Now, it's pretty much I take both, or none--since they don't do well by themselves. However, my two are so well matched at this point--in terms of exercise needs, etc. I think it would be hard to introduce another into the mix. So I guess it's just the hound brothers for the duration...which is fine. I do miss having a retriever--but I adore my hound boys too.
Old 11-11-2012, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

So much depends on so many factors. When I was living in Idaho and was much more active in the way of hiking, I had four dogs and sometimes 5 including one foster for a short time. We hiked off leash every day practically, so it was easy to take them all. They all had good recalls and it just worked out fine. I had fun with all of them and the only time it was inconvenient was when I came to Washington to visit my family. It was a little much to have the four dogs.

Now I'm down to two and they're both Chihuahuas, so very small. They like walks, but don't require a big to do as far as exercise. If I miss a day here and there, they're fine. I walk, but haven't really gone hiking like I did in Idaho. I probably will when I figure out where to go, but it won't be as easy as it was there. I'll have to drive a little ways to get to the hiking trails. Anyhow, I'm older, less active in that way, don't do dog sports at this time, although I might at some time again. The two are easy if I go visit someone where I'll be there a long time. They're easy in many ways. They're also older and laid back. I don't think I'd go for the stimulation of more than two anymore. I don't know that I'd like having only one dog. Jose` and Chulita are so crazy about each other, keep each other company when I'm not here, and are very entertaining to watch interact. I really do love having the two small dogs now at this time in my life and where I live.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 11-11-2012, 05:45 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Sigh. So many pros and cons to each. Honestly I would love to be with one dog again. However there is no one breed that fits everything we want. Joshs bird dog will be his. He will do the training and all that junk. My koolie or acd will be just that. Mine. I will do the training and exersizing (I know that is spelled wrong) and will go to work with me. And then there is the fact that I can't see us without a bully. Maybe we can stick to three and have a fourth intermittenly when one gets old and we bring a proformance pup in or foster.

Josh keeps telling me to quit worrying about it and that it will just fall into place. Ha. Not with this kid.

I'm pretty sure I'm convinced to stick with three as a general rule. Btw that 9 mal show would be crazy!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle